How many of you shot your Thanksgiving dinner?

Shoot your Thanksgiving dinner?

• Yup... all the meat was hunted and shot by me.

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Nope... mine came from the grocery store.

Votes: 18 72.0%
  • I ordered take-out Chinese.

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters

grymster2007

Mine dinner was purchased from Costco and Safeway, but I'm thinkin' a good percentage of the big-time hunters here on this board actually hunted their dinner.

Daryl

None of the above.

I raised some turkeys, and butchered one on Wednesday for Thanksgiving dinner. Good eating, too.

Daryl

Wildalaska

My mom used to make turkeys that were so tough and stringy that I thought she beat them to death and left them in the basement for a week or so after that

WildleathefaceAlaska TM

grymster2007

I'm a little slow Brent, but did you go to a "Diner" for Thanksgiving?

I woulda thought you of all people, shot his dinner 'bout four days a week. :)

grymster2007

turkeys that were so tough and stringy

This year when my wife complained that my son's mashed potatoes were dry, he just said that her turkey had sucked all the moisture out of them.... from all the way across her plate:)

bswiv

It was a mixed bag.............the turkey came from Publix but we also had a cured and smoked ham off a hog Louann ( Wife ) shot. A chef friend, who is a wizzard at cured/smoked meats, did it up for us.

He also made a batch of Chizoro and Kilbasa sausages along with one BIG salami from the trimmings from that hog and two others we shot.

In addition to the sausages and ham he took some of the bigger trimmings and cured and smoked them for seasoning greens, beans and the like.

In fact the Thanksgiving green beans had some of that in them too............

shortwave

HeHeHe,Wildalaska and Grym, thats some good stuff. Our turkey was storebought but I did make my venison roll especially for my anti-hunter inlaws. Hope they never figure out what they`re eating, they think(I tell them) its veal. Thought I was going to have to throw a bucket of water on mother-in-laws jaws to cool them off:D.

Swampghost

I really tried to score a 20# turkey but they weren't playing that game, the supermarket had to fill in for my failure. I often have the same problem fishing.:eek:

banditt007

i was planning on making venison for thanksgiving, forget turkey i'm not a fan, its okay, but thats about it for me. anyway, majority ruled and it was the same boring turkey.

Taking into account i've hunted the past 3 years, never got a deer, and this was my first one i ever bagged. i also did all the work. gutted, drove it 2 hours home, skinned, butchered, froze. u name it i did it, all for the first time. w/o much if any pervious hunting expereince for other wild game. you'd think deer... that the pilgrims more than likely ate over turkey, would have made in onto the dinner table. guess not. sorry just venting :eek:

that venison probably cost somewhere in the neighbor hood of $50 a pound. taking into account gas and travel time, 2 hours one way to a hunting area, i've visited 20 times+ w/o taking the game. a $600 rifle, hundreds of rounds for practice, the gas/time/entry fee of the range that is an hour away, ect ect. you guys know how it is.

wpcexpert

We had so many folks over for dinner, my measly wild turkey breasts wouldn't have done it. So the wife did a 10lb turkey and I put my breasts on the grill. Along with some squirrel gravy for the buiscuts and duck breasts from opening day. What can I say, I'm a breast guy.

zahnzieh

Yup, Had a venison roast in addition to the turkey. And yes, I do it to frost some anti-hunters at table. I'm afraid I married a city-girl, wont touch any meat that hasnt first been wrapped in plastic! Doesnt matter, just means more for the people in the know. Finest holiday dish there is!:D

Mavrik

A completely non store bought Thanksgiving dinner has always been a goal of mine. I don't think that I'll ever be able to more than about the 70% that I managed a couple of years ago. I can't grow some things like the Cranberries for cranberry sauce that will always be included.

Anyway below was our Thanksgiving turkey for that year. Unfortunately I haven't had a successful fall turkey season since.

Mav