How many of you carry older (2nd or 1st generation) Glocks?

j-framer

A rather idle question, but something I've wondered from time to time:

How many of you TFLers carry an older Glock regularly?

On this and other boards, it seems like it's mostly 3rd generation models that show up when people post photos of their carry rigs. This, coupled with the smattering of rumors about the earlier, 2nd generations being more prone to kabooms, notably the .40s (I've seen no evidence of this with jacketed factory ammo and won't believe it until I do), has given me the impression that the 2nd generation models are somewhat undesired as carry pieces by many, even when good deals are to be had on the multitude of well-maintained 2nd gen. 17s, 19s, 22s and 23s out there.

Of course, one has to take into account the amount of time that each generation has been around; after all, the 3rd gen. has been going strong since 97/98, so that's already about 10 years to compare to the gen. 2's 12 years or so.

Another important issue is the introduction of new models that just weren't being produced in the gen. 2 years. Even the enormously popular G26 and G27 were only made for a couple of the gen. 2 years.

So I guess I'm primarily talking about those models that were produced in large numbers in 2nd generation form, namely the 17, 19, 20, 21, 22, and 23.

For those of you who carry these, do you carry gen. 2 or 3?

If the answer is gen. 3, would you have any reservations about switching to a good condition generation 2, particularly if your gun of choice is the 22 or 23 in the "kaboom-prone" .40 caliber?

HighValleyRanch

oldest glock I've ever worked on!

My buddy is the firing arms instructor for the county sheriffs dept. He's also a trained glock armorer (they all carry glocks) and my CCW instructor.
Recently while showing me how to do a total takedown for cleaning, he remarked that mine was the oldest glock he ever had to work on.
That to me was sorta a compliment, seeing that he has worked on many, many glocks.

I purchased mine in 1989, and it's take quite a while to reach that nice faded jeans patina it has now. The original tenefer is almost all worn off, it's now cut down to what I like, Refinish the slide? I wouldn't think of it!
The last time I had a jam in this was two years ago in a training class where the ammo ended up with a squibb load stuck in the barrel.
It's ole reliable and is now sitting in a pocket holster I made today in my front pocket.
Totally stock except for extended mag release, ghost ring night sights, and the chop job.
glock1926.JPG

pistolet1

On occasion, I still take my 1st Gen. Model 17 out; never really thought that much about the changes to the grip configuration, i.e. checkering and finger grooves. The original suits me just fine.
DSC02773.jpg
v[/IMG]

bub75

I carry a Gen 2 Glock 21 40+ hours a week and love it. It's an fairly early example, serial number AEV***US. IIRC, I bought it brand new in 1992 or 1993, I might be off a year or two, I can't remember for sure. This weapon has >30,000 rds through it, mostly my reloads, and has never had a malf other than some of my reloads that I didn't size properly. I even had an idiot firearms instructor drop an empty into the chamber (twice; he was a slow learner)and run the slide home to simulate a malf and it chipped the lower 2/3 off the extractor and it still ran like a champ.

Myself, I prefer the Gen 2 weapons. The molded-in finger grooves on the Gen 3 weapons aren't spaced right for my fingers and don't feel good to me, but a Gen 2 with a Hogue Handall is perfection. After the first of the year, when we have more $$$, I'll be actively looking for a good, used Gen 2 G19. Good examples for decent money are hard to find around here.

Bub

ETA a crappy pic- I'm NOT a photographer!
g21-2.jpg

All stock except the Handall.

kahrglock

I have a 2nd gen G23 police trade-in. I bought it used at a gun show. I actually like the feel better than my other 3 3rd gen glocks. This gun is well used and I shoot and carry it often. I am confident with it's reliability and not at all worried about kb's. I am going to replace the NY trigger spring that was in it when I bought it sometime.

jaysouth

2d Gen Glocks I own, fondle and carry

2 Model 19s
1 Model 17

Had a 3d gen M-17L. I hated the fingergrooves.

If I wear out any of my 2d Gen Glocks, I will buy 3d gen and grind down with a grinder or something.

