How many hunting rifles could this vauge wording affect?

PvtPyle

HR 3751 IH

107th CONGRESS

2d Session

H. R. 3751

To prohibit the importation of dangerous firearms that have been modified to avoid the ban on semiautomatic assault weapons.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

February 13, 2002

Mr. NADLER introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

A BILL

To prohibit the importation of dangerous firearms that have been modified to avoid the ban on semiautomatic assault weapons.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Assault Weapon Ban Enhancement Act of 2002'.

SEC. 2. BAN ON IMPORTATION OF DANGEROUS FIREARMS THAT HAVE BEEN MODIFIED TO AVOID THE BAN ON SEMIAUTOMATIC ASSAULT WEAPONS.

Section 925 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following:

`(g) The Secretary shall prohibit the importation or bringing into the United States of any semiautomatic assault weapon (including the frame or receiver of any such weapon) that is of a type which, as of May 1, 1998, was determined under subsection (d)(3) to be not generally recognized as particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes, or that includes any of the following characteristics:

`(1) The weapon has a thumb hole stock that functions as a pistol grip.

`(2) The weapon can accept a detachable large capacity ammunition magazine.

`(3) The weapon has a fixed magazine which can be readily modified to accept a large capacity ammunition magazine.

`(4) The weapon uses .22 caliber ammunition.'.

END

I think they can get alot of hunting rifle with this vauge ban. We should post this on EVERY gun board we can find.

Ceol Mhor

Big question is, what does it mean to be able to accept a large capacity magazine? Guns like the single-stack AKs and Dragunov could hypothetically accept "large capactiy magazines", although none are available.

Radicalcleric

Why specifically include .22 caliber ammunition provision?

As always, when someone must make a judgment call on what constitutes "being particularly suited for sporting use" I have to ask what is "sporting use" and who decides whether the gun is suitable or not? I guess the same morons who write bad laws will become instant firearms experts and tell us what is and is not "suitable" for us to own.

What would be "suitable" is that every single one of these feeble-minded simpletons die suddenly of some rare disease that only effects idiots who think they can tell their betters how to live and be buried face down in unmarked graves.

Jeeper

`(2) The weapon can accept a detachable large capacity ammunition magazine.

That is the one that bothers me. Any gun could potentially be modified to fit this classification.

Kaylee

Hunting rifles? Probably not many...barring of course the gunsmith-required M14 mag coversions on the Rem 700 and the like.

The question is -- why phrase it "how many hunting rifles? Kinda plays into their hands, don't it? Or is the intent to preach to the "they wont come for gramp's thutythuty" crowd?

-K

Brett Bellmore

"or that includes any of the following characteristics"

Vague? That's not vague. That "or that includes any" language is a real killer, folks; As written, it unambiguously bans the importation of ALL firearms which have ANY of the listed characteristics.

Not "suitable for sporting purposes"? Banned.

A thumbhole stock? Banned.

Takes a magazine? Banned.

Could be modified to take a magazine? Banned.

.22 caliber? Banned.

Any one of these characteristics is sufficient to trigger the import ban. If this law were to pass, you couldn't legally import a .22 caliber, single shot starter pistol.

Kaylee

I'm sure you're right Sam.. they always have thought of the SKS as the "stealth assault weapon" I think.

hrmm.. so they want to ban import of ALL .22s? what on earth is their reasoning, given the whole "we're not after sportsmen" schtick they're trying to pull off? Is it the whole "suppressed .22 sniper thing" you think, or are they thinking .223?

-K