How many own or have shot a .475 Linebaugh?

Glamdring

Just curious what people think of the gun/cartridge. I plan to get one eventually. Probably before I get a 50 BMG rifle.

Steve Smith

While I have not shot a .475 Linebaugh, I have shot a .500 Linebaugh. I'm sure the recoil signature is greatly different, but still in the same realm...kinda. The .500 was a lot of fun if you like that sorta thing (evil grin). BTW, a close look at the "big" .45 Colt converison should be considered. John himself says, "We can't expect to 'shock' game with a handgun, like we can with a rifle...the sixgun is a long range punch press. After there's a hole all the way through, we can't do any more damage." After seeing pics of game killed with his hot .45 Colt loads and guns, I decided that if I get one, that's the one it'll be. That way, I can load it super light or very heavy...the .475 Linebaugh may not work as well at lighter load levels, and the bullets will all cost the same. Light .45 bullets are much cheaper than super hard cast .45 or even .475 lead. JMHO.

Henry Bowman

.475s and Bigger Bores-

Greetings all, the Linebaughs all generate 65lbsofree recoil or more with full power loadings. In these days of tendonitis from excess keyboard work I'd recommend some serious thought before firing one. I cast my own bullets for the big bores and roll my own ammo. Brass runs about a buck each and a pound of H-110 doesn't last long dropping 35 gns a pop. They're highy specialized guns and very accurate, checkout http://www.sixgunner articles for in depth information..henry

Jim March

Errr...I have a comment on that whole concept of "add more power and it just blows the hole through faster". That's true of hardcast, but not if you're flinging something that can expand, either flatpoint soft lead or a JHP.

That said, the .454Casull seems a more sane all-around approach. The better examples haven't been physically destroying people's wrists the way the Linebaughs have a proven track-record in. They can also take hot or mild .45LC just fine if it turns out the .454 is too much for the task, or if you want mild practice fodder.

-----------

Question: what would be the result of carving a hard, tough "plastic" slug (high-impact nylon or similar) of around 60 to 80 grains, a wadcutter shape, and fling it from a .454Casull at what...3,000fps? Faster?

:D

For limited-range problems, what kind of crazy levels of antipersonnel damage could one of these deliver?

Jim

Henry Bowman

.475 Linebaughs

Yes Glandring I own two, ones a FA and the other is a P&R conversion on a Ruger SBH. Both guns are equally accurate and difficult to shoot well. Since the FAs have been out the reloading dies from RCBS have became a standard die instead of a custom shop special order and have fallen from around $100.00 to $30.00. Loaded ammo is available from several sources now including Hornady and Buffalo Bore. Did I foget anything else?? henry

Glamdring

Thanks to all for your responses!

I know the 475 has a lot of recoil with full power loads.

Does anyone realize that the "reduced" recoil load for the 475 about equals the 577 bland revolver cartridge for ballistics?

I really don't like the 454 concept. IMHO the 475 is a completely different category of gun. But with slightly reduced loads it can be used for anything a 454 would be. But at full power you have over 60 grains more bullet. The 454 can be driven a bit faster than a 475 but for big tough targets a slower heavier bullet will be less likely to fail due to self inflicted destruction [ie the faster a bullet is driven the tougher it needs to be to stay together.

I doubt I will ever hunt anything that I would need a 475 for more than once or twice. But the same thing is true of true heavy rifle IMO. Not many 416's, 458's, 470's, 577's, or 600's are ever shot enough to wear out a barrel, though some are probably shot enough to wear out the owner's shoulder :D

Has anyone shot the Bisley grip version of a 475 or 5 shot 45LC? I have noted that a few gun writers have claimed that the ruger-bisley grip is far better for recoil management than other grips.

BTW I figure my 44 mag is plenty most of the time. I think of the 6 shot 44's & 45's as short of a handgun "medium rifle", while the 5 shot 44's & 45's are right on the line between medium and heavy, and the 475 & 500 are true heavies.

Steve Smith

There has been more than a few bullet makers decide not to make bullets for the .454 Casull becuase the bullets MUST be very hard to withstand the high pressure and also to stay together upon impact. That is why you'll see that all factory .454 stuff is copper jacketed (unless it's Buffalo Bore with super hard cast bullets). Glamdring, have you considered one of his .45 Colts? Sure, we all wish for a .475 or the .500, but reloading isn't as practical as with the .45 Colt...and a 370 gr bullet at 1400 fps is nothing to sneeze at. (Granted, the .475 Linebaugh gets you a 420 gr. at 1400 fps, but to me, the 50 gr. drop in bullet weight does not mean that I'm less well-armed.) Speaking of reloading, it is commonly known that "they" aren't going to just take your guns...it'll be much easier to just dry up the supply of ammo. That's when the reloaders of the worl will shine (and probably become public enemy #1). Might as well have something with easier to come-by components (.45 Colt vs. .475 Linebaugh).

