how often do you strip down the AR bolt

btmj

After many thousands of rounds, I have never taken the bolt apart. I break down the BCG into the cotter pin, the firing pin, the cam pin (can't recall the real name right now) and the bolt.

But I never disassemble the extractor and ejector, and I can't see a reason to... but I am curious what everyone else does...?

Jim

Mosin-Marauder

I wouldn't go as far as to disassemble it to the extractor and ejector. Unless they get the extractor got so much fouling under it was stuck in the the open position, at that point I would get worried.

reynolds357

When something breaks inside it.
I soak them in brake cleaner every now and again, but for the most part do no maintenance to the bolt other than Break Free CLP.

MagnumWill

^^^ditto. I clean it to the best of my abilities externally and the front of the firing pin, I'll get in there in a few more thousand rounds but I'm more concerned about making the gun "shop-worn", rather than scrupulously clean.

Solution? My PWS piston bolt doesn't get too dirty :p

Homerboy

I broke mine down every time I cleaned the gun. Why wouldn't you? So easy to do. I broke down the bolt and sprayed the inside with brake cleaner.

Mobuck

UHHH, never. I don't shoot a lot of rounds through my AR's and soak the bolt in Hoppe's once a while which has worked fine up til now. I've assembled a bolt from parts but never disassembled one for cleaning.

trigger643

^^^ pretty much what Reynolds said. I might blast them with brake cleaner every now and again. I broke a firing pin about 10 years ago, but other than that no problems and no further preventive maintenance required.

Ritz

Another vote for the occasional dousing with brake or carb/choke cleaner, re-lube, and move on. In my somewhat limited experience (maybe 10-15k rounds total) through various black rifles, I think I took a bolt apart once....just to see how it came apart. Definitely not hard to do, nor particularly time consuming, but not really necessary.

reynolds357

I build AR's so I definitely know how to break them down. Point is, it is a waste of time. Even though it is not a lot of time, it is still time wasted. One might argue "well wasted," but still wasted.;)

Last edited:

SGTmario

I used to break them down every time I shot it since thats how we did it in the Army while I was in, the reason I bought an AR over something like a SCAR or ACR was because I was so familiar with the AR platform. My first AR was a SIG Sauer 716 which is the .308/7.62X51 version and it not a direct gas impingement type, instead it has a pushrod so the chamber and bolt does not get dirty quickly so I found it to be a waste of time to break the bolt down every time I shoot it, now I just clean it as much as I can and break it down based on how dirty the rest of the rifle looks after firing it.

USMCGrunt

I pull the extractor every time I clean it but then again, that's the way the Marines taught us to do it years ago. I've talked to army vets of the more recent pepsi generation and they are saying that their modern doctrine is to not take it out since they kept on loosing small parts like springs and pins. YMMV.
As far as ejectors, I seldom ever take them out for cleaning unless it's having problems. Now when I was a GS employee at Camp Guernsey, Wyoming as a ground combat skills instructor, we used old GUU's and when it came to playing OPFOR, I would go through a case of blanks during the FTX our students would go through. Hey, I considered a level of success during the summer months by how many cook-offs I had in an iteration! :D With that kind of abuse and with how filthy blanks are, part of my job being the CATM guy was to pull ejectors and clean them out when they started sticking. However, doing the old trick of putting a puddle of CLP on the bolt back and depressing the ejector with an expended case several times kept the fouling soft enough to keep working a while longer. I still do the same thing with my personal ARs and haven't had a need to pull and clean an ejector.

Tucker 1371

He USMCGrunt, they're not letting us strip the bolt down anymore either. Just the carrier group. If we get caught with anything more than our BCG broken down (the bolt, trigger group, etc) it's an NJP.

Dragline45

I spray the crap out of it with rem oil, hit it with a toothbrush, than hit it with compressed air to get rid of the excess. While I don't advocate rem oil as a primary lubricant, it's a great cleaner as it will dry and still act as a lubricant when left over.

Mobuck

used to break them down every time I shot it since thats how we did it in the Army while I was in

Son-in-law says that's not allowed anymore. Dis-assembling the bolt is an "armorer job" now.
I don't use harsh stuff like carb/brake cleaner-just Hoppe's #9 and blow out whatever comes loose with canned air.