How to clean a Marlin Model 60 .22 semi-auto?

Gremlin

I love this little Marlin 60SB--it's stainless with a nice looking walnut stained stock. I put a Simmons 4x40 scope on it and it's a pretty good shooter.

After several hundred rounds run through it, it has developed the bad trait of wanting to jam on ejection. I am certain it's because the action has never been cleaned properly. I bought it used and didn't get a Handbook with it. I've cleaned the barrel and swabbed what powder I could get at with Hoppes 9 on a swatch, but I know that's not enough.

Can anyone help me with an idea of how to take the gun down and do a thorough cleaning?

Thanks!

Ewok_Guy

Take out the 4 main screws in the bottom. The barrel/receiver should drop right out of the stock. From there, heavily oil everything inside the receiver and scrub it to death with a toothbrush. The toughest part are the edges inside the action.
A patch on the end of a dull knife usually cleans out the cracks well for me.
Good luck.

DMK

Write a letter to Marlin, they'll send you a manual. They did for me and my used 39A.

==========================
To obtain an Owner's Manual
Please send your name and address to:
Marlin Services
P.O. Box 248
North Haven, CT 06473

==========================

Mal H

Staff
Send for the manual as DMK suggests.

In the mean time, you can safely take it apart like Ewok_Guy says, but it isn't necessary to remove all 4 screws on the bottom, only the large one and the one in the rear of the trigger guard (not the one at the very rear in the stock).

You can then remove the entire action assembly by removing the black plastic pin toward the rear of the receiver by pushing on the smaller end of the pin. Pull it up at the rear and out towards the rear. It isn't necessary to remove any pins or parts from the action block.

Clean out the action with a good spray gun cleaner and lightly oil the moving parts. I think E_G and I disagree on the amount of oil to use. Too much oil will trap powder residue and you will have to clean the action more often. I wouldn't oil inside the receiver shell at all.

dZ

mine would not cycle sub sonics
until i spritzed it down with CLP,
cycled the bolt 20 times,
and wiped it out with a bore mop

Zorro

Well there is another way.

Take the action out of the stock.

Remove the bolt.

And then flush it out with as much WD40 as it takes.

HSMITH

Push out the pins for the trigger group and drop it out. Hose both the action and the trigger goup down with WD or CLP. Go do somethig else for a half hour or more. Come back and pop the bolt out. Hose EVERYTHING out with plastic safe contact cleaner and put it back together. You are done. Shoot it BONE DRY.

This has worked for mine for 15 years and 50K+ rounds of ammo. I need a new extractor now, and new springs. Pretty good record.

Gremlin

Thank you all for your insights. It's this brotherhood of arms that keeps me coming back to The Firing Line again and again!