How to best cut/shorten a wooden stock?

idek

Several years ago, I ordered a walnut stock from Boyd's. Unfortunately, I ordered it too long (I was thinking shotgun LOP when ordering a rifle stock). I'd like to cut it down, but I'm worried about getting ragged edges and splinters if I just start cutting.

Any advice on how I can do this at home without it getting ugly?

TXAZ

If you want it to look good and don’t have the wood finishing tools take it to a wood shop.

jfruser

I cut my son's & daughter's crickett rifle laminated stock back when they were too small for the, uh, "stock" stock.

I wrapped the general area with painters tape, measured several times and then marked the cut line c a r e f u l l y. I securely clamped the stock to a work table, taking care not to scratch things. I oriented the stock such that i could run along the table (sacrificial) edge with the shiny new fine cut circular saw blade. I set it up with care and made a good cut.

Nowadays I have a table saw and I would use that instead of my circular saw. Using the table saw almost feels like cheating.

Alternately, have a wood shop or gunsmith do it for you. Had an old gunsmith cut down my wife's shotgun butt and mount a recoil pad. Beautiful job, just beautiful. If the stock or rifle is spendy or sentimental, might wat to go this route.

JWT

If it's walnut it was not inexpensive. I'd take it to a competent gunsmith that know what he's doing. To easy to screw up it you don't have the skills or the tools.

50 shooter

If you can't do it or don't feel that you have the skill to do it right, take it to a cabinet shop.

They're used to working with small pieces of wood that have to have a high degree of craftsmanship done to it.

Just remember to measure twice and cut once, be sure your line is straight. Remove any screws/bolts that might get in the way of the saw blade.

Also remember that there are plenty of videos on YouTube on how to do it yourself!

Pahoo

Miter saw, 80-tooth blade.

I'd like to cut it down, but I'm worried about getting ragged edges and splinters if I just start cutting.

Last season, I had a SXS whose length of pull was too long for me. In addition to that, I wanted to add a rubber recoil pad. In my lifetime, I have only had to cut about six stock and this one went quite well. Shotguns are very tricky in that there are many factors involved. ..... ;)

There is a video on YouTube and he used an electric miter saw. He used a 10" saw bade, Fine cut. I used a 60 or 62 - tooth blade. I followed his setup cause he made it look so easy and the setup too, more time than the actual cut. It really came out good and I'm sold on this method. .... :)

If you wish, I can go back and find the video for you? .... :)

Be Safe !!!

FITASC

If it's walnut it was not inexpensive. I'd take it to a competent gunsmith that know what he's doing. To easy to screw up it you don't have the skills or the tools.
JWT is offline Report Post Quick reply to this message

Not all gunsmiths are competent when doing stock work; I would find a stockmaker if it is an expensive piece. How did you determine what your LOP is? Did you figure out about DAC, DAH, any cast, pitch, rifle comb, toe in or out, etc.

44 AMP

Staff
Standard advice in the DIY gun books for generations was to use a fine tooth saw blade. and TAPE.

Tape the stock where you are going to cut. Make sure there's full contact between the tape and the wood. CUT THROUGH THE TAPE.

All comments about proper measuring and getting a straight cut still apply.

Cutting through the tape prevents edge splintering (provided the tape is properly adhering full contact with the wood). (press it down real good:D)

More than one thickness may be needed, practice on scrap wood FIRST!!!

Scorch

In addition to taping the stock, cut it about 1/4" longer than you anticipate cutting it to and grind the stock to finished length on a disc grinder.