How strong is the Walther P5 recoil? Handling?

Also curious about the P5 Compact. I'm still sort of a novice with handguns.
The strongest recoil among my handguns is the .380 PPK, and is Not bad-a fair bit better than friends' Polish P-64:(.

The only recent experience with a 9mm Luger handgun is the Beretta 92fs, but the handling/feel of this is rather awkward.

Could anybody compare the P5's recoil with any of the guns mentioned above? How about the feel/handling of either P5 type compared to a typical Beretta 92fs?

Pilot

I have the slightly larger P-5, and the recoil isn't bad at all. It is locked breach like a P-38, so recoil isn't an issue.

P5 Guy

The Walther P5c

The Walther P5c (compact) isn't all that much smaller than the P5. But much smaller than the 92. A sort of wide single stack 9mm as compared to those on the market now. Walther PPS, S&W Shield etc.
The P5c was my carry gun for a decade until it got too valuable to end up in an evidence locker.
To your question; the P5c is a *****cat as to recoil when compared to a PPK or P-64. Handling is improved over the P5 full sized due to the push button magazine release over the clip at the heel of the grip frame. Personally I'd point you toward a more modern pistol. P5s are going on 30 years old more or less. Repair parts are pricy.
http://www.pistole38.nl/?page_id=48

Last edited:
Thanks folks.

P5Guy: Yes, the prices had me skeptical also about the spare parts.
Compact prices are high enough to give you a t.u.c. (consciousness) of about 5 seconds with a rapid depressurization. Really satisfied with my Sig 232, but that pair are the 9mm (Luger) handguns which have strong appeal.

I totally missed the boat not only with most types of surplus ammo, but some of these handguns by at least twenty years. The handgun bug bit less than two years ago:( (age 57).

745SW

I haven’t shot my P5 much at all. The recoil is snappy but not much different than any other 9mm alloy breach-locked pistol. The grip is square-ish feeling. Size overall I find appealing as well as the hammer reach. Looks are nice but the finish is not durable compared to many a pistol today. Cost was always on the moon. :eek: