How long does your FFL take to send data to the seller's store?

It is fairly standard that your gun store normally sends its FFL# etc to the other store or whichever FFL.
I'm 64 and am not really a novice.

Does a store normally need just 1-2 days to transmit the necessary info? Just puzzled.
Today is the fourth day.

My only call to them has been about whether the store has my phone number, and that was the only time I've called since they type my info into their computer (in person). They entered my info four days ago, in person.

hemiram

Most of the time, the 3 different FFL holders I've used sends the info almost immediately. Well less than a day. Usually in minutes. Once I bought a gun on an auction site, called my FFL to send his info to the seller, and about 5 minutes later, got an email from the seller that he had my info and the gun would be shipped the next morning. And it was.

jar

Usually in minutes. They simply attach it to an email or send a fax. The issue can sometimes be an error in email addresses or as in a very recent case a message that went into the ffl's spam folder.

MTT TL

It depends. If it is during a business day it should be same day. If not should be next business day. Gun shops are in the business of selling you stuff. Charging you $15-50 for a handling fee to fill out a form, make a phone call and hand you a gun it is pretty close to pure profit.

WVsig

I have a copy of my FFLs paperwork which I send with my payment or email immediately. Not all FFLs are comfortable doing this. If they won’t I would say 48 hrs is reasonable if they can’t do that that get another FFL.

USNRet93

It is fairly standard that your gun store normally sends its FFL# etc to the other store or whichever FFL.
I'm 64 and am not really a novice.

Does a store normally need just 1-2 days to transmit the necessary info? Just puzzled.
Today is the fourth day.

My only call to them has been about whether the store has my phone number, and that was the only time I've called since they type my info into their computer (in person). They entered my info four days ago, in person.
'My' FFL sends it as soon as he has the seller's email...like right after I call or email my FFL the specifics. Matter of hours.

Doyle

With mine, it is the same evening (part-time FFL who does gun stuff as a sideline from his home).

dogtown tom

MTT TL....Charging you $15-50 for a handling fee to fill out a form, make a phone call and hand you a gun it is pretty close to pure profit.
In this thread we find out who doesn't understand how business works, much less how to determine "profit".:rolleyes:

FrankenMauser

The majority of businesses I've dealt with were quick to send a copy to the shipping FFL.
A few took a day, or so.

But, in the modern world, it is usually almost instantaneous, via email.
It's the same everywhere that I do business now, but with my usual guy, it goes a bit like this:

"Hey, Joe. I just won an auction for a 1923 Bummgesplitten Boomenfahrter. Can you please send a copy of your FFL to 'Bob the Gat Gitter' at gatblaster at email dot guns?"
-- Joe: "...at email dot guns?"
"Yep. Auction number is #######."
-- Joe: "Your phone number is still the same one you're calling on, right?"
"Yep."
-- Joe: "Sent. A Bummgesplitten Boomenfahrter, eh? I've never gotten my hands on one of them before..."

My Screw UP::eek:

My eyes never focused on the second 's' in the seller's e-mail address when first delivering the info. They later sent a query which my local store never saw or clicked on, but it wasn't anybody else's mistake.

I twice gave my recipient FFL store the wrong spelling:eek:. Luckily the seller received the local store's FFL data etc today.

Very red-faced. Sorry to have wasted you folks' time, and appreciate the responses nevertheless.
It will be pretty cool to have a first polymer 9mm gun, chosen by multiple German, Netherlands, Finn and Estonian agencies (Walther P99 AS), despite being superceded by the PPQ.

Last edited:

dogtown tom

Ignition Override.........Does a store normally need just 1-2 days to transmit the necessary info? Just puzzled.
Today is the fourth day....
Find a new FFL for your transfers. This one doesn't value you or the idea of doing transfers enough.

When I get a transfer request from a customer it takes me a whopping 20 seconds to click "Reply", type the sellers email address, copy and paste my shipping instructions, attach the FFL and click "Send". (assuming my customer sent me the sellers contact info)

Then I sit back and enjoys that pure profit.:rolleyes:

SGW Gunsmith

I send my FFL copy & tax information via email, many times while the person needing me to do that is still in my shop. If they call me to do that, I request an email from them to send me the sellers email information. After I get that info, I immediately email scanned copies the seller needs. Takes maybe a couple of minutes.
Now, getting the OK for the background check could be improved in many ways.

With most FFLs now using email, it should happen rather quickly.

Oh, how many times I've wished that were true. :(

I was continually amazed by the fact I had to walk people through the process of using a fax machine in 2015. Other dealers didn't even have that, and I had to send copies through the mail.

SPEMack618

We do our level best to do it right when the email comes in.

The problem is Joe Bob buys something via phone from the back of Shotgun News and brings us a scrap of paper during the Saturday morning rush.

Or when we get an incomplete email address or no order number.

We charge $25 for WCL holders; $30 for everybody else.

That may seem like we are making straight profit but for every simple guns from Buds; there is one where I spend an hour on the phone trying to run down a FedEx package that went the wrong place

After being the dumb cause for staffer Greg's frustration....

...I'll offer a free lunch of Corky's BBQ to him, who had been stumped at the local gun shop's computer. Corkys is a 1-minute walk from their shop.