How Many EDC Full Size Guns VS. Compact Guns?

mk70ss

I have been carrying a SA Hellcat for awhile now. Recently I purchased a Beretta 92X Compact which I shoot very well and really like. I picked up a few 15 round mags for it and decided to start carrying it concealed. The Beretta is called a “compact”but it’s still pretty good size compared to the Hellcat. How many out there carry a “full sized” semi auto on a daily basis?

AK103K

Ive been carrying one on a daily basis for almost 45 years now. Started with Colt GM and Commander, switched up to a P220, then P226, and for the past 11 years or so now, a Glock 17.

Tried a couple of others in there too, they just didn't last as long as those above.

Big Shrek

Depends entirely on how I intend to dress for the day, where I'm going, and what I plan to do when I get there...
Some days it's the full size 10mm Witness and 3 spare mags, some days it's a .32acp in a pocket...
or anything in between...nice to have options :)

jr24

My preference is 4" (or thereabouts) barrel and about 5-5.25" overall height for my best compromise between shooting and concealment. I also need it to be, loaded, under about 38 oz or so for my back. Anything more and I start having pain nightly.

That includes any of the Glock 19 sized polymers, CZ P01, Sig 229 (226 can work but is a bit heavy, it has a shorter grip, relatively) some HK options, etc.

Many of those are listed as "compact" but all are more of a duty size.

Anything smaller and I just don't like the results on the range, especially rapid fire and movement. I'm lucky enough that a Glock 19 conceals just fine under a light t-shirt, so I don't really need to make any hard choices there.

Edit: my only deference to daily change (weather, etc) is if I'm wearing a coat or sweatshirt and heading to the city, I might swap to extended magazines for the gun and spares.

Last edited:

GarandTd

I've been carrying an RM380 for a while now. I can conceal it easily, year round. In July, I picked up a Canik TP9 Elite SC. It is huge compared to the Remington. The Canik is somewhere between a G19 and G26 in size. I can conceal it pretty well under a hooded sweatshirt or jacket. I have carried it a couple times, but not daily as of yet.

Last edited:

littlebikerider

9mm Shield or Ruger SP-101 for me. I don't think I would want or need to daily carry a heavier gun. For range time or home defense I would definitely prefer a bigger gun.

ammo.crafter

compact ccw

When deep concealment is critical I carry an AMY Backup (380acp) and when I have little issue with deep concealment it''s a Browning Hi-Power.

I do shoot the Hi-power much more accurately than the Backup, which I assume is due to the size differential of the two.

Zero full-size: just Compacts - a Sig P6, Walther P99 AS, CZ PCR.

Two additional Sigs (P6 and an actual, 'true' P225) are "two purdy" too be carried.:D

Will place a bid on a 2nd/3rd. Gen S&W single-stack, compact, 9mm simply to add to the variety.

Concealment/comfort is a higher priority than having a classic "full size".

Last edited:

Kevin Rohrer

This has been asked many times and people's answers are always the same: They carry what they own. And for me that is a full-size 1911 or BHP in an adult caliber.

Brit

My Gen 4 Glock 19 is perfect, not too heavy, or bulky for everyday carry.
Carried in an outside the belt holster, the holster is the original Glock factory manufactured, belt slide, weighs nothing, suitably carved up.

The often stated that you could be in trouble if you modified your carry pistol past the factory specs? I personally have yet to see that shown anywhere.

In my case, the first thing to go, those useless factory plastic sights! TruGlow steel night sights, three green dots line up perfectly, day or dusk. The too-small slide lock (Release) replaced by factory replacement extended one.
And last but not least, the smallest butt plug, aids in rapid mag changes.

Just had a look at my (at this moment bedside table placed G19) I have had this pistol since they first came on the market. The slide is more black than blue.
But without a blemish or scratch whatsoever. Considering all the various hard Kydex holsters it has been in and out of. Reference maintenance?
I put oil on the parts that need it (Promptly wipe it all off!) And last but not least, the ammo, Federal HST 147g hollow points.

Guns I had reason to point at people (Well I am 85 YOA!) First a BHP, then a 45 LW Commander, lastly a Glock 19. I own a Glock 43X in what seems like a Nikle finish, tried carrying it? But 16 rounds compared to 11? What can I say?

shurshot

I like full size, either revolvers or semiautomatic. "Sidearms should be comforting, as opposed to comfortable" (Ayoob). I'm paraphrasing him, but I read that years ago and it just made sense.

I stopped carrying (EDC) anything larger than a Micro 9mm years ago.

Ab8XHrB.jpg

Polinese

I carry either a full size 1911 or a commander slide/officer frame 1911 which is still larger than most EDC guns folk seem to use. Lately I've been carrying the govt model more, though not for any particular reason.

Brit

More and more I see Police shoot outs, the uniformed Officers tote AR15s? or they might be Full Autos? And they are not stingy with the rounds either.
The best urban rifle I own is a Steyr AUG. 30 round mag up, 42 round as a spare. The 1.5 power scope is ideal for anything up to 100M. ie Head Shots.
Split it into two pieces, goes easily into a backpack. Or a tool bag.

Left-hand fills the breach. Safty like a shotgun. Cold hammer-forged 16" barrel.

I know it was for pistols, I still go Glock Gen4 TruGlow night sights. But that's concealed, I know I am definitely going into crap? Rifle too.

unit 900

S&W 3953 for me. Fits the hand well and points very well for me. Mag holds 8+1 which is fine where I usually move around. I swap it for a Glock 19 when I have to visit Baltimore.

KyJim

I used to carry a Commander or CCO-sized 1911 just about every day. Now I usually carry something smaller—SW Shield, SW Compact 1st generation, or a short-barreled revolver.

dgludwig

Unless I need to tuck a pistol away in a really "deep" place (pocket/ankle/belly belt, etc.; for which the Ruger LCP .380 "micro" pistol finds its niche best), I generally carry (either in an iwb or owb holster depending on the weather/social circumstance, etc.) a Smith Model 6906 or a CZ 75D "Compact" 9mm pistol. If I know I have to be in a crime-ridden neighborhood, my SIG Model 227, chambered in .45 ACP, goes along for the ride.

For me, whenever possible and/or practical, I want to carry a handgun that has plenty of punch and is large enough for me to shoot well. Micros and "sub-compact pistols offer the undeniable advantages of being easier to carry and conceal but the sacrifice they pose in handling and shooting (including more recoil, slower recovery on repeat shots, less purchase on the grip and a shorter sighting plane), for me, is not worth the cost.