how many rounds have you shot through your firearms?

cajun47

my 10/22 does not work anymore after 15,000 rounds through it. so how many rounds was your firearms good for before repairs where needed? all firearms. handguns, shotguns, rifles.

i would say i shot 3,000 rounds through my ak47(romainian), 1,000 through my glock 19, under 1,000 through my mossberg 500.

KySilverado

Only firearm I've shot till breakage was my first. A Taurus PT92. It broke the locking lug on the barrel after about 60K rounds. Sent it back and they replaced the barrel. It was still going strong at about 30K more rounds when I sold it.

B. Lahey

The custom Colt A4gery (AR15) I had Wild West Guns build for me only has about 8,500 rounds through it at this point. I've replaced the action spring just because it seems like I should from time to time. Should probably pick up an extractor for the inevitable...

My kalashnikovs... who knows? A lot. Many times more rounds than I've fired through my current AR, but they have yet to break (knock on wood).

I don't shoot the same volume of ammunition through my handguns on average, but I shot my Hi-Power until the extractor went. Something like 10,000 rounds, but the garbage ammo I was shooting when it broke may have been responsible.

The barrel link on my cheapy Brazillian Springfield 1911A1 broke at something in the neighborhood of 7,000 rounds. That was an ugly malfunction, it locked the gun up completely. The worst part was you could retract the slide just enough to see brass in the chamber, and I was unsure if it was a live round or spent brass in there. The gunsmith just loved that.:eek:

That's all I can type at the moment, maybe I'll think of some more later.

Last edited:

RaySendero

Only firearm I've ever shot-out was a Ruger security-six. The forcing cone eroded!

My 10/22 has at least 20,000 rounds through it with no problem.

I'd have to look at my log book to be sure; but I think my first major parts replacement on my Hi-Power was around 14,000 rounds. I've replaced several more since then on it; but it has been pretty steady (no additional parts replacement) from 21,000-29,000 rounds.

On my AR15, the first major parts replacement that was actually necessary and not done just because I like gadgets was probably the barrel at 9,900 rounds - although you could debate whether that was necessary since it was still producing acceptable accuracy at less than 300yds.

sixgun67

So far, only parts I've replaced were for guns that were given to me, by people that abused them.
Broken trigger guard and hammer spring on an H&R shotgun, 25 or so years ago
Firing pin on a .22 revolver--some idiot dryfired the daylights out of it--cylinder not hurt, obviously harder metal than firing pin
Ejector on a small .22 auto--poor quality metal started deforming and causing the casing to stovepipe. Replaced springs while I was at it.
Can't remember any others right off hand.
Unfortunately I don't shoot as often or in the high quantities as I'd like to.
sixgun

mikejonestkd

I have several .22 pistols that have in excess of 30K though them by me. A few of them were already well used when I got them, so the round count could be much higher. I have yet to repair or replace anything on any of my HS, smiths, colts, or brownings.

Rifleman1776

I have never had a firearm fail due to use.
Except Marlin lever gun. Failed first time and never worked despite a half dozen factory 'repairs'.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I've never had a mechanical failure in my firearms. Of course, I don't shoot anything remotely close to the number of rounds some of you guys do. I've got roughly 650 rounds through my Glock and the only gun with more would be my 10/22, which has (very roughly) maybe 2500 rounds through it. No problems at all. The 10/22 is the only gun I don't clean (on the inside) and it has always been flawless. The Glock is cleaned thoroughly whenever it's fired and it basically looks brand new, except for holster wear.

MTT TL

my 10/22 does not work anymore after 15,000 rounds through it.

You have broken what can not be broken!

Seriously we have six of them and have run around 150,000 through the combined lot of them. They all still click right along.

deadcoyote

The only rifle I shoot alot is a Remington 521 junior target master. I've put thousands through it and it was well used when I got it. I've put 3-5k through three different Glocks. I'm a sissy so I always sell my glocks when they hit about 5k and buy a new one. It only costs me about $100 difference, and it gives me peace of mind. Plus, the glocks all go to family and friends who want to get into shooting but never have, so i'm also slowly converting everyone i know at the same time.

HawkeyeNRAlifer

I'm a little amazed at the ability to keep track of the number of rounds fired in a particular gun. Although I could check my reloading log to see the number of rounds reloaded for a given caliber, I would have no idea how many thousands of store bought rounds I've sent downrange. And I own multiple firearms in most of the popular calibers which makes keeping track of quantity even harder. It would be interesting to know, especially if I had a failure with one of the guns. So far, no major breakages have occurred. Knock on wood!

ritepath

Other than my SD pistols I have zero idea how many rounds I have in any of my firearms. I've had two 10/22's I've put bricks and bricks and bricks down without any failures. I have a 16ga Model 12 that has been my constant companion since I was 13, zero problems I'm now 40.

thesheepdog

Benelli Nova 12g-3,000-4,000 rounds
Mini-14-2,000 rounds +
Ruger 10/22-6,000 rounds
DDM4-300 rounds first barrel, then about 1,000 on the new one
RWS Air Rifle-10,000 rounds

spacecoast

The barrel link on my cheapy Brazillian Springfield 1911A1 broke at something in the neighborhood of 7,000 rounds. That was an ugly malfunction, it locked the gun up completely. The worst part was you could retract the slide just enough to see brass in the chamber, and I was unsure if it was a live round or spent brass in there. The gunsmith just loved that.

Could that have been determined with a cleaning rod?