How much would you pay for this S&W 586?

freebird72

I have been looking for this gun for a while, and I always see them for to much money, or they are 6in. I am not looking for a great deal, because I do not mind paying for what I want. However, I do not want to be ripped off.

It is a 586 no dash, but it does have the M stamped on it. It is blue, 4inch with box and papers. It is on online auction; so if I could get the gun, what would reasonable price? $600ish?

Also, if anyone notices anything that is not right about the gun, or if anyone has anything I need to know, please inform me.

I do have a question, I read the M was supposed to be over the model number, but in the 4th pic, the M is under the model number. Is this a problem?

pix886486718.jpg

pix369283973.jpg

pix832152287.jpg

pix176527449.jpg

pix122916870.jpg

Last edited:

dgludwig

From what I can see in the photos, the revolver appears to be in excellent condition. A "no-dash" Model 586 brings a premium price in my area but I think $600ish" is a mite on the tall side. $575.00ish (the "ish" meaning less) would bring it close to being a fair deal, imo.

DAdams

The market is one thing, your margin of utility is another.
I'd go six if I really wanted it. Maybe even 650. You going to shoot it or store it? Depends on if you are going to try to turn it over or run it. Great looking revolver and outstanding shooter.
With the right grips and some nice leather, that would make a heck of a BBQ rig. :D

FlyFish

I do have a question, I read the M was supposed to be over the model number, but in the 4th pic, the M is under the model number. Is this a problem?

Don't be concerned. I have a number of 586/686s with the "M" stamp. The location varies, depending (I assume) on where the stamper felt like putting it that particular day. If you ended up getting the gun for $600, or even a bit more, it wouldn't be any kind of great deal, but it certainly wouldn't be a rip-off either.

freebird72

I do indeed plan on shooting the gun. I have been looking for this exact gun for months now. I have passed on several gun at cheaper prices, because they either had locks, were 6inches, were in bad shape, or they were nickle; also passed on several 686s.

I just really like the look of the gun and I like the way it feels in the hand. I think it feels much better than any GP100 I have held.

Like I said, I do not mind paying for what I want. Do people who buy guns online consider the shipping and other fees to be part of the original price of the gun, or do they see it as a side expense?

DAdams

Typically the terms and conditions are clearly spelled out in the offering.

Usually shipping is outside the price of the advertised price.

Credit cards if accepted usually add 3%.

Good luck.

FlyFish

Like I said, I do not mind paying for what I want.

I agree with you. I've paid a bit more than a gun was worth (to others, that is) many times because I wanted a particular model or configuration and I've never regretted it. On the other hand, I'm still kicking myself for passing on some guns simply because I thought they were priced $50 or so too high. I'm finally beginning to understand that I can forget about that $50 pretty quickly.

Do people who buy guns online consider the shipping and other fees to be part of the original price of the gun, or do they see it as a side expense?

If I understand your question correctly, you're asking about how the buyer looks at the additional costs. Speaking for myself, I evaluate the cost of the gun as the total of the gun itself and all of the ancillary costs that I have to pay to get it into my hot little hands. So, a gun that I buy online for $600 that has $25 shipping and a $25 transfer fee at my FFL associated with it is to me the same as a gun in the case at my LGS that would also cost me $650, and I make my buying decisions accordingly.