How often do you clean your auto pistols?

How often do you clean your auto pistols?

• After every range session (50-300 rounds)

Votes: 125 78.6%
  • After Every few range sessions (500-1000 rounds)

Votes: 24 15.1%
  • After several range sessions (1000-5000 rounds)

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • I don't clean them untill they stop working

Votes: 3 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

P99AS9

How often do you clean your auto pistols? I clean them after every trip to the range, and I usually only shoot 100 rounds of ammo each range session. Am I overdoing it?

floydster

I clean mine after every range trip, I shot a lot of lead bullets and they are dirtier then jacketed.
But even if I shoot just jacketed I still clean after every trip.
I don't liike shooting a cruddy gun.
Floydster:)

cxg231

From 1 to 200 rounds. If I am feeling energetic that's every range session (up to 100 rounds). So far I have not been lazy enough to go more than two sessions without cleaning.

farnorthdan

every time I shoot

I clean mine after every shooting session, not only because I am anal retentive and can't stand my guns being dirty but also to check for abnormal wear and/or damage.

Every time I shoot them

I clean the weapon everytime I shoot it. Each range trip=200 rounds, generally. Winchester 165 gr. FMJ is pretty clean ammo as ammo goes. Cleaning is theraputic to me. It is a relaxing end to a good day at the range and generally productive. I inspect the weapon carefully inside and out and that builds confidence in a weapon I literally trust with my life.

Sidetracked

I clean after every session (anything from 7-1500 rounds).

I also 'clean' about every 60 days if that particular pistol hasn't been shot.
A couple barrel swabs, wipe down, and a little oil... aside from normal wipedowns.

dave421

I clean after every range trip. When it comes to my guns, I don't take chances on anything. Cleaning them allows me to inspect them and ensure that everything is clean & ready for action without having to worry about fouling having a negative effect on reliability.

Plus, Hoppe's just smells so good!

j-a-r

I clean all my firearms after every range use. Especially my carry guns. I don't want to leave anything to chance. You don't want to have a FTF/FTE due to the gun being dirty. A clean gun is a happy gun as far as I am concerned.

J-a-r

gunhand

I don't always thoroughly clean my Buckmark .22 b/c it is a PITA to take apart and reassemble.

My revolver and XD look like new after every trip to the range when I get done cleaning them.

B.N.Real

Blued guns -every time.

Stainless,I will still wipe them down but I might let the rest go for a while.

I shoot mostly jacketed bullets through my auto's.

King Ghidora

It is possible to overclean a gun. Soldiers in particular are known to sometimes clean their gun so much they wear down important parts. It has been a problem with certain groups in certain situations.

Also am I the only one here who doesn't need to go to a range to shoot? I drove past a range today. It's the first one I've seen in about 4 years. If I want to shoot I walk out in my front yard where I have a perfect setup for shooting. I feel sorry for you city guys. I don't live in a deserted area or anything but I can shoot down in a creek bed type situation that was actually dug out for iron ore about 175 years ago. So I'm shooting down in a hole against a dirt bank. It's a better setup than any range I was ever at.

How often do I clean my guns? Everytime I shoot them almost. It's only when I have a lot to do that I might let a cleaning job go until the next day.

ChicagoTex

It is possible to overclean a gun. Soldiers in particular are known to sometimes clean their gun so much they wear down important parts. It has been a problem with certain groups in certain situations.

While I'm not explicitly saying you're wrong, this always sounded like an urban legend to me.

The wear on a gun from cleaning it versus shooting it is infinitesimal and you'd have to be scrubbing your firearm with an aggressive solvet about 24 hours a day to begin to wear one down. Soldiers, of course, don't do this. What wears a gun out is shooting it - and there have been a great many firearms shot to death. It wouldn't surprise me if more than a few military smiths generated these fish stories about "you're overcleaning it" to try to boost confidence in the weapon, by blaming it on the user. Furthermore it wouldn't surprise me if these stories were generated by NCOs to get their soldiers to quite wasting time messing around with their already clean firearms. While I really don't believe you can overclean a gun, every time you are cleaning your firearm that firearm is disassembled and not ready for immediate action; furthermore you run the risk of losing crucial parts every time you clean your firearm. I believe these are the reasons this practice is discouraged and not that you can "wear it down".

chubbmann

Cleaning my gun feels good and I love the smell of the oil with the mechanical action. When it is all clean, oiled up, unblemished with prints after a good day at the range I feel a peace fall over me like a job well done. Maybe that makes me a bit of a loon but I certainly can not rest well when my guns are dirty.

Dobe

Ruger .22 MkII or the like...about every 1000 rounds.

All other handguns with the exception of my EB....about every 500 rounds

EB...Every time I shoot it.

torpeau

Why so often????

If you don't shoot in dusty, dirty conditions and use non-corrosive ammo, what's the point in cleaning your pistols after every visit to the range? Okay, using dirty ammo like Wolf may require cleaning more often, but unless rely on your pistol 24/7 for protection, why???