How many cast?

CrustyFN

Just curious how many here cast their own. I cast for 45 auto and plan to cast for 9mm when I run out of factory bullets.
Rusty

bvillars

bullet molds

this may not be the right forum but i have a lead melting pot and a couple of bullet molds that i would give someone. located dfw area, maybe you would then give something to someone else but not a requirement

zxcvbob

I cast several different bullets for .38 Special and .45 Colt. Still shooting commercial cast bullets for .357 Magnum, 9mm, .380, and .30 Carbine for now (I stocked up a few years ago); will eventually cast for those too.

putteral

I cast for .380, 9mm and .45. I have found my casting bullets much more accruate than commercial cast I use to buy. I have been using straight wheel weights for casting.;)

Sevens

I do not cast my own.

I am interested in it, but not that interested in it, yet. I have a lot of hobbies to keep me busy when all of the rest of life isn't keeping me busy.

IF I had some kind of source for lead that was free and easy, I'd either start stockpiling or I'd start casting.

If I had to guess at the future, I could see me trying the gig, but I'm not ready to do it just yet. I'm still having a helluva lot of fun reloading.

It doesn't seem to be completely cut and dried to make DECENT cast bullets. Getting the proper alloy mix, the proper temp, the proper hardness, and even getting all the correct, then sizing and lubing, too?

Like I said, I'm having a blast with reloading, so I'll stick to that.

I just started casting for .45 acp/ LC and .38/.357 and soon to be 9mm. I have found my cast boolits to be superior to those commercially available, also. I use Lee tumble lube mold and leading is non-existent. I have tons of brass my old man gets from work, and I get my lead wheelweights for free. A box of 50 .45s costs me $2...not including my time! But it is so easy to cast that if you shoot alot and have the time it is silly not to do it! It just makes reloading that much more enjoyable. Can't wait to take a buck this year with some cast .357 Mags.

Rusty, I hope I make you proud. I've been wanting to get into it. I think I'm going find me a cast iron pot, a burner, and a good bullet casting book. I've been sitting on the fence, but this week I'm going to look for stuff like good used equipment like ladles, muffin tins, etc.

CrustyFN

Sounds good Tuttle, make sure you have a good lead supply. I get wheel weights from a couple of tire stores. Plain WW's will make some good bullets.
Rusty

Ifishsum

I cast .45 (both ACP and LC), .38/.357, .454 and .490 round balls and conicals for my black powder guns.

I second CrustyFN - Before investing in the equipment, check to see that you can secure a decent source or supply of lead. Scrap is getting harder to come by, and if you have to pay very much for it the cost savings shrivels pretty quick. None of the tire stores around here will give wheel weights to folks anymore at all (stating environmental and recycling concerns).

NuJudge

I cast for everything but shotgun

The only caliber which does not work is 6.5mm Mannlicher-Shoenauer. The barrel is really fast twist, and the bullets go wild above 1200 fps.