How much insulation in Boots?

sgoeing

I am getting ready to buy a new pair of boots. Probably a pair of Danner "hawks" with 200 grams of insulation. I will be wearing them while deer and turkey hunting in kentucky. therefore, they have to keep me pretty warm while sitting still for long periods of time. However, I will be wearing them for various other things throughout the year. School, work on farm, etc....
So my question is. Will they keep me warm enough while hunting? Will they be too warm to wear other times?
Thanks
Michael Goeing
P.S. anybody know of any good hunting forums? I know i saw a link to one a while back but I can't find it again.

Cain R

I've got a pair of Danner Yukon's with,I believe 200gr Thinsulate. The key to keeping yourself comfortable is your socks. DON'T wear white cotton gym socks. Try a lightweight polypropelene liner sock (pure virgin wool dress socks will work) to wick persperation away from your feet, and then a good quality hiking/trekking sock. We've found the Ultimax, Irish Setter by Red Wing and Thorlo socks to be first rate. Match the weight of the sock with your expected daytime high/low temperature. Last season I kept my Danners on until late November until the daytime highs were only getting to -25. This system of a liner sock and a heavy, pure virgin wool Red Wing Irish Setter sock really worked to keep my feet warm and dry. Also try not to use too much snow seal or silicone on your boots, usually the gortex lining works just fine by itself, because the silicone/wax will seal in your persperation and act just like a rubber boot soaking your feet from the inside.

Hunterxx12

Sgoeing,

I don't want to sound like a salesman but you should have two pairs of books - 1 pair for hunting that won't be worn outside of the field & 1 pair for work. You don't want your hunting boots to pick up scents from your vehicle, house or anything else that doesn't smell like deer territory. I don't put on my boots until I get out of my truck and I still spray them with neutralizer. I hunted once with boots that I wore into the restaurant at lunch. When I walked back to my stand after lunch, I ended up leaving an unintentional scent trail. About a hour later a couple of does crossed my tracks and dropped their noses to the ground. Their heads shot up and off they were flags a waving.

I hunt with 200 grams in early fall when I do a lot of walking or dove season in September. In Illinois, I wouldn't consider still hunting in a stand for deer in December without at least 600 - 800 grams in my boots.:)

Fatcat

Maybe I'm wierd, but I wear 600 grams year-round (Danner Trophys). There's really not much discomfort when I'm working in the dead heat, but it's real nice to have when it gets cold.

But, like I said, maybe I'm just wierd. ;)

Erik

I prefer 200 grams.

400 if it hovers around zero during the day. (I don't own 400s, though. My 200s make due.)

I cover a lot of vertical, and weight becomes a factor.

Now, if I sat in a stand, I'd want at least 600s, depending onthe temp.

sgoeing

Funny this got brought back up. I just bought myself a pair of Danner High Countries yesterday. They weren't what i went looking for but i liked them. They have 400 grams. I wore them today and they seem to be exactly what i was looking for.
Thanks Guys
Michael Goeing

JAMES L.SMITH

WHEN DID KENTUCKYENS START WEARING SHOES? All kidding aside,I use 400 or 1200 gram boots depending on the weather when I deer hunt back home(across the Big Sandy)