How much is this worth?

I found a Winchester Model 94 30-30 at a pawn shop, it was marked for $150, and they paid $100, so I may be able to get it for $140 total if I'm lucky. Anyway, the actual receiver part of the gun has slight surface rust. Nothing too terrible, but enough that its noticeable and would need some attention.

Tom2

Clean it up

You should post the serial number if you don't know how old it is. If it is pre 64 it will be worth alot more even with a little wear. Are we talking a little browning of the finish or really ugly pitting and neglect? The big thing would be the bore condition and hopefully a lack of rust inside the rifle. If it is in good shootable condition, it is probably a real bargain price, from what I have seen lately. You could clean up the rust on the receiver but probably take it apart in case you get some abrasive or steel wool inside the guts! The deal with the 94 receivers is that the heat treatment or something makes them very difficult to reblue. I guess you could remove any loose rust and lightly polish it up, and oil it. A brown steel finish would not look as bad as a patchy bare metal finish on it if you tried to remove all the rust to bare metal. Good idea to take apart and clean and relube the guts of an old lever action anyway.

gak

...or do what most do if concerned...post the first 4 digits then xxx (check the archives, including fairly recent threads/posts for some websites that list serial number ranges and manufacturing dates.

One way to tell if it's a Pre 64 without even looking at the serial number or on the insides is ..on the bottom (underside) of the receiver ahead of the trigger/lever assembly is a screw...not present on the Post 64s until the 80s or 90s (?) again....a way to spot one at a pawn or gun shop right off if that part is exposed. I believe that the bottom screw only re-appeared when or after the angle eject (AE) feature was added...so there should be no confusing even an abused or well used later model with screw - with a Pre-64

Do you guys think the Model 94 is a good home defense rifle? I have AR-15s, Shotguns, etc...just want something simple for my "home defense arsenal"

gak

If pistol caliber (.357, .44 Mag, etc.) - yes. Also the various Win 92s and their replicas (various Rossi distributors, and now Armi Sport through Taylor's and Cimarron) as well as Marlins in pistol rounds. As a "ranch" home defense-to double for predator and deer as well, the 30-30'd be ok, but for more urban/suburban settings I'd go with one of the pistol calibers. In the more urban setting, 30-30 not only more power than needed for this use, but less capacity (pistol caliber levers in typical 20" carbines carry 9-10, some maybe 11 if carrying their non-magnum counterparts (.38 Sp, .44 Sp).

joab

Buy it, there's going to be a panic buying surge very soon if it hasn't already started, not that it's warranted

Does it have a cross bolt safety?
That will help you age it some.

joab

Standard length carbine holds six.

It would be suitable for home defense the round compares to an AK or SKS round and a lever action can be as quick on follow up shots as it needs to be with some practice

If you are still not sure about buying it and have more questions put something down on layaway and come back here with the serial # to check the date of manufacture.
There's a site that you can go to to get that info