How much should I pay for a 99% 1982 Belgium made High Power, blue, in the original box?

FunGramps

Prices seem astronomical on these guns now, and I've read up on them and always wanted a High Power in 9mm. Should have bought decades ago!
I found quite a few that were used and not minty for $800-$1000, but the one I found that I liked, of course, was the $1,900.00 one.
It has the fixed combat sights.

Is that a crazy price? :confused:

Thanks!

Last edited:

veprdude

People changed buying habits and collectible things have soared in value. Add in some gun control stuff and the pandemic spree and that's not going to change until A) the economy tanks and/or B) risk of large scale gun control measures are shelved for the time being.

So back to you question- what's reasonable? Hi-Powers and other out of production guns (SA-35 doesn't count) are creeping up in value. $700-1000 is what you'll likely pay for a shooter made my FN. Nicer condition models will command more.

You might consider if you want to shoot it or hold it for collector value. Hi-Powers are very reliable. It's unlikely you'll find one that's shot out.

44caliberkid

For what you are describing, almost new in the box, Belgian made pistol, I would say $1000 tops. Are you going to keep it a safe queen or shoot it? If you’re going to shoot, use, the gun, then find one that’s in nice shape, but used in the $650 - $700 dollar range.

FrankenMauser

$1k in a bad market.
$750 retail in an average market.
$600 in a good market.

I love how people talk about the HiPower being "collectible" and the 'desirable ones' "rare".
Yet, there's one in every gun shop that I walk into; sometimes half a dozen.
But, of course, the "collectible" mystique means they're priced at $800-1,300 even if looking like they spent the last 40 years in the top drawer of a toolbox.

Every person in my family owns or has owned at least one HiPower. All fit "desirable" classification except the FEG.
The market is broken.

gc70

$1,900 seems like a lot for an FN High Power, although the specific gun may have some characteristics that a collector might pay extra to get.

Since you are generally asking about prices, you are probably not a collector, or at least not a High Power collector. A solid High Power-style pistol is what you are looking for if you just want a shooter.

Springfield's SA-35 is selling in the $600-$700 range while Girsan's P-35 is selling around $500. Based on those prices for new guns, you can decide how much more you are willing to pay for FN/Browning markings on used guns.

rodfac

Can't help you with current prices but I paid $935 for a "Practical" (9mm two-tone) in 2017. It was in 99% condition at the time. GB would give you some idea of what they're going for now. Be advised that the Belgium stamped FN's command a premium price (actually they're all FN's even if assembled in Portugal).

My preference is for a late model that has the beefed up frame, and a usable safety...BTW, I carried a well worn Hi Power in Vietnam 1970, as part of my flight kit, and lived in a Special Forces "B" camp while there. I'd gladly pay a pile of shekels for that old gun now...had to leave it behind when I DEROS'd.

Lastly, Stephen Camp's site is a fine source of info on all things Hi Power. The old man is long gone but his widow has kept the site open for interested shooters: hipowersandhandguns.

Best regards, & HTH's, Rod

Last edited:

44 AMP

Staff
Can't help you with current pricing, sorry, I will, however, make a point about "value".. the way I see it, the guns aren't increasing in value, but are going up in price.

Part of that has to do with the buying power of the dollar, and part of it is "get it now" idea, and how everything out of production is somehow "collectable"...

Last Hi Power I bought was Belgian made, commercial gun, very well done and cost me $300 however, that was about 40 years ago...:rolleyes:

$1900 is, to me, barking stupid, UNLESS you ARE a collector, with a fat wallet and it fills a niche you need filled.

And, even then I think its too much..:D

You can get a functional HP in good shape for around $700 + these days, how much more you want to pay depends on you. Brownings have always been expensive guns, the work is high quality and the finish is excellent. A weeks pay for an average middle class worker seems about right. How much that is in $ depends on what time period you're looking at. Right now, prices being asked are stupidly high, and will only get higher, over time IF people pay them...

Good luck. If you want a good quality, Hi Power pattern gun, the Springfield SA 35 is the best I've seen. If only a Browning (FN made) fits your wants, expect to pay top $. Good Luck

V35

Disclaimer: I know nothing about the FN High Power you describe, but you might find the following anecdote applicable to your concern or perhaps just for laughs.

A long time ago I was seeking a very specific gun that for whatever reason I was fond of. They came up on Gunbroker from time to time and finally appeared that met all my criteria. I submitted what I considered a reasonable bid, and lost.

Time passed, another one came up. I submitted a much larger bid, well in excess of what similar examples had been selling for. Hundreds more. I lost.

More time passed. A year or two. Another one came up. I reasoned that I really, really wanted this gun. So, I thought about what the others had sold for, did some soul-searching, came up with a much higher value, and then doubled that amount. The amount I bid was sky-high. It was a ridiculous, stupid amount of money to bid on a hunk of metal.

You guessed it, I lost.

Today, those same guns are priced well into the stratosphere, way beyond what I consider reasonable, and I am simply not willing to pay that kind of money. Apparently though, plenty of others are. Go figure.

My view is that they aren't making them any more, so it's not like you can wait six months and then have your friendly local FFL order you one that's new-in-box. If you want one in pristine condition, basically the question isn't "What's a fair price?" The question is, what's it worth to you?

CajunBass

Sure it's a crazy price, but it's what I'd ask for one like it if I was selling it. Why not? I'd be in no hurry to sell it. I'd probably only have one, so when it's gone, it's gone. There might be that one guy out there, who can't live without it (I've had it happen.) and just says "I'll take it."

I can always come down, but I can't go up.

So make an offer. Worse thing that can happen is the seller says "no."

FunGramps

Thank you all for your thoughts on this. Sounds like the FFL is asking far too much but following suit with most all the other internet dealers with their exorbitant prices.
There certainly are a lot of variations to the HP. Mark 1, II, and III, plus the highly sought after "T" series. Wood grips, Bakelite, etc. Then there is the one in 30 luger, which isn't as powerful a round as the 9mm, but supposedly feeds much better due to the necked casing.

I'll keep all your advice in mind!

veprdude

I'd be willing to bet most FN Hi-Powers these days come up for sale when the owner dies. I have 4 and have no intention of selling any of them regardless of price. I rarely see them in the wild.

PzGren

There are a few discontinued guns that have seen huge price increases over the last decade, the H&K P7 is one of them and the FN 35 is another. I sold a few Belgian High Powers in the last three years in between $1,050 to 1,500. Condition from very good to LNIB and they sold fast.

I have two left, one T series and one from the 1980s.