How soft is the wood on new WASR 10s?

The only wood on my other AK derivatives--Maddi "ARM", and two all-original Saiga rifles--consists of the handguards on the Maadi.

Nearing retirement next year, reading many hours abut guns.. I'm very familiar with all of the other potential AK issues, but what just surprised me are some comments that the wood is soft.
The soft Choa wood on my former, so-called "Norinco' SKS was way too soft. Lousy.

How much do people pay if they only want to replace WASR wood with a much harder, yet matching stock set, no matter how drab the color or finish? The earlier WASR 10/63 seems to have harder wood than the Chinese Choa wood on legions of SKS.

I'm not sure that I want to pay for a third AK derivative in 7.62x39, which could require $80 (?) replacement wooden parts due to easily-dented/cut wood.:(

Last edited:

gyvel

I'm not sure that I want to pay for a third AK derivative in 7.62x39, which could require $80 (?) replacement wooden parts due to easily-dented/cut wood.

Oh, go ahead. The gun you spend the money on is worth far more than the paper you pay for it with.;)

gyvel: without a doubt.
Dfariswheel: "Roger that". I've read about his excellent products and glanced over E-Bay and Gunbrokers stocks.

But does anybody know whether the generic WASR 10 stocks are about as soft as Chinese Choa wood on their semi-commercial SKS?:confused:

Last edited:
Sold my nice CZ-82 for AK cash, and trading that, plus the Polish P-83 and other cash tomorrow for an all-original Mak 90.

Stores around Memphis want $780 (plus tax) for a basic WASR 10. No way.
Stores are counting on/talking about the serious drop in WASR exports from Romania.

Disregard this topic, but thank you for the info.

drobs

The newest Wasr10's have a Yellow colored wood on them. It's the not the standard soft ammo crate wood like the last almost 20 years.

wasr%20(3%20of%207).jpg

I have all sorts of stocks on my AKM's. Have laminate Romanian which is pretty hard + Russian and Bulgarian poly stocks.

If you are interested in poly stocks the below link is still a good deal on Bulgarian Polymer stocks. They have a little discoloration but at $50 it's hard to beat. Note the lower forearms have the metal heat shield but the buttstock is missing the trap door for the cleaning kit:

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/STKAKA-BUL.aspx

drobs: thanks for the info, and it's a superb photo. My preference is wood, but poly is better from a practical view.

My prev. comment #5 described today's Armslist deal to buy/trade for the Mak 90.
Brought it home. Needed extra left adjustment on the already-offset (bit left) front post.

W 10 Retail prices now are insane: gun shop staff claim that Romanian exports to the US dropped off, and that no more are available from suppliers.

Last edited:

drobs

Ignition Override.

Enjoy the Mak 90. Post up a pic.

Looking on google images, I think those poly stocks at Centerfire will work for you. Some of the Chinese AK's has what was called a slanted receiver - which would make attaching that poly butstock a little difficult but not impossible. If the rear of your receiver is square you should be good to go.

drobs: A week ago I watched my wife post a pic of the CZ-82 to Armslist TN, which prompted the sale (cash for the AK), and will need to
write down the overall procedures/practice, the next time she does so.

A bit surprising that the nice all-matching 90 had a stovepipe misfeed (bullet angled upward) during the 60 rds., but with Wolf WPA it's always possible, even with a very tight, new S.Korean magazine. The recoil spring is somewhat weak.

The wood has no dings at all, and seems harder than the choa on my former Chinese semi-commercial SKS.

Last edited: