How much do you use a shooting log book?

Do you use a shooting log? If so, how carefully?

• I always log my shooting and I log lots of factors.

Votes: 13 19.7%
  • I always log but I only track the number of rounds fired.

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. My log is not up to date.

Votes: 13 19.7%
  • I never log and I don't want to waste my time logging.

Votes: 28 42.4%
  • Log books are only for nerds.

Votes: 8 12.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TenRing

I have the feeling that I should log my shooting according to which gun I shot, how many rounds, type of ammo, etc. However, I often make notes but forget to log them in. Sometimes I go to the range spontaneously and pop off a few rounds with my carry gun and those rounds don't really get counted.

Then, I'll talk to a guy who meticulously logs every shot, the accuracy achieved, the wind direction, the temperature, humidity and lots of other factors. That's when I think that I should do a better job of keeping a log.

It might help track maintenance needs and generally provide some useful info. What are you doing with respect to a shooting log?

rodfac

I'm an on again, off again hi-power shooter and use my data book pretty much religiously...it keeps me current on zero changes, wind and light effects, and positions. I don't keep a round count, but do keep a sort of record in the number of primers expended in a year. My son does keep a round count for his M1A.

For hunting and recreational use, I've got a range notebook for target sessions...used primarily for load development. Data from it is transferred to an Excel spreadsheet at home...a different spreadsheet for each gun...sounds like a lot of work but is actually pretty painless and makes it easy to review what worked and what didn't.

I chrono loads frequently and this data is entered along with extreme spread. I've kept a notebook since I first started reloading at the ripe old age of 16...48 years ago. I entered the data from the early years when I came into the computer age...12 yrs. ago. I back up data to a flash drive each time I get on the machine...then back up all of it a cpl of times a year to a disc. Forty eight yrs of data is a lot to lose!!!

Column headings are; Bullet, Powder, Charge Wt., Primer, Length Overall, Velocity, Ext. Spread, and Notes. Under Notes I annotate group size and any nuances affecting the grouping...weather, lighting, position etc.

HTH's Rodfac

BarryLee

I keep a note book and record the dates, number of rounds fired and any repairs or maintenance task I complete. Really this is just a maintenance tool for me kind of like tracking the mileage of an automobile.

brickeyee

I tend to log the long range varmint rifles to watch for any changes in accuracy.

When you need the first shot to count at many hundreds of yards on a small target you need to know that the gun us still behaving.

microtech

I think tracking the use of a gun is a good idea. i think a lot of machines have there usage tracked. I track the rounds fired trough my gun and amount of stoppages if and when they occur. my car automatically tracks the mileage with the odometer. When i was a manager at a movie theatre every projector had an hour usage meter on it. I think that in general, machines that are meant to be depended on should have usage tracked. It can help diagnose issues that may occur and help keep your scheduled maintenance in tact.

Sevens

I keep pretty good records in an MS-Excel workbook, mostly related to my handloads and what I've done, how they worked, my go-to loads and ideas for new ones, sources for old ones, etc etc etc.

At some point about 2 years ago, I started logging all of my shooting. Not ultra-detailed, but I do keep a round count for each different firearm and I also write a bit about the kind of shooting I was doing that day.

I wish I had started the shooting log 20+ years ago.

Iam2taz

Since I started carrying all of the time, I began keeping a log.
An attorney spoke at the second training school I attended and mentioned that it was very important to show that you practice, how often and how much as well as the type of practice.
If I shoot my rifle, I log that in too. I need to be a little more detailed.

Eagle0711

Excellant Resource

I find a log book very valuable since I use mostly handloads. Keep track of powder type and how many grains. The OAL and crimp along with bullet style, and accuracy. If any problems are notedsoI can remedy the situation. Also how many rounds thru the gun. Best, Lyle

austinjking

I'd like to start one for my M1A and my 700, but I know that two magazines in, I'll get too distracted and forget about the log book.
Now for annual rifle range qual, its pretty much mandatory to use one. Other than that, I do not use a log book.

kadima

I still have my old army shooting logbook, all pages have been filled so I prepared another one and keep record of what-where-when-how I shoot.

Useful for the laws of my country because the police may want to check where your ammo was used, useful for me to keep trace of what could go wrong (e.g. slamfires with the SKS :rolleyes:) and manteinance of the weapons...

K.

jglsprings

I admit I'm not as good about it as I used to be. In a former life you had to account for every round fired and the results, conditions etc. And I still am religious about my log books with my rifles.

My handguns are more date, time, load info, round count and any comments that I may want to make.

22s - date and rounds fired and location. How any gophers claimed... ;)

TenRing

Thanks for the responses. I'm convinced that I should do a better job of keeping a log. I bought a small notebook to keep in my range bag. I plan to take notes in the notebook and transfer them to an Excel spreadsheet once I return home.

I used to save targets from my shooting sessions with my hunting rifles so I still have some of those notes.

vytoland

I keep track of the date, number of rounds fired and the gun(s) used.
I then know the last time I've been to the range and when it's time to clean my revolvers

i use the computer and an excel spreadsheet.

8shot357

I log it in my brain. How I do that? At the indoor range I put out the target and shoot 5 rounds. I then bring the target back in and circle (magic marker) all my shot's. Than bring the target back out and do the same thing, over, and over again taking my time.

Sevens

One thing that makes it a LOT easier to get round counts -- since all the ammo I shoot up is handloads, it makes it's way to the range in flip-top plastic ammo boxes. I only have to look at my 2-inch by 2-inch post-it notes with load information to know exactly how much of each load, each caliber and so on that I shot. It's easier than stopping in the middle of shooting and writing things down on a notepad.

When I come home, I open up the big plastic toolbox that I haul ammo and magazines with and I pull out ammo boxes one by one, logging the empty ones. Takes only a minute or two. My notes are typically something like this:

Ruger P90 -- put through 150 rounds of Dardas 200gr LSWC pushed by 5.6gr Win473AA and loaded to 1.250" COAL in R-P brass.

Simple as that, and I keep a running count on a few different handguns with totals.

cougar gt-e

IF you are forgetting, put a small 50 sheet 3x5 book in each gun box and one in the range bag. Jot down your notes and then stick them in a spread sheet when you get around to it.

MidwestRookie

I only just started shooting but I have a spreadsheet that just keeps track of which gun, what ammo, rounds fired and any failures..and I mark the date. Other than that I don't know what else is worth keeping track of for me..