How to align adjustable sights?

Rich Miranda

Hi everyone. This is my first post here, but I post regularly on shotgunworld.com. Since I need pistol advice, I thought I'd join y'all here. So, here is my first question! :)

I have just one handgun, a Ruger P90, which pretty much drills a hole in targets at SD distances, so I have never dealt with this issue before.

My brother-in-law has a S&W SWVE40 (not exactly sure of model number, but one of those polymer jobs). We went to the range today and I got to use his gun. After I compensated for the long and heavy trigger pull I was getting decent, consistent groups. The only problem was that I was putting holes in the paper to the left and bottom of where I was aiming. I believe the rear sight is adjustable on his .40, but what is the process for adjusting it? (Not just which way to move the sight, but the entire process).

Thanks in advance for the info.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Shooting low & left is very common for a right handed shooter trying to get used to a difficult trigger. I wouldn't be in a hurry to adjust the sights. ;)

B.N.Real

It's pretty easy when you understand that they are only two screws

-one going sideways (windage) and
-one going up and down(elevation)

on your back sight.

(Most front sights are for the most part- not adjustable-without replacing the front sight or sanding it down-even though they might be adjustable for side to side-doing so can make them loose-if you dont know how to fix them in place)

Just remember that a very small turn on those screws goes a long way.

You can actually see which way the screws are moving the sight by looking closely at the sights as you turn that screw.

Just be ready to put that screw right back where it was at as you do this.

Some sights have click stops that will allow you to just move the sight one click at a time.

To sight in a handgun,you'll need a box of ammo of the type that you're going to shoot on a regular basis.

You should never have to reset your sights for every time you get a different box of ammo of the same type ammo unless you are a competition shooter ( I doubt they do this either).

All your target setting shooting must be done with the pistol on a rest of some sort where you can get the exactly the same sight picture every time.

Whatever type screw your sights has make sure you use a screwdriver or allen wrench that FITS IT RIGHT.

You mangle up that screw slot and your adjustment day is OVER.

Also,the direction of the threads of a screw determine which way to will turn that screw to make an adjustment.

So if you find yourself making an adjustment and the bullet hole on target keeps going away from where you want it too more and more-by all means-turn the screw back the other way.

Anyway,start at the seven yard target mark and see where the gun is shooting.

Adjust the screw for windage-the one of the side of the sight first.

You say you are shooting left.

Then you should turn the screw on the sights an eighth of a turn clockwise(provided the sight screw is on the right side) and see where it is shooting.

Once you get the bullet hole on target inline with the bullseye,then you adjust for elevation.

Remeber,if you are getting the same sight picture every time-with quality sights-adjusting the elevation screw should not change where your gun is shooting side to side-much.

But also remember-most handguns especially semi auto ones-are not supremely accurate.

From shot to shot,you will get some change in where the bullet is going-it's should'nt be an inch this way or an inch that way at seven yards though.

If it is,you are changing your sight picture,or your gun barrel is really dirty or the ammo you're shooting may not be optimum for the gun your shooting.

Anyway back to elevation.

Again shooting from a rest with exactly the same sight picture- find out where the bullet hits on the target.

It should be inline with the bulleye now but still low.

As you say you were shooting low.

Again,small adjustments go a long way.

The rear sight elevation screw should be on the top of the rear sight body.

You want to raise that back sight to raise the front angle of the gun.

So you should do an eighth turn clockwise and see where it is shooting.

Continue adjustments until you are shooting in the bullseye.

If you take you time and have patience with yourself and the gun,it's kind of fun to watch that bullet hole go from way over here to dead on target.

Just remeber you set your sights up with a certain type of ammo-hopefully the type you will shoot most often.

If you change bullet types,weights or ammo manufacturers you may get a difference where the gun shoots but with a quality firearm and quality ammo,the change in bullet impact should be consistent and predictable.

Once you get the handgun on target at seven yards,you can move out to fifteen and farther out and do adjustments as necessary.

Most handgun and rifle sights for that matter will not last very long if you make it a habit of changing them often.

They are made to set the gun to shoot on target within the designed in capabilities of the weapon with a certain type of ammo.

Changing your sights once you have them set with the primary type of ammo your going to shoot should be the LAST thing you try to fix a targeting problem.

If I've made a mistake in this post please correct me here,I want to give as accurate a description of the process as possible.

Hope this helps,the otherTexasRich-great luck with that Smith,I'm sure you'll get her firing straight.

Alleykat

I always prefer giving correct information in a few words, as JohnK did, over giving 1000 words of non-germane blather. :D

Rich Miranda

First of all, thanks BN Real for the excellent reply! I now feel fully qualified to "attempt" to adjust sights! :)

As for John's comment regarding right-handed shooters getting used to difficult triggers, I must say that I did not know that. I suppose I should make sure that the sights actually need adjusting before I try it!

Thanks again BN Real. I copy and pasted your posted into a word doc so that I always have it.

omaha64

Shooting low & left is very common for a right handed shooter trying to get used to a difficult trigger. I wouldn't be in a hurry to adjust the sights.

Trigger management and a good grip are the factors that finally helped me to overcome the low&left problem. I shoot regularly and dry fire almost everyday until that one particular day at the range when I noticed that my groups moved toward the center considerably. There's no substitution for repetition.

shepherddogs

I quit saying anything about adjusting sights. Everytime I do someone says its the shooters trigger pull. I guess I just figure they had that part decided. Rarely do I see a new gun come out of the box that shoots where it is pointed. I've had Rugers shoot a foot left at 25 yards with the rear sight all the way right. Sent 2 of them back like that. Quality control is not what it used to be especially on lower priced guns.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Rarely do I see a new gun come out of the box that shoots where it is pointed.
If I had your experience, I might think the same way you do. Mine has been just the reverse. In all of my autopistol purchases, I've had only one that didn't shoot to point of aim. It was an autopistol with a known issue with the sights--called the sight manufacturer and they immediately knew what I was talking about.

So I guess I'm a little more skeptical than some... ;)

SkiShoot

I'm a new shooter and was hitting a lot low and to the left... trigger control is really where it's at. I used my snap caps and practiced shooting speakers and doorknobs in my house for a week or two before my next range trip. I also worked on keeping both eyes open instead of squinting w/ one eye. Guess what? Those groups tightened up TREMENDOUSLY... to the point where I was like "whoa", and I was juiced again. I intend to keep practicing the dry firing and see if it keeps getting better.