How often do you shoot your old Revolvers?

deerslayer303

Hey guys,
How often do you shoot your old revolvers? I have an old HE 3rd model 6" barrel, that I guess was made in the 1930's chambered in 32 S&WL. The thing is beautiful and since I've gotten it I've fired it a handful of times. I have since acquired about 400 rounds of ammo and I want to shoot it and shoot it ALOT. But seeing as how its a rare bird I resist the temptation. But MAN firing 32 long is a hoot. SO i have been trying to find something modern chambered in 32 to blast away with. I don't really know who makes a DA 6 shot wheel gun chambered in 32 these days. THE STRUGGLE IS REAL! :D

Hawg

I've got a S&W 1926 3rd model made in 1930 I shoot every couple of months or so. I have an H&R Sportsman made in 35 I shoot a lot. Those are the two oldest revolvers I have left.

Sevens

I bought a 1917 made Hand Ejector M&P 4th change .38 Special for the specific purpose of shooting -- as I wanted to retire my Grandfather's 1921 version of exactly the same thing. All I can say is that I am NOT afraid to shoot it and if it breaks, well... it had a grand life.

My log says I have only 800rds through it myself but with this discussion as a reminder, I shall plan to shoot it more this year.

.32 S&W Long is not at all a "harsh" round. Old mechanical things certainly can break, but I otherwise would NOT stop shooting the one you have and love.

As for shooting .32 S&W Long elsewhere, you certainly can -- buy any modern Ruger chambered in .327 Federal or .32 H&R Magnum and your .32 S&W Long ammo will work very well.

Vet66

deerslayer303, so what value is it to you if you don't shoot it? Heck, a safe Queen speculating it's value is of no value for your pleasure. Load it up and
go shoot it when it moves you. Other than that it's useless. If money is the intent, then buy silver or gold, look at it.

reddog81

Assuming the gun is in good condition you should be fine shooting it as much as you want.
I'd make sure to check the timing real well before shooting it a bunch. That seems to be the most frequent problem I've encountered in pistols from the early 1900's. I'm guessing the timing issues I've encountered were the result of people fooling with the guns over the years and not a result of any inherent mechanical issues the guns might have.

Ruger re-introduced the SP101 in 327 last year. A quick search of the Internet didn't produce anybody that has them in stock except on gunbroker. On there they are priced around $650. Before Ruger re-introduced them the prices on the original ones were pushing $1,000. If you want one I'd try and buy it sooner rather than later. The rounds aren't very popular and they aren't really gaining in popularity either. I was planning on picking up one of the SP101's in 327 but haven't got around to it yet myself.

deerslayer303

deerslayer303, so what value is it to you if you don't shoot it? Heck, a safe Queen speculating it's value is of no value for your pleasure. Load it up and
go shoot it when it moves you. Other than that it's useless. If money is the intent, then buy silver or gold, look at it.

Fair Enough!:D You are correct. I don't really have any safe queens, well this one was teetering on it though. The limited rounds I did put down the pipe, the little thing is a tack driver. And the size of the old I frame is perfect in my eyes. If I ever run across one with a shorter barrel I will snap it up.

Reddog, The SP101 is probably the ticket! It can fire all of the 32 rounds can't it?

tallball

If you want to shoot 32 S&W long, the guns are very cheap. You will find plenty of them for sale on Gunbroker for $200 or less. No one really wants that caliber anymore. I paid less than $150 apiece for two nice H&R/NEF revolvers that had barely been shot (and they were even in 32 H&R magnum!). I got a nice Single Six in 32 H&R magnum for... I can't remember, I think $350. My S&W Hand Ejector in 32 S&W long cost me $125. I also bought one of those SP101's for around $569. The Single Six is the most fun to shoot. I kind of regret the SP101, as the trigger is poor and it cost so much more than my other 32's.

If it is a 327 revolver, it will also shoot H&R magnum, 32 S&W long, or 32 S&W. It might shoot 32acp and it might not.

If it is a 32 H&R magnum revolver, it will also shoot 32 S&W long, or 32 S&W. It might shoot 32acp and it might not.

32's are great fun. You can easily find something cheap to shoot them out of, so cheap it won't matter if it breaks or not.

Howdy

Getting back to the original question, I shoot my old revolvers all the time. In fact, almost all of my revolvers are pretty old. Most are at least as old as me.

This pair of bad boys has been shot fairly often in CAS. S&W New Model #3, made in 1882, Merwin Hulbert Pocket Army, 2nd Model, manufactured sometime between 1880 and 1883

SampW%20New%20MOdel%20Number%20Three%20and%20Merwin%20Hulbert%20Pocket%20Army%20half%20size_zpsvowqtqah.jpg

mattL46

S&W 1905 hand ejector in 32 Winchester. Don't shoot it often enough at all. Infact I've only shot it once. Need good brass and bullets and then it will be shot. I agree about the value of safe queens. I don't own any. I own shooters.

Skeets

Member in memoriam
Shooting Older/Valuable Guns

A Colt 1903 and an Oct.'43 Winchester .30 carbine seem to be in this category.I l'll shoot them3-5 times a year.I will say each time is special and different from firing my newer guns!

CaptainO

.32s are the most fun! And they are deadlier than many people think. The answer to the question posed is: "Not as often as I'd like".

Last edited:

aarondhgraham

I have a 113 year old Lebel that I shoot twice a year,,,

Meet Margaux

lebel.jpg

Model 1892 8mm Lebel,,,
This particular lady was built in 1903.

I typically shoot her twice a year,,,
On the first day of Spring (or close to it),,,
When I take every gun I own for a range outing.

On my Birthday in November (or close to it),,,
When I do the same thing.

I would shoot her more as she is a very nice revolver,,,
But good ammo is a bit difficult to come by.

But to truly address your question,,,
If the gun is structurally sound,,,
I'll want to shoot it if possible.

Aarond

roaddog28

I have to confess, may fifty rounds every two years. I have two S&W Military and Police 38 special revolvers and on Model 10-7. I shoot my Black hawk more. Its a newer revolver.

Grant D

Driftwood Johnson, those are some beautiful handguns!
And yours also aarondhgram.
I guess I need to go to some more gun shows.

The oldest I have is a Colt Officers Model Match made about 1961 and a Colt Python made in 1962 and they are taken to the range quite often.
The OMM is crazy accurate, and I would love to see what a real shooter could do with it.
My oldest handgun is a 1917 DWM P-08 but that's in another category.

John D

I have a 1895 Chilian Mauser and Remington Rolling Block, both chambered in 7mm Mauser, that I shoot all the time. I just load with reasonable pressures and these rifles shoot like they were brand new. The Mauser action is like butter.... (yeah, I know these are rifles on a handgun forum but the "age" thing is the same)

rodfac

I've got the same problem, Deerslayer. A safe full of good shootin' iron and not enough time to enjoy them all, and I'm retired!

One of note, similar to yours, is a 4th variation of the HE Smith in .32-20. It's in virtually new condition, shoots to the sights with a carefully adjusted hand load and sports a 6" tube. Truly a fine example...but I just don't give it the work out it deserves... Rod

rodfac

Driftwood...that's a fine looking pair of break tops the Merwin and Smith. Glad you get them out for a little exercise from time to time. Cast your own for them? How bout accuracy with them?

Too, how bout a pic of that gun box or cart they're displayed on. Looks like some pretty fair woodworking there, (the pinned bread-board end to the shelves they're displayed on!).

Rod