How much ammo do you have right now?

D-Bak

I was just curious how much ammo you guys had right now in your possession? I just bought 1,000 rounds of 9mm so that brings my total of 9mm up to 1,500. I also have a little over 1,000 rounds of .22lr, and about 500 rounds of 20 gauge shot gun shells. That covers all of my guns. How much do you keep on hand?

Jason_G

Probably about 500 rounds of .45 ACP, only a few rounds of 12 ga (went skeet shooting with my brother the other day), and a little bit of 6mm Remington. I usually have more ammo piled up, but I've been kinda broke lately :(

Jason

JerryS1

30-06: 400 rounds
9mm: 1,350 rounds
22: 500 rounds
45: 200 rounds
40: 100 rounds
12 gauge: 50 rounds

I need more ammo.

Jerry

Phelptwan

Err...
offhand guess

50rds 12ga
100rds 20ga
1000rds 9mm (stocked up the other day at Wal-mart)
650rds 30-30
60rds .348
4000rds .22lr (slowly but surely eating into a surplus buy)
100rds .22wmr

44 AMP

Staff
Not sure....

The last time I took inventory was back in May of '05, and I have done a little bit of shooting, and not much loading since then. I don't have the exact number handy right now, but it was over 26,000 rounds loaded.

About 10,000 rounds of .22LR (maybe a little less now), and the rest centerfire rifle, pistol, and shotgun. About 70% reloads. I reload for over 25 different cartridges, and also have a small quantity of military surplus ammo, mostly for milsurp rifles.

Actual pistol ammo is probably around 5-6,000 rounds loaded, spread out in 9mm, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .44 AutoMag, .45 ACP, and .45 Colt. And I have about 75% or so of that much in brass I need to load up. One of these days I'll get busy again.:D

JAXX

.17 HMR---800 rds
.22 LR-----1500 rds
.270 WIN--700 rds
30-30 WIN-1500 rds
.40 S&W---1200 rds
12 ga------500 rds

I usually try to buy a box of ammo a week for 1 of the calibers that I own. I'm also digging a bunker in my backyard:eek: j/k

Manedwolf

Varies for the general stuff. The "local disaster, leave now, throw in car" bag has a sealed battlepack of 5.56, a tin of 9mm, and 100 rds of 12-ga 00 buck in a sealed container. Even if some sort of flash flood got it wet, it'd be okay.

General stuff...I think about 1000rds for each gun you think you'd have to depend on in a crisis is not bad. Ask anyone who went through Katrina how easy it would have been to buy ammo afterwards...!

BigJimP

I reload and keep an inventory of about :

1,000 - 4,000 rounds each of: 9mm/.40/. 45 ACP/.38/.357 & .44 mag
- but it depends on what I'm shooting at the range, or which guns I feel like shooting, so its up & down a little but rarely will I let my inventory get below 20 boxes for any caliber.

about 5,000 each of 12/20/28ga and .410 ( but I shoot skeet and trap too ) and again I reload. Again it depends on what my shooting and tournament schedules are and what gague I may be shooting in competition.

shaggy

I've got a bunch still on backorder from Sportsmans Guide, but if that comes in next week my total ammo stores will be something around 70,000 to 75,000 rds (centerfire calibers only).

JWT

12 ga - 1250 rds
.22 lr - 1500 rds
9mm - 1000 rds
.38 - 1000 rds

Been trying to buy when I see good sales.

44 AMP

Staff
Somebody asked if I worked for them...

No, I'm just an old fart who enjoys reloading ammo, and has been building up a stockpile since the mid 70s. Also, I have not done much shooting in the last few years, compared to the amount of loading I have done.

Go the gunshows, and always buy a few hundred brass, maybe some bulk bullets, and do this 3-4 times a year for over 20 years, and put together ammo when there is nothing better to do.

When you see than ammo can of 500 once fired .45acp brass for $20, including the can, well you just buy it. Well, then you need some 230gr RN, and you already have powder and primers, well, next weekend you have half a case of ammo. Go to the range and shoot 100-150 rounds, and the rest goes back into storage. Next time it might be .357, or .45 Colt. Then add in the occasional purchase of an actual case of something berdan primed, and over time, it adds up

For nearly a decade, my local Bi-mart store regularly ran a coupon special, Remington Viper or Golden Bullet, bricks for the same price, and always under $10 until recent years, so I always bought one of each, each time I went there. Besides, I was raising two kids who I knew would make inroads on my ammo supply when they got big enough, so it made sense to stockpile the rimfire stuff. Kids are grown and gone now, one a USAF Ssgt, and the other an airman currently in Baghdad, and I even have some .22s left over!

It don't spoil folks, at least if you store it right, even some of my 1980s handloads (before I used to get the cases really clean and shiny) worked just fine last spring. Also, I have an understanding wife, as long as my stuff doesn't crowd her space, I can have as much as I want (and can afford).

Another thing is I've been pretty settled for a very long time. Nearly 25 years in one house, so If you don't have to move your stash very often, you don't really realize how much you can accumulate over a quarter century or more.

There is a downside, and I cannot stress this strongly enough, ammo is heavy. If you store large amounts of ammo, you may get some wooden crates (I got 3 that used to hold GI 3.5" rockets) and they were great. Until the day I wanted some ammo from the bottom one and got careless. In the process of moving these rope handled wood boxes (essentially filled with lead), I injured my back. This put me out of work for some months, cost me a great deal of money (not to mention the pain), generally put a large hardship on my family, and put a serious crimp in my shooting and gun/ammo buying. Be careful!

It also taught me to use only GI ammo cans. I can still lift the .50 cal cans, even if full (if I am careful). So now I have a bunch of smaller cans. Makes it easier to keep segregatred as well. And it is what they're for. Nothing stores ammo better or more convienently than USGI ammo cans. It's one thing the Govt. got right!

3 gun

You can never have to much as long as you have it stored correctly. I try to never let mine get below 100 rounds of modern performance ammo in all my major calibers. 22, 22mag, 9mm Mak, 38spl, 357mag, 9mm, 40, 45, 44spl, 44mag, 762x39, 762x51, 30-06, 762x54r, 30-30 and 12/20ga slugs and shot loadings. Practice ammo thats FMJ, reloaded or surplus does not count as ammo on hand.

44 AMP

Staff
Practice ammo should count

it will, after all, do the job, just not as efficiently. And if anybody else ever counts your ammo, believe me, they will include it in the report!:eek:

Just kidding. Keeping a set minimum for "performance" ammo is a fine idea, that way you always have some of the "good stuff" on hand.