How much to restore rear sight, front hood to marlin 39a?

jimmythegeek

Looking at purchasing a used marlin 39a, price is lower than it would be with a rear sight and the front sight hood. Is it enough lower? I'm probably not in a position to do the work myself. I could probably find the parts somewhere, though.

michaelcj

Sight hood just slides on to the front ramp, slots already provided.

Rear sight:
Open Iron barrel sights tap in from right to left in the dovetail already there, brass punch and a little care with the hammer. [ BTW Numrich sells a "folding rear leaf" made by Marlin that is a dandy idea if you are going to add a receiver or tang sight #407610].

Receiver sight: if the left side of you receiver is already drilled and tapped, as many were/are, simple process of removing the plug screws and inserting the screws that come with the sight.... probably going to be a Lyman or Williams for current manufacture.

Tang sight: If your tang has the front screw drilled and tapped, as many were/are, just a matter of ordering the correct sight from Lyman or Marbles and using the supplied replacement rear tang screw and front base screw.

I happen to prefer the Marbles in this application as it is rock solid AND windage adjustable.

Hope this helps

Mike J