How many malfunctions is "reliable"? .22lr Bulk Packs

GunXpatriot

When I first got my Marlin 795, I bought Winchester bulk. I was getting a double feed around every magazine. It was very frustrating. Later, I tried Federal Bulk. I shot around 100 rounds and had a double feed. Then about 80 after the next.

Would the Federal bulk be considered "reliable" ammo for my rifle? I'm only talking bulk packs here, no CCI or other premium ammo.

Pathfinder45

Magazine problem?

If that's a clip fed I would try bending the, "feed-lips", in ever so slightly. The Winchester and Federal ammo has been some of the best in my Marlin 99M1. But it's tube fed.

BigMikey76

I also fire a 795. I have put about 500 rounds of Remmington golden through it with only 3 problem rounds - all failure to eject - and another 200 or so of federal bulk with no problems at all. I clean it every 100 rounds, or so, and I think that has a lot to do with the better performance from ammo that everyone else says is problematic crap.

derekb

Feed problems are most often related to the gun, or magazine. Ammunition related problems are failures to fire, hangfires, that sort of thing.

FrankenMauser

When I first got my Marlin 795, I bought Winchester bulk. I was getting a double feed around every magazine. It was very frustrating. Later, I tried Federal Bulk. I shot around 100 rounds and had a double feed. Then about 80 after the next.

Would the Federal bulk be considered "reliable" ammo for my rifle? I'm only talking bulk packs here, no CCI or other premium ammo.
Double-feed issues are not the fault of the ammunition. It's a firearm or magazine issue.

In my experience, Winchester bulk packs are of "fair" quality. Federal bulk packs are of slightly lower quality. Remington bulk packs are an insult to the buyer - absolute crap.

If that's a clip fed I would try bending the, "feed-lips", in ever so slightly.
Marlin doesn't make any firearms that are clip fed. The 795 uses a detachable magazine.
Clips are used to load ammunition into magazines, or fit inside magazines.
Clips do not feed ammunition into the chamber of a firearm, but magazines do.

mrawesome22

I'd also say it's the gun.

I've found the Winchester in the red 555 box pretty decent... for bulk anyway.

As said, don't ever waste your money on Remington bulk.

And give that rifle time to break in. When I first got my 10/22 it was a jam-o-matic. A few thousand rounds later, it rarely has a problem.

Well, no more jamming problems. The quarter ton trigger problem is still there.

ndking1126

Remington bulk packs are an insult to the buyer - absolute crap.

Hahaha, that was a good laugh. I agree, complete waist of money.

My .22 is purely for fun, so if it jams once every 80 rounds I'm ok with that. However, it's a Marlin 60 and I expect to go the whole day without any issues. As long as I'm shooting it dry and there is no sand/grit/crud in the action its good. Wipe it out with a cloth after about every 4-5 range trips and it does great.

Bittervinom

I would have to say the Winchester and CCI rounds have worked great for my 22's. I hate Remington's anything in 22's/ they are the worst crappiest POS i have ever purchased...

Bigfatts

The only bulk ammo I buy is the Federal Auto Match. The rest I have tried, absolutely hated the Remington. The regular Federal had too many duds but shot ok. The Winchester I don't recall, it's been a while. But the Auto Match shoots so well I just stick with it.

RevGeo

I shoot an old single-shot bolt action Western Field .22 and always buy bulk packs of Remington, Winchester and Federal. I have yet to have a misfire..'yet' being the qualifier, I suppose.

George

GunXpatriot

You'd think that double feeding would be the magazine or simply the gun, right? Wrong. On the same range day, I used both Federal and Winchester. Same results as shown in my post.

As for quality, federal seems to have the best quality of the bulk packs. Shinier brass, more well shaped bullets, not like Winchester with dinged, scratched up brass and bullets that looks like someone intentionally damaged them at the factory.

MrDontPlay

I've actually had good luck with thunderbolts, golden bullets were a joke. I've heard that CCI blazers are pretty similar to minimags.

timelinex

Try federal automatch bulk boxes. They are more expensive then the real cheap bulk packs, but a lot cheaper than cci and other 50pack ammo. I never have any malfunctions on it. I've went through atleast 6 or 7 boxes of it and remember only having 1 or 2 duds.

As others have said, alot of times other malfunctions have to do with rifle/ammo combination and not the ammo itself. FWIW, I had alot of malfunctions with my marlin 795 and found the problem was over oiling. Now I fully clean it with hoppe's #9 and dont put ANY oil on it at all. Hoppe's has some natural lubricity it leaves behind and thats eough for it to run perfectly.

Last edited:

Pathfinder45

Yeah...

..and I also know it's not Long Colt either. Yet the wide spread use of misnomers has brought such terms into the common vernacular and it's bigger than I am to fix it. Never the less, I stand corrected. I knew that was coming. I expect that the original poster's problem will likely be solved with a little tweaking of the, "detachable magazine". Perhaps it may even be locking into position too high or too low? Sometimes good guns behave badly because of some simple bug in the system.

Last edited:

Chris_B

I use Remington Golden Bullet, and the only problems with the ammo I ever saw, in both my P22 and my MKIII, was failure to fire when well struck. I get 3 or 4 of those per box. I've shot, jeez...twenty boxes of the stuff @525 rounds each.

My pistols like that stuff, and that's that- it works well in those two pistols. :)

tahunua001

I count 1 FTF in 100 as reliable as far as bulk packs go. I had a marlin 60(tube fed 795) and it refused to feed soft lead rounds at all. I found that I had to use either american eagle brass plated or federal 525 box for it to feed with any form of reliability.