How many magazines per pistol?

ds1973

Today on "Gun Talk", Tom Gresham made a good point about numbering your mags so you remember which ones have problems. He also said you should own six or seven mags for each handgun you own.

Do most of you own six or seven mags per handgun? I own four for my Para-14, but one is a ten rounder. It gets expensive buying more of those pre-bans.

I only have three for my Colt Pony pocketlite, I've been meaning to get more but never had any problems with them.

jfrancis

I have about 9-10 mags (Wilsons) for my various 1911s, 6 for my Glock 34, 5 for my S&W 945PC, 4 for my SV Infinity Compact, but only 2 each for my Kahr P9 and Kel-Tec P32. Four is the minimum I would have for any of the guns I shoot in IPDA competition.

Jim V

How many magazines?

Well, I pick up a couple of 1911 magazines when I think of it so have 30 or so. For the BHP, 6. For the FAL over 100, I was getting them for $3.00/magazine for a while.

BK-BHP/1911

The more the merrier!

For my 1911 I have the two stock Norinco mags, 3 Colt 7-rounders, and 5 Chip McCormick 8-rounders. For my 2 BHP's I have the 4 stock magazines with the pistols, 1 mec-gar mag and 5 Promags which work fairly well. I find the factory mags don't reliably lock the slide to the rear.

Mike in VA

I have at least three for eveything I own, and maybe 5-6 for some of my SIGs. Call me dumb or nieve, but I don't feature any defensive senarios where I need 10 mags full of anything. M2

Marko Kloos

My *&* Mod.411 has four mags to go with it, my Firestar and the Beretta Jetfire both only have two mags. My HS2000 and my G29 each have three magazines. Usually I try to get at least three mags per gun, and as many as the budget will allow.

darogue1

I argee with the magazine numbering. I load all my mags prior to the range if one fails I want to know about it! I use the Ptouch system. You can scale the size of the number. As for mags...5 .45 cal 3 makarov 4 Glock 2 for .22 also number my rifle magazines too!---DAROGUE1

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
Some of my handguns only have one or two mags. Those are the guns that collect a lot of dust in the safe. However, I have over 25 (7) round and (8) round Wilson Combat mags and (4) Les Baer mags (basically same mags as the WC) for my various 1911s. In addition, I have (10) 7 round mags for my officer size 1911's. Plus, I have about (20) MecGar, Shooting Stars and Metalform mags for the 1911's.

My Sigs have 3-4 mags each. The BHP has (10) 13 round mags. HK's have 4 mags each and the Beretta has (6) Hi Caps.

The recently purchased G23 only has the two factory mags. That'll change when I visit the next gun show.

PigPen

It depends upon several factors

* Type of fire arm

* Cost of the magazine

* What I am using the firearm for

* How much the magazines are used

* Whether they are legal to manufacture any longer

First off let me state the obvious. Semi-Automatics are single shots without a magazine. So if a firearm is worth keeping and owning, then it’s also worth guarding against not having a functioning magazine for it. This is usually best accomplished through acquiring greater numbers of magazines or buying spare springs for the ones that you have or both for firearms that you count on always having. Additionally, I don’t feel that it necessarily makes sense to talk about the number of magazines per firearm. Sometimes you can talk about the number for a group of firearms that use the same magazine.

I have five 1911-A1 pistols. I shoot them a lot so I will tend to ware out magazines. I count on always having a functioning 1911-A1 for any contingency and magazines are relatively inexpensive. (Inexpensive is a relative term). For the first 1911-A1 I want 8-10 quality magazines; Wilson, McCormick, etc. but for the next 4 1911-A1s I don’t really need any more and usually you get some with the pistol. These are basic self defense firearms.

My AR15 is much like the 1911s in terms of always counting on it for a case of TSHTF. Magazines were more expensive for a while (but after the panic of 1999 they have come down closer to earth), I use them less, BUT THEY ARE NOW BANNED and CANNOT be MANUFACTURED so I have three AR15s and they have a stock of about 30 X 30 rounder and 20X 20 rounder. Hey, these may be all that my grandchildren can get.. These are basic self defense firearms.

One Browning High Power has less use, 6 Mec-Gar 13 round mags, 2 Browning factory mags which is what I use. The Mec-Gars are still wrapped. If mags were less, I would buy more 13 rounder. This is not a basic self defense firearm.

Beretta 92FS has only those high cap magazines that came with it. Those things are priced at nearly a hundred bucks. Too much for a pistol that is shot little and is NOT part of my basic self defense arsenal.

Makarov 9X18 has two mags. Not much use, they are cheap but if it stops running no big loss. I might buy a couple more sometime if the price is right.

I often see folks buy magazines when they don’t really need them now a days. This is probably because we all remember when you could buy all the high caps that you want for cheap. Now we all want to hoard now that they are illegal to manufacture.

Sorry, but your question is a complicated one and does not have a simple answer except as some one already said…..More is better.

PigPen

Shake

Hey ArmySon,

As a side note, how do you like your Metalform magazines? I've heard a lot of good things about them and no bad. Are they really that good?

Do you have the rounded followers, or the flat?

Thanks,

Shake

kjm

I keep about 15 mags for my Beretta 96. I only have 4 that are designated for the 96, and the rest are converted GI mags (hi-cap 9mm) that I converted to a .40 magazine. It was quite easy as my gunsmith pointed out that there is no difference between the 9mm & .40 caliber except about a millimeter at the top. I was able to purchase the mags at an unbelievably good price from someone who didn't know what he had, and so I snapped them up and converted them. Realistically, I think 5 or 6 would be practical. 3 are all you really need, but spares help if you need spare parts, or accidentally damage one (like running over them with your truck).

It was a good point that your grandkids may not be able to find magazines for your pistols in 40 years. Guns are designed to last quite a few lifetimes with appropriate maintainance, but you have to insure that posterity will have magazines too.

RikWriter

Least I have for any gun is for my P12 Para Ord...just four, all hicaps. Six for my Glock 19 (I had ten but sold some when the price went up). Nine for my Browning Hi Power and something like 20 for my Beretta 92 (all hicaps for both, I don't do ten rounders).
Have over two dozen of various manufacture for my 1911s but the only ones I use for defense (carry or home) are Wilson Combat 8 rounders, of which I have 7.

Bob Locke

Most of the "serious" shooters I know have at least 6 magazines for each pistol. I only have two semi-autos (Glock 19 and 21), and that is the number I have for each. I keep three charged (one in and two spares) and three in standby, and I rotate them every so often.

fadingbreed

As many as one can comfortably afford as I don't believe you can have too many. God knows when put into a situation, your one or two mags may malfunction - just my personal thoughts. Take care.

Coronach

I think what is more important is to take thew long view:

How long do you intend to have this firearm and how much longer do you think you'll be able to buy the magazines it requires? Full capacity mags for some guns are scarce and will only get moreso. Figure in wear and tear and it makes since to stock up to a reasonable supply now.

I can think of few scenarios, barring Red Dawn, when you would need 6 mags ready to go. But *having* 6 mags in working order is still probably a good idea.

Also, the Ptouch system? Whats that?

Mike