BillCA

Okay... someone help me out since I'm not a Glockophile.

How do you tell the difference between 1st & 2nd Gen Glocks? Specifically a G17?

HighValleyRanch

Look at pistolet1's glock and you can see that the grip area is smoother stippling that wraps around the whole grip. Much smoother than the later generations.
Look at the other two glocks and you can see that the stippling is on the flats of the grips, and the frontstrap and backstraps have checkering, but no finger grooves.

third generation have finger grooves.

That's the way I understand it.

BillCA

I'm guessing my G17 is a 1st Generation.

S/N is HHxxx

Fairly smooth stipiling on the grip but it doesn't reach around to the checkering at the front or rear. And it lacks any kind of finger-grip of course.

j-framer

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

HighValleyRanch posted:

Totally stock except for extended mag release, ghost ring night sights, and the chop job.

I'm impressed with your handiwork. I like it when people are confident enough to perform their own modifications when needed. A G19 "Covert", a la Kahr (discontinued) "Covert" series. It's a great idea, really - shorten the grip for concealability while preserving the stability (for belt carry, mostly) and velocity advantage of the longer slide/barrel.

pistolet1:

On occasion, I still take my 1st Gen. Model 17 out;...The original suits me just fine.

Ah, the 1st generation! Produced for fewer than 3 years, according to the "Glock Serial Number Research Project" on GlockTalk.com (link posted by roman3 above). Just as an aside, I wonder if that makes them worth more. They have to be at least somewhat scarce, given the short period of manufacture.

bub75:

Myself, I prefer the Gen 2 weapons.

kahrglock:

I actually like the feel better than my other 3 3rd gen glocks.

jaysouth:

I hated the fingergrooves.

roman3:

Don't need a rail on a gun the size of the G19 and as for the finger grooves

I, also, loathe the fingergrooves, with the exception of those on the subcompacts, where they do assist purchase on the gun's short grip. But on the full-size and compact models, they serve absolutely no purpose in my opinion. The ample checkering of the 2nd generation's frontstrap, coupled with a grip sufficiently tall to allow one's whole hand on board, is plenty.

And, to be frank, the finger grooves on the 3rd generation compacts like the G19 and G23 actually do fit my fingers perfectly. Yet I still can't stand them, the reason being that I dislike anything that obstructs my access to the grip.

I'm not expressing my point very clearly, I know, but what I mean is that when taking a grip on the gun I don't want my fingers to have to "find" the grooves and settle into them, however quickly this may happen. I want a clear playing field, so to speak, when my fingers wrap around the grip. For me, the grooves serve no useful purpose as "locators" of any kind; the bottom of the trigger guard plays that role, and my fingers simply stack below one another going downwards after the middle finger has made contact with that reference point.

pogo2

Own two second generation Glocks...

I own two Glocks, a G19 and a G23. They are both second generation, both have hard chrome slides, and I have carried both in the past. I shoot them frequently and they have many rounds through each one. I don't really see any advantage in the third generation guns, unless you like finger grooves.

Glock2305.jpg

Erik

There's nothing wrong with Gen 2 Glocks. I prefer the lack of finger grooves and if you don't plan on running a light, most don't, you give nothing up.

DPris

Member Emeritus
Still have my 1988-issue 17, although it doesn't get used much these days. I prefer the no-groove frame & would probably think long & hard about carrying it as opposed to a brand new one if I went back to a Glock for regular use. Mine has the First Gen internal parts "upgrade" & fading Trijicons installed by the PD armourer, otherwise stock.
Only failure it's ever had was a magazine oops that jammed the spring low & didn't feed.
Denis

snail

My carry weapon for work and play is a 2nd generation G-22. The serial number puts it's birthday in early 1996. I really prefer the 2nd gen frames without the finger grooves. To me I think it makes the gun fit much better in my hand. I bought it used so I don't know its history, but it is in excellant shape.

Diesel1

1st gen.

I carry my Glock 22 daily, it's a law enforcement turn in, first generation.
At least 10,000 rounds from me send downrange and not a hiccup.