Henry Bowman

454 Casull vs .475 Linebaugh?

Greetings again Glamdring, the only difference I see between the 454 Casull and the .475 Linebaugh is the added velocity of the 454 Casull gives flatter zero. Bore size arguements aside all the calibers (454 Casull-.475 Linebaugh-.500 Linebaugh) can run a 420gn cast bullet at 1500fps. I've got the moulds and have done it. Your right about the lighter loads being both accurate and easier on the shooter, the Ruger Bisley does seem to give more shooters a higher comfort? level than the old Ruger XR-3 design. .50 BMGs are a whole different subject, my Armalite was a royal pain to get up and running..henry

Glamdring

Well I have looked at the 45 LC and found it not exactly wanting but too close to the 44 mag. For factory ammo you have a lot more options in 44 than you do in 45. I thought long and hard before I decided to get a 4" 629 [pre sell out]. For what I wanted a 44 does a better job than a 45 but that is more a factor of what is availible from factories for loaded ammo and components.

As for the 475 I would be using LBT bullet's and handloads almost always so I don't see were there would be any difference in loading, other than using more lead and powder per round. And I have a hard time imagining shooting more than 100 or so rounds a year in the 475. But I figure if I shoot a 100 rounds thru my heavy handgun and heavy rifle a year I would be getting a lot of practice with those types [ie power level] guns compared to most people wouldn't I?

Henry Bowman

.45 Colt vs .44 Rem.Mag.???

Greetings Glam, the .45 Colt in a five shooter equals the 454 Casull. That said the .44 mag is still my favorite but it's hard to define as a true big bore compared to the 454 Casull and the standard Linebaughs much less the longs. After a few cylinders of .500 Linebaughs the .44 mag is downright comfy. I'm wondering why anyone would spend money on a Smyth when a Ruger Redhawk is significantly stronger and normally more accurate? I too fell for the Hollywood Dirty Harry crap too but got over it when comparing the 1959 models side by side a few years back. A forty year old Ruger Flattop can compete easily with the best grade Smythe available...hmmmm? The most common answer i get when asking why someone bought a Smyth over a Ruger is that the Smythe is more comfortable (smaller) yet the "tool" breaks with a regular diet of real .44 mag ammo???? Could it possibly be that the N frame isn't the perfect platform for the King og The Magnums? henry

Glamdring

In an earlier post I said "I think of the 6 shot 44's & 45's as sort of a handgun
"medium rifle", while the 5 shot 44's & 45's are right on the line between medium and heavy, and the 475 & 500 are
true heavies."

I selected the 4" 629 to follow in the steps of Elmer Keith. The 4" gun is harder to shoot than a longer/heavier gun would be and the short sight radius requires greater effort on the shooter's part to shoot up to the gun.

I am working on 50 yard shooting and hope to be shooting the little 4" gun out to 100 yards by this summer and eventually to get past 200 yards [with the iron sighted 4" gun and 300 grain bullets]. This is from field postions not off of a bench.

I know a scoped ruger would make this easier, so would a shoulder stock for that matter ;)

Steve Smith

I've wondered the same thing as Henry about Smith vs. Ruger revos. Concerning .45 Colt vs. 44 Mag. as a reloader, I belive you're kidding yourself if you think the .44 Mag can hold a candle to the .45 Colt. sure the off the shelf .45 Colts are competitive with the .44 Mag, but as Henry brought up, if you have a 5 shot cylinder, you can duplicate almost Casull loads with the .45 Colt. What's even better is that the .45 Colt will do everything the .44 Mag will do, but with less pressure and a shorter barrel...which means that if you raise the pressure on the .45 Colt some, you're beating the .44 Mag. The original topic was on the .475 Linebaugh...the .44 Mag doesn't even fit into this thread.

Glamdring

I am not sure I follow the line of thought about 44 mag not more or less equaling a 45 LC? To me it is about the same difference as a 280 vs a 30-06 [ie more in theory than in practice]. But if your right then wouldn't the 475 be much superior to a 45LC? If your comparing 6 shot guns to 6 shot guns and 5 shot to 5 shot [you can get 5 shot 44's if so desired].

As to why I picked a 629 vs a Ruger [either Redhawk or Bisley Balckhawk] is because I wanted a small comfortable to carry belt gun in a powerfull cartridge [it also needed to be DA for speed of reloading]. My 44 is for both hunting and defense, when loaded with hot 44 special loads it is at least the equal of the 45 acp for two legged varmints, yet with 300 grain LBT at magnum speeds it will handle anything in the lower 48 with ease. And since it is a DA you can use speedloaders for it when dealing with two legged critters.

Another factor for my pick of the 44 over 45LC is that the 45LC is really designed for SA revolvers that use an ejector rod, the rim is a bit smaller than 44's rim, and so it is easier [at least in theory] for ejector on a DA revolver to slip over the rim of one of the cartridges?