How many different guns

jimjc

First this isn`t about peoples right to own guns it`s about are we all competent to have many guns with different firing mechanisms, striker fired, hammers, all the different safeties, decocker 1/2 cockers etc. etc. Should we limit our guns to one type of firing and safety mechanisms to insure a mistake from happening. I think there`s some people that can confuse the handgun they are handling if they have 6/8 different types of the above handguns. Or is it simply enough to say that if we all practice "safe gun handling" that would solve any issues. I`m getting older and I`m more serious than ever about safe guns and owning many different models. I know some may think any discussion is like talking about limiting what one can own but it isn`t, it`s about being serious about dangerous weapons and everyones ability to remember over time. Is there a simply answer for this?

johnbt

I can drive a stick shift and an automatic, but I'm so old I can remember cars without power brakes or power steering. I still remember how to double clutch the transmissions that had no synchomesh too.

I guess I just don't see a problem with using different operating systems.

Mrgunsngear

I see the point you're getting at but as long as you train on each platform, I don't think it's a big issue.

For someone who just buys a couple guns and never shoots them for decades but counts on them to defend their lives---they would probably want a common system.

DeeDubya

I guess it goes back to the old adage "Beware of the man who owns only one gun". Implying that with only one gun you would tend to be very comfortable and proficient with it.

I woke up to a loud noise downstairs one night and reached into the night stand for my handgun. With it in my hand I hesitated in my sleepy state to make sure which gun I was holding, if it had a round in the chamber, and did it have a safety engaged. Usually, my CZ75B is in the night stand with a round chambered, so there are no questions and I don't have to make noise racking the slide. You can't engage the thumb safety with the hammer in half cock so just a healthy double-action pull will do the job and yet be relatively safe from an accidental discharge during a confrontation.

L_Killkenny

I don't notice myself having troubles with different platforms. I think that once you get enough rounds down range the feel of the gun kicks in subconscious behavior and off you go. Heck, I have both Winchester and Remington pump shotguns with safeties in different locations and I can take one out in the morning and one in the afternoon and never miss a beat. And it might of been a year since I fired one or the other. Same for me with different semi auto handguns, revolvers, etc.

I will say that the first time I ever tried to use a buddies Rem 1100 on a running deer I did try to pump it after the first shot :D. Of coarse I had never even fired the gun before.

But you do have a point to an extent and I'd rather have 3 guns for 10 roles than 10 guns for 10 roles.

LK

BlueTrain

Nope! You overstate the difficulty of using firearms and underestimate people's abilities with mechanical devices. A few months ago I had the chance to drive a right-hand drive, manual transmission (or gearbox, if you prefer) with six speeds. No problem at all, except I wasn't used to having so many gears. I started out with a vehicle that did not have syncromesh from 1st to 2nd, now I'm up to an automatic (or would that be a semi-automatic) transmission.

On the other hand, at the moment I only have three handguns, though they all work differently.

TailGator

I see no problem with having pistols with different manuals of arms, as long as one doesn't depend on a new handgun for self defense before one is thoroughly familiar with it. I lean towards simplicity for my carry pistol, though.

Superhouse 15

My carry guns are a pretty diverse bunch. I switch between a 1911, a P7M8, a Glock 19,a Browning HP, and occasionally an N frame revolver. When I put it on in the morning I take a few moments to chamber check, and get myself familiar with what I'm using for the day.

FWIW, my constant BUG is a Kel Tec P32, been in exactly the same place in the same holster for many many many years. Weak side back pocket in a custom holster. That hasn't changed maybe 15 years.

K_Mac

I know some may think any discussion is like talking about limiting what one can own but it isn`t, it`s about being serious about dangerous weapons and everyones ability to remember over time. Is there a simply answer for this?

