How NOT to hunt

skeeter1

TALLAHASSEE, FLA. — Neither gunfire nor two days in a refrigerator could slay this duck.

When the wife of the hunter who shot it opened the refrigerator door, the duck lifted its head, giving her a scare.

The man's wife "was going to check on the refrigerator because it hadn't been working right and when she opened the door, it looked up at her," said Laina Whipple, a receptionist at Killearn Animal Hospital. "She freaked out and told the daughter to take it to the hospital right then and there."

The 1-pound female ring-neck ended up at Goose Creek Wildlife Sanctuary, where it has been treated since Tuesday for wounds to its wing and leg.

Sanctuary veterinarian David Hale said it has about a 75 percent chance of survival, but probably won't ever be well enough to be released back into the wild.

He said the duck, which has a low metabolism, could have survived in a big enough refrigerator, especially if the door was opened and closed several times. And he said he understands how the hunter thought the duck was dead.

"This duck is very passive," Hale said. "It's not like trying to pick up a Muscovy at Lake Ella, where you put your life in your hands."

© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

stinger

Do you have a link to that story?

My boss told me a story about a hunting trip with some buddies in which they shot a trunk load of pheasants, and then headed back to the big city. When they opened the trunk, one of the pheasants jumped out and flew across the street.

But why, oh why, would you put an animal in your freezer without gutting it first. I might not doing a good job of keeping crap (junk food) out of my fridge, but I certainly make a point to keep crap (poop) out.

trooper3385

I bet the ladies husband wasn't too happy after he got the vet bill. Lost his dinner and now has to pay for it. A friend of my dads told me a story from when he was a teenager. This would have been back in the 50's. He said that him and his friends had shot a deer and threw it in the back of the truck. Now, I don't think they were on the property just yet when the deer was shot. So they tossed it in the back and took off. A couple of miles down the road, the deer got its second wind and jumped up trying to get out of the back of the truck.

rantingredneck

I posted this story on the cabelas forum a few weeks ago, but I'll retell a condensed version here.

One day while deer hunting, my father in law and I ran up on a young fellow in the woods one day who was a bloody mess. We thought he'd been shot, but he'd actually shot a six pointer and thought he'd killed it. He tied a rope around it's neck to drag it back to his truck, but when he went to pull, the deer pulled back. It stood up and gored him and whacked him with it's hooves a few times. Luckily he was wearing enough layers of thick clothing that he was just cut badly and not fatally. We helped him out with some basic first aid and some tracking help (never found the deer again, lost the trail after a hundred yards or so).

stuckon308

I was kind of confused as to how it woudl be better to freeze the guts (etc) inside and then eat the bird. I just couldn't think of a solution. :barf:

skeeter1

Don't most people gut their birds before they throw them in the fridge or freezer?

Well, I always did. They do call it "field dressing" for a reason, and I didn't carry that big hunting knife for nothing.

FrontSight

Guys, it says REFRIGERATOR, not FREEZER

Nothing wrong with tossing it in the fridge for a little while if you don't have the time right there & then to clean it. Besides, it's the woman's job to do that, so maybe she just wasn't home yet. BAHAHAHAH, I'm kidding, I'm kidding...don't kill me, Spring Mom!

Csspecs

I pop the head off the birds I shoot to keep this kind of thing from happening. No one wants their dead game animal waking up.

FirstFreedom

You freeze the whole thing, guts and all, if'n you plan on mounting it. The story is hilarious, that the duck was attended to medically and saved; when the obvious *appropriate* reaction to "oops-didn't-git-er-done-with-the-shotty" would be to just ring its neck when you see that in the fridge. Absurd. But I'm glad it happened this way, for the entertainment value.

FrontSight

Eh, that poor thing deserves to live after what it went thru - it's a fighter! No need to always kill everything we come across...

SavageSniper

Trap and FirstFreedom are correct. As I heard the story on the local news here in Tallahassee, he planned on mounting it since it "wasn't too shot up". I am trying to find a link now for your amusement.

FirstFreedom

ok, ok, I'm on board now with letting the little fighter live. :) That fridge was probably downright warm compared with what he's used to.