How much are they worth?

Deerhunter

I was just offered first crack at buying 2 rifles. They are a set, Remington Model 742 Canadian Centennial in .30/06. The other is a Ruger Canadian Centennial 10/22. They are brand new never fired in the origional box. They were released for the Canadian Centenial in 1967. I have been trying to find out what the value on these are. The guy in my office that is selling them wants $1000 for both. Just trying to find out if it is a good deal worth taking.

Thanks for any information. I need to let him know early next week.

Last edited:

Deerhunter

So either no one has any idea or no one cares, maybe everyone missed it. I just can't seem to find a good price on these. Still looking for any info you might have.

CW3-RET

Some food for thought as you are searching for the value of these rifles. It is harder in Canada to own a firearm of any type than it is to get CCW in NYC. I have a friend in Canada that does own a couple of rifles, but he was submitted to 2 years of investigation and waiting before getting his first permit to purchase. The pair of these rifles NIB are worth more to a Canadian now than they would have sold for initially.

Buzzcook

Commemorative guns were made by the truck load. With some exceptions their value as collectibles isn't much higher than the standard versions.
Gunbroker.com should give you a ball park value for the rifles. $1000 for both seems kinda high to me.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
It is harder in Canada to own a firearm of any type than it is to get CCW in NYC. I have a friend in Canada that does own a couple of rifles, but he was submitted to 2 years of investigation and waiting before getting his first permit to purchase.

It's not that difficult to get a license for long guns in Canada. Handguns are another story all together.

As for the value of these rifles....

They might be quite rare. From what I can find, there were 1000 sets made in 1967 that were the 10/22 and a Rem 742 is .308, however, there was also " "Matched #1 Special Deluxe" kit that had only 30 made and a "Matched #2" kit that had only 70 made. So that kit is probably pretty rare. I'm not sure but it looks like all of the 2000 were in .308 caliber so that particular one must be one of the 30 or 70 made....

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/EveryGun/GunMfgCategoryDetail.aspx?id=1656

Deerhunter

peetzakilla

Thanks. I was finding it with the .308 but couldn't find it with the 30-06. I really don't want to shell out the cash if they aren't worth it. I have the serial numbers from the guns. They actually match. I tried using that to search for them also and it didn't help. You have provided me a lot more info than I had. Thanks again

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
From what I can find the vast majority are 308.... the 30-06 almost, in my humble quite possibly wrong don't spend $1000 on my say so opinion, has to be one of the 30 or 70 made sets. It looks like the 308 version, 1000 made if I'm right, sell for between $1000 and $1500. If all of my assumptions are accurate then the 30-06 set might be worth substantially more, especially NIB unfired.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
That link I gave you will give you the Blue Book estimated values of each of the three sets for $4.95 each. I'm sure that it would also have more information about them.