As I understand the question, you are asking if owning and using different types of handguns with different controls is safe. I think the answer is absolutely yes. This takes for granted absolute adherence to the 4 rules. Part of the joy of guns is the many varieties. If I had the money I would have collections like many of the members here. I don't but am confident I can learn the controls and safely handle any weapon that hasn't been made or modified to make it unsafe.

I think the question is more relevant of carry weapons. There is a recent thread discussing this. My opinion is you can carry more than one type if you are well trained, and practice enough to do it seamlessly.

Onward Allusion

jimjc
How many different guns

I drive cars/suvs with manual transmissions and have done so for the last 20 years pretty much continuously. Does this mean I should be forbidden to own/drive a vehicle with an automatic transmission? I don't think so.

Now, going the other way, if all I knew was how to drive a vehicle with an auto trans, I probably shouldn't drive a manual. BTW, a gun is a heck of a lot less complex than driving a vehicle. If you *forget* how to handle a particular type of weapon or get confused at the way it operates, it's probably time to stop shooting or carrying altogether. Probably shouldn't drive either.

Now if you said that you *prefer* a gun w/o an external safety or decocker or a revolver over a pistol, that's an entirely different thing.

CWKahrFan

Should we limit our guns to one type of firing and safety mechanisms to insure a mistake from happening...Is there a simply answer for this?

A person can own and shoot 1,000 different handguns yet only CARRY one tried and true and well-rehearsed favorite...

I, personally, won't deny myself the pleasure of shooting a variety of handguns because I'm worried about one or two seconds of difference in firing my SD weapon in some possible (imagined, statistically unlikely) scenario.

But that's just me... Anyone can do it the way THEY like.

Jimjc:

Short and sweet. You're playing right into the anti-gunners hands. They use all the anti-gun arguments that they can get.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Glifford L. Hughes
USMC retired

sgms

Way over thinking here people. If it is a problem then select one for your bedside gun and only use that one in that location. If you can't remember where the safety is on your carry gun, get a revolver and save your bottom feeder for range fun.

Hardcase

I'm with CWKahrFan and sgms. I carry one type of gun, but I've got many others that I shoot with.

The car analogy is interesting. I drove in England for a few weeks. After a couple of days, I didn't have to concentrate on doing things "backwards", but I also never ran into an emergency situation. That might be because I was driving quite a bit more carefully there than I do here, because the thought was always in the back of my mind that if I had to react in a hurry, I might just react "American" style and end up as somebody's hood ornament.

When I've competed with different guns, I can tell the difference when I'm not using a 1911. When I draw, my thumb automatically goes for the safety and my hands want to grip the gun just so. And, unless I give it a conscious thought, I'm ready for that single action trigger pull. I had a devil of a time when I shot a Walther P5 at a steel challenge match - the first double action shot missed low for the first few courses of fire. But it's not enough of a problem to say that I should only shoot 1911s. I adjusted pretty easily after the first few initial misses.

jimjc

This thread was in no way to be a discussion about, should some people be restricted as to what guns they own, it`s was geared to responsible people reviewing and making a honest appraisal of what they can and cannot do. I believe like some here that a SD weapon should stay the same over time and it just doesn`t make good sense to keep changing them especially when the operating system changes. Like some here mentioned when one wakes in the middle of the knight it can be confusing in the next few minutes and guns need to be well practiced to guarantee proper handling. I believe outside of the SD gun no other firearms in the house should be loaded. Recently I changed my SD gun and I had to try to teach my wife how to use it, she didn`t like the idea of using a different gun and learning how to use it. I am rebuilding my gun collection and taking all this under consideration. The problem is I like many different guns all of which are different.

PT-92

So long as you train accordingly, you can be competent with either one or fifty different guns. Same as anything in life--For example, I work in tech and am well versed in several OS's (Windows, Linux/Unix, OS X) because I use them all frequently. Yet if I would cease to use say a Mac for an extended period of time, it would take a bit of 'getting up to speed' if you will. You make a good point, however, because I fear there are some good-meaning folk who have a number of guns of which they are not adequately familiar with while still relying on them for defensive purposes (could potentially be deadly in a multifaceted manner in that they are ether unable to successfully deploy the weapon when needed or there is a ND/AD).

