How much is this brass worth?

BamaBowtie

I went to a local flea market today after a gun show that turned out to be a bust. In the back corner of a Mom & Pop booth I found an ammo can full of brass. I bought the can and the brass was free, now I have a bunch of brass that is doing me no good. What is a reasonable price for once fired military .38's with a WCC 72 headstamp? I have counted and bagged 700 so far and am only about half way through the can.

TXGunNut

About a nickel apiece would be top dollar if you can find someone who loads that cartridge, depending on condition. I have some newer WW commercial brass with a bit more experience if you find him.
I'd probably give it to someone who could use it.

Jim243

38 year old military surplus 38 spl brass, not sure??? Might get more at a scrap yard for the metal content.

Jim

Sport45

I agree with TXGunNut. Are the primers crimped? I don't know of any military .38spl used in automatic weapons so they may not have ever specified crimped primers for those.

BamaBowtie

*UPDATE*

The brass is counted and I have around 1775 of the military stuff and I tossed in what I had laying around and brought the total up to 1941 .38 spl's and 40 .357 mag. From the quick research I have done on this brass it does not have crimped primers and is supposed to be some pretty good stuff. I have done a quick price check on a few sites like Midwayusa.com and OnceFiredBrass.com, and the general price range is about $70-$80 per 1000.

Jim243

Sport45, I believe 38 spl was used by the Air Force for APs and the Marines for Embassy duty in their dress blues back in the 70s. All ammo ordered by the Department of Defense (DOD) requires crimps.

Jim

Last edited:

Slamfire

Military brass is good stuff.

Hardly anyone shoots 38 Special at the range, besides myself. The 90% rounds are 9mm and 40 S&W.

bullspotter

thats funny, About a year ago at a gun show , I found a guy who had about 1750 38sp brass, It was older wwc once fired brass. It was all crimped, and he was really having a hard time selling it, He had ammo cans for sale for like 13 bucks or so. I offerd him 25 for a ammo can and the brass, we were both happy. He said hes been trying to sell that stuff for a long time. Its really good brass, The max i would pay is pry $30 plus $10 for shipping for it, (1000)crimped brass can be alot of extra work. I would look on forums and gunbroker auction type areas for a price checks, also pay attention to whats selling, just because midway has it for 70-80 per thousand, dosent mean its selling.