How reliable is your Steel framed SIG? (esp 226ST)

IM_Lugger

I have a 9mm P226 ST (stainless steel frame) that falls short of Sigs “to hell and back reliability” promise;

So far I had an FTE* on average every 85 rounds + somewhat erratic ejection (if I didn’t wear shooting glasses I probably would’ve lost an eye a few times already) :(

Now I will admit that all the ammo I’ve been shooting are my reloads (using different powders/loads that all work 100% in my couple other nines) and I also tried a box of 9mm military/NATO ammo and again had 1 FTE so I doubt my reloads were too light...

So what's wrong with it? :confused: Anyone else having these problems? I'm thinking it might be the extractor (which would explain the less then perfect ejection patterns) OR does this gun only likes REALLY hot ammo? OR is the factory recoil spring (colored RED at one end) too heavy for 'regular' power loads?

*FTE - basically the case gets cought by the slide, and most of the time it's completely inside the slide... BTW the gun has been cleaned after every range trip.

Last edited:

IanS

Over at SIGForum I've read about a few P226ST and P220ST who've had problems with their extractors. Notice the extractors used in the ST models are different from their classic stamp steel slide P series guns and the external ones they use for the stainless slide models. Send it back to SIGarms and tell them your problem. It seems they've been able to remedy the problem with a new extractor.

9mm1033

That description is exactly the same issue I had with my new XD9; except I shoot only factory rounds. I found the extractor (by using a magnifing glass) really was not completely cleaned. I used a steel dental pick to pick away tiny packed flakes of powder grim. Since that "complete" cleaning I never have FTE problems. However, I do occasionally get a spent round thrown back into my glasses.

gc70

I have a 9mm P226ST and have experienced zero reliability problems in around 4,000 rounds. The factory recoil spring and the recent Wolff replacement spring have not shown sensitivity to type of ammo. I often use the P226ST to introduce new shooters to centerfire pistols and even the worst loose grips and limpwristing have not resulted in cycling problems.

In short, the P226ST is not a sensitive gun; look for your pistol's mechanical problem.

IanS

I advice you to listen IanS, he is exactly on the topic.
Best.

Well, not quite. I think the P226ST uses the same slide/extractor setup as current aluminum framed P226 models. I realized that after I logged off. But there have been more issues with the ST model P226's than the aluminum framed models. The ST models do come a bit noticeably tighter from the factory though I'm not sure that has anything do with it. You might try factory Fiocchi but since you tried NATO spec ammo can't say it would make a difference. Otherwise send it to SIGarms. Ask them to look at the extractor and chamber dimensions. That kind of failure rate is simply unacceptable.

Tom C.

I have a ST 226 and it is very reliable.

Before you send it back to the factory, try removing the slide from the frame and remove the barrel from the slide and slide an empty case up the breach face under the extractor. The extractor should hold it in place firmly. If it doesn't, then either the extractor isn't fitted properly, or there is dirt/crud between the extractor and slide. It may be just dirty.

BabyEagle.40

I had a Sig P226 a few years ago and had very few problems with it. It was a heavy gun that I put a lot of rounds through. Before I traded it I started to have some problems with it but not ftf or fte.

IM_Lugger

After the last trip to the range I desided to take the extractor out and cleaned it; there was some dirt there but IMO not enough to cause these problems, will see if anything is going to change...

IanS, so there's only one extrctor availabe for P226 9mm guns right? Thats what I thought. I know there are two tone models that use stainless slide and allow frame....

BTW my recoil spring is colored RED at one end, how heavy is it? I'm guesisng that's a normal spring for P226 9mm? are there ligher once availabe (what color)?

edit : the spring is actually red not blue as I said before. I was thinking of M&P...

Last edited:

IM_Lugger

try removing the slide from the frame and remove the barrel from the slide and slide an empty case up the breach face under the extractor. The extractor should hold it in place firmly. If it doesn't, then either the extractor isn't fitted properly, or there is dirt/crud between the extractor and slide. It may be just dirty.
well I just did that and while the extractor seems to be fitted just fine there is a LOT of space between the extractor claw and breech face (probably double of the size of the case rim/grove. I also tried M&P and 92FS; M&P was a little better/tighter but very close to Sig, and Beretta had the best/perfect hold on the case...