how long will it last

J270

Wanting to get the wife a compact. I am not sure what to get her, looking at the CZ line. My question is, What is the difference in longevity between alloy vs steel framed guns.

Caboclo

Either one will outlast you. Very, very few people manage to wear out a gun. Even the plastic ones. If you get into competitive shooting in a really big way, you might replace your barrel and a few springs once every 10 years or so.

tirod

Cost and weight of carry, plus potential use, would suggest that she might prefer the alloy frame. Veteran husband answer, let her handle them and make up her own mind.

donato

The CZP01 or PCR are nice shooting handguns. I owned the P01 and would say it is one of the softest shooting 9mm handguns around - it handles/feels nice. However, I prefer a bit smaller gun for carry. Owned a RAMI also. I liked it but thought it a bit harsh (Recoil) to shoot.

Agree with the others, you're not going to wear out the alloy handgun.

gyvel

What Caboclo says is basically true, but, from a point of sheer durability, steel will outlast aluminum, plastic, and especially zinc.

jmr40

The expected life of most alloy guns is about 35,000 rounds. Lots of steel guns with well over 100,000 rounds through them. There are several plastic guns over the 300,000 round count.

But lets's be honest. 35,000 rounds is 700 boxes of ammo. Even @ $10/box that is $7,000 worth of ammo to wear out a gun. If you can afford the ammo to wear one out, you can afford to replace a worn out gun.

Skans

While an alloy gun will hold up to shooting well enough, they tend to show a lot more wear from carrying. Some alloy guns are coated with very hard coatings which hold up very well. However if they don't have an expensive coating on them, they are prone to getting dinged, scratched and rub marks.

J270

Thank for your thoughts folks. She is a high school teacher so it will not be a carry gun. No weapons on campus.
She can Handel my G22 just fine, but with the cost of ammo, I think we are going to go with the 9mm. I want her to be very comfortable in learning her new weapon, more money for ammo more practice time.

With that being said, do you think that it would be better to go with the 75 compact, (because heavyer than the po 1) for les recoil,

Another question would be, how does the recoil differ between the PO-6 vs the G22, because I have a decent amount of .40 ammo. (But then again very house should have a 9mm):p

Slamfire

That is a very difficult question and I think it comes down to how much load the alloy part is carrying.

Aluminum has a finite fatigue life. You can make the aluminum part thicker, exactly like a steel part, and the amount of loadings it carries will increase, like steel, but unlike steel, where you can make the part so thick that it will have an infinite fatigue life, you can’t do that with aluminum. Which is why an aluminum aircraft has to be totally rebuilt after XXX flight hours. Steel is too heavy for an aircraft so airlines have to live within the limitations of aluminum.

Certain designs, such as revolvers, the frame carries a significant load and in time an alloy revolver will crack. It may take 10,000, 30,000 rounds, but it will crack. Other designs, such as an autopistol, I am certain that the heavy load paths are carried by steel. So then lifetime becomes an issue of wear. I do know the Walther P38, originally a steel autopistol, when the post war frames were made out of aluminum, something bad happened because later P1’s have a steel reinforcing pin in the frame.

As others have said, the amount of ammunition you will have to shoot will be more than the cost of the pistol, so, buy what feels good in the hand.

bedbugbilly

Is this for you? If it's for your wife . . I'd let her pick out what she likes. You certainly can make recommendations but in the long run, she will be the one using it. A husband picking out a gun for is wife is no different than a wife picking out a gun for her husband . . . just saying . . :D:)

makarov

If she isn't going to carry it, a heavier gun will absorb recoil energy better. She may like shooting the all steel gun better. I love by CZ's, great guns!

Wreck-n-Crew

Straight to the answer of which last longer alloy or steel, good steel will outlast alloy without a doubt. Steel does not wear as fast.

Notes:
The parts that more often wear out in most guns are the replaceable ones such as recoil springs, magazines, and barrels before the rails fail. Alloy frames are more easily worn out but it is not unusual to get 100,000 out of one. My brother-in-law had 80,000 in his Taurus 92 before it was stolen and the wear was not bad at all.

We had a thread on this before that lead to some research and the thing that puzzled me the most is why a gun maker would not use such a high round count as a selling point, one call told me why.When in a conversation with Glock they told me that it is not out of the ordinary to get 300,000 + rounds out of a pistol and more importantly not a selling point. What provoed the call was a report made by an ammunition company about a Glock that achieved it in the 90's (if my recollection I on par) I videotaped the call on a post last year. Seems that comparable numbers have been accomplished in several weapons.

I have a friend with a colt, over 120,000 rounds and I believe it will easily double it. Even polymer rails that are thick enough and made of hard polymer last longer than many might think because of their strength and low friction qualities.
Some models of firearms are still in use by some LE that were produced in the early 90's. Can't imagine how many rounds these guns have fired over the past 20+ years. Two of the most common would be the Glock and metal framed S&W 3rd gens.

Post note: Get a good gun, clean and grease after every use and the gun will likely last as long as your grandchildren.