How Many Times Can You Chamber a Round

FLA2760

Hi Everyone
I wipe my Glock27 down every night with a silicone "gun cloth". I first remove the magazine and clear the chamber. The first round in the magazine and the one in the chamber are being rotated every other day as a result of this. Will this adversly effect these rounds and result in a failure? I have Mag Tech Gold 180 gr. hollow points in the gun. Thank You for your reply.
Steve :confused:

Flashpoint

I'm no bullet expert, but I do know that you need to pay close attention to bullet set back. If you don't you run the risk of your G27 being another Kaboom statistic.

Last edited:

wyrdone

There is no hard and fast rule. What you have to wach for is bullet setback as the previous poster mentioned.

Some rounds set back more than others.

Some of my Makarov rounds have an anti-setback dimple in each of the cases (Brown Bear bimetal 115gr JHP) that prevents the bullet seating any father back than the dimple. This is done at the factory.

Dfariswheel

I recommend keeping a UNUSED, un-chambered factory round handy to use as a "gage" to check for set back.

Doing what you are doing as daily routine is what caused some early problems when the police began the transition to the auto pistol.

In the early days of the transition, the police where having "second round stoppages". They'd fire their first round, and the second would fail to feed.

This was traced to the daily inspection method you're using, in which the SAME two rounds were constantly being chambered.
The daily slamming of the bullet into the feed ramp was pushing the bullets back into the case, and this caused the feed problem.

Modern defense ammo is manufactured to withstand at least SOME repeat chambering before repetition begins to push the bullet back to unsafe depths, but your best course of action is to rotate the ammo, so the same two aren't used constantly.

Shoot up the ammo on a regular schedule and replace with factory-fresh, and use the untouched factory round as a check gage.

DPris

Member Emeritus
I've heard a maximum of twice for best results, I certainly wouldn't do it more than three or four times as a general rule.
May I also respectfully point out that, at best, you're only wasting time in what you're doing, if you really do that every night. The Glock certainly doesn't need it, and you do run the risk of creating functional problems. Not being critical, just mentioning that it's totally unnecessary and can be very counterproductive. It's definitely a bad idea rotating the same two rounds, some loads & brands will take it longer than others, but sooner or later it'll bite you. You're looking at far worse than just feeding problems, bullet setback can increase pressures to the point of catastrophic case failure. That's major damage to the gun & possibly your hand.
I'm curious about why you'd feel the need?
Denis

Avizpls

Or you can wipe down the slide and what not with a good "finger-off-the-trigger" grip, and not eject the round in the chamber :eek:

Slip Shooter

I don't see that it is necessary to wipe down your Glock every night, unless you are carrying in hot weather. If you do need to wipe it down, do as Avizpls mentioned above. If you feel it necessary to remove the magazine and inspect the chamber often, you might want to consider a different approach to chambering the same round repeatedly. Try removing the magazine and locking the slide back, then manually drop a live round in the empty chamber. Release the slide while holding it until its about half way closed, then let it close on the cartridge of its own force. Insert loaded magazine. This will prevent bullet setback and you can pretty much use the same round over and over.

One note of caution. The above method may or may not be hard on the extractor as it rides over the head of the case each time it slams home. Personally I have never had a problem doing this. The head of the case will become marred in time. Just cycle it at the range.

It's very good to become familiar with your firearm. Just don't "play" with it while handling live ammo. Do that at the range where it's safer, and always keep it pointed in a safe direction. Keep it secure when loaded at home and while carrying.

Surface cleaning or lubing probably is not necessary every day.

Bee careful!!

Jack Malloy

Doesnt matter if you are carrying in hot weather, you glock has a tennifer finish that wont rust, unless you grind it off with a sander.

I once swished my Glock 17 around in a toilet bowl and dropped it in a barrel of water to prove it wouldn't rust to another guy when I worked industrial security.

DPris

Member Emeritus
Glocks have a black phosphate finish over the Tennifer. The phosphate wears, but there's still no need whatever to be rubbing it down nightly unless it's directly exposed to some sort of acid every day. If you're doing it because the steel slide contacts sweat, you can buy a holster that completely shields the steel from contact with sweat.
And, single loading the chamber is hard on the extractor. They do break occasionally. Best to just not be loading & unloading the Glock every night, in any way.
Denis

Rich636

I noticed that the .32acp I chambered in my KelTec P-32 began to pull after chambering it about 10 times or so.

ClarkEMyers

Don't know the number but I know it exists.

Don't know the number but I know it exists. I might be willing to do it more in a revolver?

I'd do something to vary things - a barney bullet in its own magazine maybe chambered once then removed and stored to eventually be buried in the carry magazine or fired at a range - never again to be a barney bullet would be my way to go.

I have not heard of specific problems with this Glock but of course there have been some with some pistols. Dean Speir has described Glock problems more generally.

I have heard of real issues with barney bullets in service rifles and their floating firing pin - nothing like hitting the primer repeatedly to ensure odd ball results.

Jack Malloy

There really is no reason to wipe down a Glock every day because of that Tennifer finish.
Really, if that blue toilet bowl cleaner stuff won't rust it, nothing will.
I am not big on the mall ninja torture test stuff, but honestly, Glocks stand up to salt water spray even better than stainless steels because of the finish treatment of Tennifer.

FLA2760

Re Chambering round

Hi
I want to thank everyone for their good advice. I will not be doing this anymore. I have replaced the top two rounds. Thanks again.
Steve

mr00jimbo

Can someone explain to a newbie how it is hard to use the same bullets for this as apposed to fresh ones? What about snap caps? Is it still hazardous?

r.w. schrack

Missed something here?????????

My home defense I rotate the mag every 30 days or so, jack the one out of the chamber, load up the new mag jack one in, drop the mag and replace the one I just jacked in, have not had a single problem. I clean and lube her every now and then and keep it in a closed cloth holster which prevents moisture. Schrack

DPris

Member Emeritus
Don't quite understand what you're asking.
What about snap caps? Is what still hazardous?
Denis

mr00jimbo

Sorry, I meant to ask why using the same round is more hazardous/puts more wear than using another one? And about the snap caps wondering if reusing them like that and cycling them through has a negative effect too or do they not make a diff?

wingman

set back is dangerous especially so on the 40 cal.,( increases pressure), set back happens when the bullet is "pushed" back in case as it slides up the ramp into chamber. It is a problem on most automatics and some ammo depending on how tight the crimp is. I do not rechamber the same round over and over.

Jack Malloy

When you chamber a round its not so bad.
But when you eject rounds over and over again the case rims get chewed up from the extractor claw and dinged a bit from the ejector.
In all honesty, I do have old ammo that has been cycled through slides over and over a gain for years and nothing has ever happened.
I think what most people were commenting on here was that there is no need to wipe down the slide of a Glock to avoid rust, becuase it is more rust resistant than stainless steel.
Since you dont have to worry about the slide rusting, there is no reason to cycle a round every day just to wipe the slide down.