How much endshake is too much?

Tom B

I have a S&W M67 that has developed some endshake. No signs of battering nor any reliability problems. I shoot only standard pressure 38spl thru it. Should I go ahead and send it back to S&W for repair? Any idea of average repair costs from people who have had this problem? Thanks.

GunsnRovers

Push the cylinder forward and measure the gap between the cylinder and the barrel. Take a measurement. Now push the cylinder to the rear and measure again. What is the difference?

The measurement you get when you push the cylinder to the rear will be your "best" cylinder gap short of turning the barrel.

.010 endshake would be a good time to retire. As long as you have good head space, I have seen .008 endshake shimmed back into spec and back into the shooting line up.

Also, how is the yoke? Any play in that?

Shimming a cylinder is quite easy to do. Though I think S&W will stretch the yoke instead.

GunsnRovers

No. Not bad. You could either put in a .002 shim or let it be. Most of the new S&W's I have picked up have had more then that. :)

HSMITH

Be aware that endshake gets worse much quicker as you shoot a gun with some endshake. A revolver with very little endplay will stay tight for a LONG time, one with .005" will get to .010" a world faster than the tight gun takes to develop it's first .005" of endshake.

I'm not saying not to shoot it, or panic or anything else. Just be aware that the next couple thousandths will come faster than the first couple by a large margin. Keep an eye on it, and send it to the doctor for a little work at .006" or so. If you let it get to .010" battering is real and can hurt the gun enough that it needs more $$$ to repair.