How To Adjust Semi Buckhorn Sights??

BlackPowderBen

Hi folks,
Put some rounds on paper with the remington revolving carbine today, it's shooting about 12" low and 6" right pretty consistently with different loads.
How do I adjust the semi buckhorn type sight it has?
Thanks for your time.

NoSecondBest

Without knowing what that sight looks like it would be hard to say. At the least I'd suspect that it is in a dovetail and can be drifted to adjust windage. Up and down? If no adjustment on the sight you can either change the load, change the sight picture, or get a different height front sight. If I had a load that grouped good, I'd simply change the height of the front sight....higher to shoot lower, or lower to shoot higher. If you have something like a Skinner sight on the front you can file it down until you hit the POA since you can buy one that is overly high to start with.

Gemmer

For lateral adjustment, drift rear sight to the right. For vertical adjustment file front sight down or replace front sight with a shorter version.

Wyosmith

The rule is as follows
Move a rear sight in the direction you want the impact to go. In other words if a gun shoots right you move the rear sight to the left. Up moves the strike up, left moves the strike left, and so on.

Move the front sight towards the miss. If the gun misses low and to the left lower the front sight (file it down or replace it with a lower one)and move it toward the hole, in this case to the left.

Wyosmith

Uhhhh.
I am not sure what you are asking.

Your point of aim is where ever you aim the rifle.

Do you mean point of impact?

Wyosmith

To bring the point of IMPACT up you either file down the front sight or raise the rear sight. Either one will work. On fixed rear sights you must replace the whole sight or you must silver solder on an extension and make a new notch.
Filing down the front is much easier.

To lower the point of IMPACT file down the rear sight and deepen the notch. Again, pretty easy.

g.willikers

Isn't that a step adjustable rear sight there?
The picture is quite dark and fuzzy, and so are my eyes, but it appears it is.

DD4lifeusmc

Isn't that a step adjustable rear sight there?
The picture is quite dark and fuzzy, and so are my eyes, but it appears it is.
_____

g. willikers you are right and I sent Ben a PM of exactly what he needs to do.
to make the adjustments needed, including 1 change at a time, adjusting his load as needed to work up a load (no shortcuts to do it right).

BlackPowderBen

Yes, I meant point of impact not point of aim, sorry about that.

I had it the wrong way around in my mind, I was thinking bringing the rear sight higher would bring the point of impact lower, I stand corrected.

Thank you for the instructions Dd4lifeusmc, I think I know what you mean about bringing the rear sight up now.

And yes g willikers, that is a step adjustable rear sight, I wasn't sure how to adjust it.

The distance I was shooting it at was 40 yards.

Thanks again.

Wyosmith

Just as a note to all readers:
If ever you can't remember what to do, just exaggerate the sight movements about 6" (yes, 6 inches) and it becomes evident.
If you raised the rear sight 6" you'd have to drop the breach end of the barrel 6" to align it with the front sight. You'll see the barrel is pointing way up in the air.

If you raised the front sight 6" you'd have to depress the muzzle 6" to align it with the rear sight.

See?

Make the rear sight hang off the side of the gun to the right 6" and the rear of the barrel would have to shift 6" left to align the sights. Now the barrel is pointing to the right.

See?

You can easily see what sight adjustments do by just exaggerating them.

Easy!

Last edited:
You might try shooting 50 yards or better to see if there is a improvement on paper than what you see at 40.
Adjusting front and rear barrel sights is a tricky proposition for those who have little experience in adjusting such sights.
That bumpy looking (elevator) thing set in the middle of the rear sight blade is your high /low elevator adjuster. The higher the rear sight blade is lifted above the barrel and held in place by its elevator. The higher your rifles bullet will target on paper. As I recall not having enough elevator to achieve bullet height wanting. Get out the old flat file and give that front sight a lick or two. Trick when doing? is not go overboard with the fronts sights filing shorter & shorter.

BlackPowderBen

I raised it up 2 notches, and it's hitting considerably higher. I'll work more with it and let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks again for the help.

Arub

Probably a dumb question but here goes. What is the proper sight alignment with a buckhorn sight? Front bead centered vertically or at the top of the opening? Thanks

Sarge

Buckhorns invariably have a small notch centered in the bottom of them. A proper zero will place POI on the top center of the bead, when the top of the bead is centered level with the top of that small notch.

If that sounds unnecessarily complicated, the average eye agrees. In hurried shooting with buckhorns, many tend to align the bead with the top of the sight instead of the top of the notch, resulting in a high shot.

I've done away with them on all my 'using' rifles and replaced them or modified them to this.

2015-11-021_zps2a27hrt3.jpg