How Long Has It Been Since Springfield Armory...

Joe_Pike

...has had a GI model 1911 with a high polish blue slide? We took one in on trade today at the shop I work for and I'm really digging it because it is a 9mm. I have looked on Gunbroker but couldn't find any recent listings. I know it has been a while because the bluing has that purple tint to it that some bluing jobs get over time.

RickB

All G.I.s are parkerized, and Springfield hasn't had any blued production models for years, but they did have blued, no-frills models.
One way to date Springfields is by the contouring of the frame front strap and dustcover.
Throughout the '90s, Springers had "square", large-radius contours, and they switched to more rounded, Colt/G.I. look in the early 2000s.
If the gun is blued and has rounded contours, then it's probably very early, from the late '80s.

Joe_Pike

The slide is blued with that purple tint you sometimes see. I just assumed it would be a GI since it has GI sights and the ejection port wasn't lowered/flared. The serial number is NM70xxx(?) I'll have to check the contouring on those areas you spoke of.

Last edited:

RickB

If the front strap wraps around to almost touch the leading edges of the grips, and it's factory blue, the gun is probably from the late '80s.
If there is 1/8" of flat frame exposed forward of the grip panels, then the gun is 1990's.
By the early 2000s, I think they had stopped offering blued finishes.

damienph

The MilSpec and the GI are not the same model. The MilSpec looks GI-ish but has a little larger sights and slanted cocking serrations and I think a lowered ejection port. It also has the crossed cannon logo as part of the slide rollmark.

The GI has smaller sights, straight cocking serrations and a high ejection port. Except for the roll marks (too large but no crossed cannon logo) and a civilian style thumb safety it is a pretty good likeness of the 1911A1s that I was issued yeas ago.

I had a GI that I gave my son, still have an Ultra Compact and an MC Operator, none of which are blued.

Joe_Pike

Well here are a few pics of the areas that were described, so, I guess it's from the late '80s?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0605.JPG
    IMG_0605.JPG
    168.5 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG_0606.JPG
    IMG_0606.JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 426
  • IMG_0607.JPG
    IMG_0607.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 433

gc70

The slide rollmark is consistent with a Mil-Spec. I don't believe any of the GI models had the second 'CAL 9MM' line.

RickB

Is the top of the slide flattened?
Very early Springfield 9mms had a flat running between the sights.

RickB

If the finish is factory blue, then I'd say the gun is 25-30 years old, when basic, military-style pistols is all Springfield made.

Kreyzhorse

I emailed SA and they told me it was made in June of 1989.

Damn.... I thought for sure that was a July of 1989 model. Oh well, live and learn.

Looks like it would have been a nice blue right off the line.