How Often Should You Replace Your Ammo?

Single Six

That is, the ammo you keep for serious purposes, be it SD, HD, or even hunting. For instance, I have a box of 230 grain JHPs for my off-duty/HD .45 that is several years old. Now, that's just the one box; I do have [and use] a much more recently-purchased box of identical rounds, but still, I wonder: How old is too old for "serious purpose" ammo?

The way I cycle my home defense ammo is pretty simple. When the pistol is cleaned I take the round that was in the chamber out to be shot on the next range trip and add one round from the extra box of the same ammo to take its place. Once a year I check all the other rounds in the magazines to look for corrosion. If any are corroded then they all are fired and I start over with new ammo.

Ammo will be fine for many years if stored properly, such as, in a temperature controlled house. If you are ever indoubt of your HD/SD ammo just take it and the gun to the range and shoot it up. It lets you get a good feel for the ammo you might need to use some day to save your life.

Don P

Every time you run out of ammo. Its not like bread that goes stale and the green molded. Kept dry last forever. Old military surplus proves that

Ammo if in good condition can last for decades. However, the field is not the place to experiment. That's what ranges are for. Use and replace.