How many times do you reload your brass

How many times do you reload your AR brass (.223)

• Once

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2-4 times

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • 5-7 times

Votes: 13 12.4%
  • 7-10 times

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • 10-15 times

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I reload it until the casing itself fails (split neck, rupture, etc..)

Votes: 78 74.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jim243

That is correct. As you work the brass, it will harden to the point of the case splitting. The neck usually goes first. It is not just the resizing process but as you use the case over and over the pressure of 30,000 or 50,000 lbs of force each time also has an effect on the brass in hardening it and changing the molecular structure.

Last edited:

Crankylove

My brass gets reloaded untill it either splits the case body, or cracks the case mouth. Dents, dings, or discoloration.......dosent matter, I don't get rid of it untill it fails.

jmorris

I built an automatic annealing machine so it's generally a split in the body that sends them to brass heaven.

Dannyl

I also use them until they split

HI,
Handgun cases, until they split, and I do n ot bother counting how many times I have reloaded a particular case.
Rifle, I have cases that I have reloaded close to 30 times so far, and they are still going OK.
I do inspect them very carefully though.
(I anneal every third reload) ocassionally one splits at the neck (happens, but very seldom)and is discarded, but since I load medium loads I have not had any case develop signs of pressure damage.

Cases that have serious dings but can still be chambered are relegated to "dummy" duty.

Cheers,
Danny

Dave R

I've been reloading 8 years and had 1 case separation in that time. Just recently. No damage to the rifle. All other discarded brass has been due to split necks.

Although I've got some .223 with primer pockets that are getting a little loose...

But my answer is I shoot 'em until they fail.

Steviewonder1

Times to reload Brass?

Usually 7-10 times, or until it crumples or splits. Then it goes to the circular file. No need to reload marginal brass, that is what will give you a real suprise. Always do the QC check by doing a complete check of the reloaded brass by using a Chamber check guage and a close inspection with your reading glasses on..

TheNatureBoy

Depends on the rifle. All cases his the scrap pile if they are split, dented, etc. Never had to toss a .243 or a .280 case. I trim cases for my 7mm rem mag but occasionally have to toss a few of them. I'd say 4 times is about the max before I have to trim one.

Dannyl

Lavid2002, case head separation you can usually anticipate

Hi,
in most instances (providing your firearm does not have inherent head-space problems and you are not exceeding recommended pressures) you can see signs of inherent case separation when inspecting your cases.

I have once such case that I was given by a friend, to use as a sample (back when I started reloading for my rifle).
So far, I have not had case head separation in any of my firearms, nor did I find any such signs in any of my cases.

In general, I check handgun cases by giving them a cursory look, rifle cases I inspect very thoroughly.Visually and by using a kind of scraper to feel inside the case for ridges or cracks.

Regards,
Danny

Linear Thinker

I reload the AR brass until it's no longer reloadable, due to rim wear usually. ARs are not gentle on the brass, not as bad as HKs though.
223 brass is free for the picking at most public ranges, and at any DCM/CMP match.
I carefully sort the picked-up brass, and discard those that fail the visual inspection.
I sort them by make, as the thickness and the resultant volume vary quite a bit between the military/civilian brass.
LT

Lavid2002

Excellent. I bought 1,000 peices of once fired .223 brass and it looks like it will last me quite some time : )