-Happy Holidays

pelo801

I think I understand where you are coming from, but more than that, I think you are strengthening an anti-gun arguement. I want to have as many guns as I can afford. All different types of guns. I don't feel comforable carrying a single action auto. Some people do, and I say good for them. More power to them. I prefer a DA/SA or a striker fired. I do have several single action autos and I enjoy shooting them, but I don't keep them at the ready. I have a dedicated set of carry guns and home defense guns. All have similar manual of arms, DA/SA. Those are the ones I train with, i am familar with, and the ones I am comfortable with. I think it's up to the individual to know themselves and know the weapons they choose.

jmstr

The best thing about this thread is what it seems all of us can agree on: the need for practice/training.

It is fun to have different platforms: Revolvers [da/sa, or sao or dao], DA/SA semi-autos, SA Hammer-fired semi-autos, Striker-fired semi-autos. They all do different things well, and I enjoy using them at the range. I also enjoy different long gun platforms: semi-auto, pump, bolt or lever-actions.

That said, I am in the process of selecting the handguns I will use for a CCW license, and I am leaning toward all of my CCW firearms [we are only allowed 3 on the license] being the same 'platform'. I think that there is some merit in having a single platform for carry, as I do NOT have the time to train with all 4 platform of handguns I own on a regular enough basis to feel confident in MY abilities to perform well under pressure.

That said I am trying to make some things as uniform as possible between the platforms. For example I am trying to make all of the trigger pull weights between 4.5lbs and 5.5lbs for ANY handgun I would use for carry or defensive purposes. I am trying to keep them closer to 5.25 lbs. That way it doesn't matter if it is my Hi Power, my 1911 or a striker-fired pistol: the same amount of pull will fire all of them. For a range/target only gun I don't mind if the trigger is lighter [a race-ready Caspian would be nice with a 3lb pull!], but if I want to have it in a holster I want close to 5lbs and crisp.

I don't see a problem with different platforms. Each platform has its' advantages and disadvantages. All of my handguns can be seen as toys or tools. I have found that the 'one tool for 100 purposes' tools don't seem to do well at any single one of the purposes. I prefer something designed for specific purposes.

I have different vehicles for different purposes. An automatic transmission in the car, a 5 speed manual in the truck, a 5 speed manual on one motorcycle and a 6 speed [ok, 5 speed with overdrive] manual on another motorcycle. I have different drills for different purposes: Corded Impact, Corded regular, Corded torque head, Cordless regular, Cordless right angle. I have multiple saws as well: a table saw, a skill/radial saw, a chop saw, a jig saw and a sabre saw. My dremel tool has multiple attachments.

So I am in the majority on this one: no need to have only one platform.

And we need to train on whatever we may use.

The story of the wife was interesting. I am assuming [dangerous, I know] that she doesn't shoot as much? Some people only want a gun for one reason: defense. Thus they don't see a need to have different platforms. It is too confusing as they don't want to spend as much time training with it.

I have dated some women who had 6 different pairs of shoes with 3" heels, 6 pairs with 4" heels, 6 pairs with 2.5" heels, and then there were the 'wedges' and sandals. I could see the need for one of each at each height, but didn't get the reason for so many versions of each at each height. Until my friend asked me why I 'needed' more than one 9mm pistol....

Mello2u

Just don't go faster than you safely can with different types of handguns. When practicing defensive shooting, start slow. After you feel competent, work up your speed.

This concern about different types of actions and safeties or no safeties (and such) is a valid concern when you are out of time and you need to react to a deadly force situation. In that instance you need to stop the threat as quickly as possible.

This is why I have chosen to carry only 1911 type handguns for concealed carry for the last 25 years.