How reliable are new chrome slides on KT P32s?

mini14jac

Here is the deal;
My personal P32 has been worked on extensively.
Feed ramp, slide rails, etc.
One or two trips to the factory.
Some parts replaced. I have given it the f&b a couple of times.
Now it purrs like a kitten.

I would like to get a hard chrome slide, but I know that you can't f&b them if you have problems.

What kind of success rate have those of you had that have upgraded to the chrome slide?
I don't want to start the "back-to-the-factory" cycle all over again.

Thanks,
JP

David Scott

We've only run about 100 rounds through our P32 since the hard chrome upgrade, but no problems there. Drop over to the bulletin board at the Kel-Tec owner's group and browse the P32 threads; most everybody is positive about hard chrome.

http://www.ktog.org

alamo

No problems with mine. I would recommend another option for you. I had my 2nd P-32 nickel plated by Jack Fuselier. He nickel plates the slide you send him vs. KT replacing your slide with chrome.
Jack does great work, many satisfied customers.

http://www.gunsmith.fuselier.com

Go to the link "KTOGers click here for slide plating"

Jack also did my P-11, looks great, durable finish.

Ledbetter

Send the whole gun

They will test it at the factory to be sure it functions correctly. Mine came back shooting great. Also, after you fire it a few times, you can fluff or buff up the wear points you see to smooth the action if you wish, using 1500 grit sandpaper or a buffing wheel.

Regards.

mini14jac

Thanks for the input.
That is the kind of information that I was looking for.
What is the cost, Keltec, and Jack F.

JP

alamo

KT - $20
Jack - $25

Sounds like you don't need it but he also F&Bs your slide prior to plating. Check out his site, full explanation there.

Kentucky Rifle

I purchased my P-32 as a blue model, but...

..I didn't even try it out. I immediately sent the top end to KT for the hard chrome upgrade. I had a source in Florida who told me that when you send the top end to KT for the hard chrome swap, they do the F&B (at least for the top) at the factory. I feel that this is true because my chrome feed ramp came back with polishing dust on it. I've heard nothing but good regarding Jack's work, however I think hard chrome is different from nickel and better to boot.
By the way, my new gray grip assembly looks fabulous! I can't seem to stop staring at it.
KR

Ledbetter

Nickel Guns

I have one, a Colt Government .380. I love it but I wouldn't buy another nickel gun.

Maybe a marine shotgun, if I needed one.

Go with the hard chrome. Of course, there may be qualities imparted by Jack's process that I'm not familiar with. But Hoppe's #9 will blemish most nickel gunfinishes if left on too long, as will other common bore cleaners. And what effect would that have on your Kel-Tec warranty?

Regards.

jtduncan

For $20 they will give you a new hard chromed slide. Work is done by Accurate Plating.

Just ask Cliff to do a F&B for you at the factory.

Mine is fine.

alamo

Nickel plating by Jack Fuselier has no effect on the KT warranty. The folks at KT know Jack well. I have used Hoppes #9 on my nickel plated P-32, no ill effects. I usually use that just for the barrel and Break Free for everything else. No problems with Hoppes on my chromed P-32 either.

mini14jac

Thanks again for all of the replies.
I am familiar with Jack Fs work.
I am a Ktog'er, but I quit getting mail from Ktog several months ago, for some reason.

I called KT yesterday. My slide, barrel, assy. pin, are going in the mail tomorrow!

Can't wait.

JP

mini14jac

Took my chrome slide P32 out and ran 11 or 12 mags through it. Mixed fmj and jhp.

No problems at all!
It may actually be more accurate than it was when I shipped it off.
Now if they would just make a single-stack .380!

JP