How much truth to the rumor that CZ-75's have weak firing pins?

RCS

I was curious if this is a problem that plauges both new and old CZ's, or if it is just one of those vicious rumors. I recently mentioned to an acquaintance that I had purchased an old 75 and he immediately told me to purchase a replacement firing pin, because mine would break sooner or later. How true is this?

makarov

He may be thinking of the older CZ-52's which did have brittle firing pins. Even then they only broke if you dry fired the pistol, not during normal use. I had a CZ-52 and never had a problem with my firing pin. I have not heard of any such problem with the CZ-75 models, they are great guns.

- Makarov

Destructo6

The CZ-52 has a cast firing pin and can break if repeatedly dry fired. I haven't had any problems with mine, but have seen images and heard reports of breaks happening.

The CZ-75 has a machined steel firing pin and shouldn't break under normal usage and dry firing. The only dry fire precaution I see in my manual is don't dry fire with the slide off the frame (duh).

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. I've been shooting some 84 vintage CZ75s since then very regularly and am still using the same firing pins! No other parts have broken, either. Best.

RugerMarkII

I have owned a CZ75 since 1987 and love it! :) I have never heard of any problems with the firing pin and have never experienced any. I love mine so much, I am looking to purchase a CZ97B (.45 cal) in the near future.

Walt Sherrill

The only thing I've ever heard about "weak" components has to do with slide Stop pin -- and then only if a lot of Plus P ammo is used.

I talked to CZ about it, and they said the real problem, in that case, is that the stock recoil spring isn't stout enough for plus + ammo. They said that if you've got to shoot plus P, just get a Wolff extra strength spring.

[This message has been edited by Walt Sherrill (edited June 12, 2000).]