How much is too much?

mitchntx

I purchased a S&W MP 15-22 a few weeks ago.

I have to say, I enjoy shooting this thing a lot ... I mean A LOT!

When 500 rounds cost $14 at my local Wal-Mart, the range time is more than the cost of ammunition.

I've put almost 4,000 rounds through it. Today, I went through over 500 rounds!

I clean and oil it thoroughly after each trip to the range.

When I finished today, I was afraid to put it in the nylon lined case because the barrel was so freaking hot.

So how many rounds is too much?

The gun will fumble an occasional round, but it's mag related. Otherwise, it has be a rock ...

mitchntx

LOL at the responses ...

I have ten 25 round mags which I can blow through in short order. And because of the extended practice, I can reload a mag pretty quick as well.

So there isn't a lot of down time between 250 round segments.

Accuracy isn't an issue, either. At 50 feet, I can remove the numbers in the rings of a standard B27 target, standing and using open sights.

I'm also keeping a close eye on wear items. But there just isn't that many moving parts. Very simple.

Jo6pak

When you start selling plasma 3 times a week just to buy more ammo, maybe you should consider a 12 step program.

Until then bang away.

:cool:

Gehrhard

You Aren't Shooting

500 rounds at a time is too much, that's how much. Your appropriate target scores: care to share? That is if you USE a target, front!

You aren't really shooting, yo, yo, yo be bustin' caps n sit. Are you holding the gun sideways? Sounds like you are playing a video-game but with a real gun...

I'd recommend trying the proper trargets and learning proper slow, timed and rapid fire shooting in a program.

Hey, u asked...

Edward429451

Clean it every 1000 rounds whether it needs it or not.:D

500 rnds at a time isn't too much. You're not really going to heat that barrel up that much even with multiple mags and rapid fire.

mitchntx

500 rounds at a time is too much, that's how much. Your appropriate target scores: care to share? That is if you USE a target, front!

You aren't really shooting, yo, yo, yo be bustin' caps n sit. Are you holding the gun sideways? Sounds like you are playing a video-game but with a real gun...

I'd recommend trying the proper trargets and learning proper slow, timed and rapid fire shooting in a program.

Hey, u asked...

So did you ... but I didn't keep a "proper score".
Just playing video games.

CapBustin.jpg

After I got home I realized I left the numbers in the upper left hand corner ...

Last edited:

Wuchak

Ain't .22's grand? Too much? There is no such thing but when your trigger finger is cramped so bad that you can't move it for three days afterwards it might be time to back off a little. Until then have fun.

Gehrhard

Hey, now THAT's something! Nice system. Kinda like trying to shoot the red star out of the center of the target at ten paces with a tube of BB's at the State Fair to win a cupie doll. Got the circus and clowning-around out of your system yet?

Yeah, looks like you had fun. Now try a real, organized, shooting discipline's course of fire. Get the right targets, shoot them at the prescribed distance with a timer, upgrade your ammo and see how ya shoot for real. Challenge yourself, unless you're scared, and share it with us. I think you'll be surprised...

...and won't waste a brick at a time.

Last edited:

Jo6pak

Yeah, looks like you had fun. Now try a real, organized, shooting discipline's course of fire. Get the right targets, shoot them at the prescribed distance with a timer, upgrade your ammo and see how ya shoot for real. Challenge yourself, unless you're scared, and share it with us. I think you'll be surprised...

...and won't waste a brick at a time.

Sorry if this is comes off a bit rough, but what difference does it make how he shoots his own rifle and his own ammo.
What exactly constitutes the "right targets" or "prescribed distance"? And just when can we say we are "shooting for real?"

And how is it "wasting a brick of ammo" if we are having fun?

Can't a guy go out for the afternoon with a plinker and shoot at tin cans, or tennis balls anymore without being judged by someone on a forum?

Please, get over yourself

mitchntx

Ah ... I get your type.

Everything is about competition. Your version of fun IS competition. And can't comprehend some one who doesn't.

I'm good with going to my local range ... by myself, with a group of friends or my wife of 30 years ... and making holes in paper using whatever system that turns me on that day.

I became frustrated with auto racing because of folks that couldn't get their head around some one who was OK with 10th or 1st ... didn't matter as long as I was in the car and racing some one ... any one.

I won my share of races. Even snagged a regional championship. But enjoyed hanging out, bench racing and telling lies more than the competition. That trips a lot of folks off-line and they kept trying to "fix" me.

So I think I'll just cruise along doing what makes me grin for now.

Thanks for your input, though.

:cool:

Gehrhard

ok, OK. It was just tought love brother.
Don't have to compete but there is more to shooting than loading a mag and pointing the small-end down-range you might appreciate to make even more of your experience.

Hey, the Nintendo wii, well, nevermind...