How long does shipping take?

grubbylabs

I ordered a rifle from Cheaper than Dirt yesterday and it said 10-15 day's to get it shipped. Does any one know if it really does take that long or are they just covering themselves?

If you don't like CTD please don't tell me, I don't care if you do or don't. Your issues are not my issues with them. I don't want to here how a bunch of people hate them because they price gouged during the shortage or did other things you felt were really horrible.

If its shipping related, by all means please share.

lcpiper

I ordered a rifle from Cheaper than Dirt yesterday and it said 10-15 day's to get it shipped.

I checked their website and I added a rifle into the cart, added my ZIP Code and it said 7-10 days for free shipping. I tried to select a different shipping method and the selector only offers the Free Shipping option for a rifle. I tried a pistol with the same result. I then tried a hand held radio and was presented with several shipping options with differing prices.

I am pretty sure that when you order from Cheaper Then Dirt that it will take from 7 to 10 days for your order to arrive once the order has been processed and shipped.

grubbylabs

Looks like every thing they sell there is drop shipped. So I assume they take your money, clear your FFL, make sure he/she can receive your rifle and then they send the order over the the ware house that you ordered your item from. The FFL I am using has received guns from them in the past and he kinda thought should have it by the end of the week first of next, but their web site and the person I talked to 10-15 days.

mete

Back many years ago there was a company that put out adds for a product and when they got a bunch of orders ,they would place those orders !! So you could have a long wait .It might have been 10 days from when they got the items !
When I got that info [not from them] they were taken off my list and out of my memory .:)

grubbylabs

Well not sure if it is really drop shipping, but the way they explain their warehouse set up, it kinda give the impression that their stuff is drop shipped.

As you can imagine I am pretty excited about getting my new rifle, this is what I ordered. http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/3-0138357 I paid $1406.42 and my FFL cost $20.00.

Last edited:

FrankenMauser

Part of CTD's estimated wait time for shipping is to allow for processing in-house, as well as getting your FFL's information (which can take a few days, for slowpokes). And if you happen to have a weekend (or two) in the middle of the process, it just adds to the delay.

If you order on a Friday, it takes your FFL 3 days to get their information to CTD, and it takes CTD 3 days to "process" the order after verifying the FFL, you've just written off 10 days (6 business days and 2 weekends), before the invoice is even sent to the shipping department (11 days, if you include the Friday on which you ordered). Then you have packaging and either a wait time for the common carrier to pick up the package, or a wait time while CTD sends their truck to the carrier's collection point.

If they're a company that only has pickups (or trucks leaving) in the morning, then it's pretty much guaranteed to spend at least a full day in the shipping department. Then, you have shipping time. And, finally, you have to wait for your FFL to open, inspect, and log the firearm; before calling you to let you know it's ready for the transfer.

All in all, you can easily burn up 3 weeks worth of wait time, without even trying. Most places operate fairly smoothly, but every transaction is different...

Be patient.

grubbylabs

Well I read the ship time before I ordered so I have no room to complain, no matter how much I wish it would go faster. Just hoping the were being pessimistic about their ship times.

dogtown tom

grubbylabs Well not sure if it is really drop shipping, but the way they explain their warehouse set up, it kinda give the impression that their stuff is drop shipped.
Only nongun items come from different "warehouses".
All firearms come from CTD "Outdoor Adventures", their retail store in Ft Worth. Recently they changed their name to "Ft Worth Gun" and moved to a different location.

It should be noted that there are a multiple companies that use the Cheaper Than Dirt name, the CTD Outdoor Adventures (and Cheaper than Dirt Guns in McKinney) sold guns, but when you went in their store they would tell you they were a separate company from CTD the mail order company. They actually have a counter in the back of the store where you can pick up catalog orders or even place an order at the counter.

Supposedly several years ago, the original owners/partners of CTD split the company into separate entities because of "differences".

grubbylabs

Man I hate waiting:D. After today's Midway delivery I have every thing but the gun, extra mags 6-700 bullets 500 pieces of brass, 10lbs of powder or so. I just need the gun.

grubbylabs

45colt is not even on the radar, a 30-30 is though. I just need to find one I want to shell out the clams for. Oh and I guess have the clams to shell out would help also. After this experience its going to take a while to recoup the funds. I spent way more than I was initially planning on spending.

jag2

I hope you got their last one, that link says they are out of stock and there are no backorders accepted.

grubbylabs

It did not show out of stock till the day after I ordered mine. I called to double check and they said my order would have been canceled if it went out of stock before my order was accepted.

MarkDozier

7 - 10 days is a was safety margins. Normally carriers will deliver ground shipments within a 7 day period nation wide. They fudge the numbers to accord for holidays.

grubbylabs

Whoo hoooo I got a tracking number tonight. Kinda odd but the email came about 9:30 tonight.

I am really exited about that. But I could possibly still have some shipping problems. The Post Office seems to have lost
My order of 500 pulled 175 grain Sierra Match Kings that I paid $130.00 for. The tracking number showes delivered but the mail box is empty.

FrankenMauser

My order of 500 pulled 175 grain Sierra Match Kings that I paid $130.00 for. The tracking number showes delivered but the mail box is empty.
Check the trash can. :rolleyes:

I had a FedEx driver, at my last house, that would put packages in our garbage can or under my motorhome, if we weren't home on trash day. If someone was home, he'd just throw the packages at my front door, from the sidewalk or driveway. Genius! :eek:

I also had a Postal Carrier at that house that was a 60+ year old woman that could barely lift her own arms. When orders of bullets or lead alloys would come in, she wouldn't even make it past the sidewalk most of the time. I'd have to go take the package from her, or she'd go find a neighbor to carry to my front porch.

FrankenMauser

Just to contrast a small operation with a big operation....

Saturday night, at 10:42 pm, I ordered some AR lower receivers.
At 11:15 pm, I sent an email to the company, about an error I noticed on the invoice.
At 11:48 pm (12:48 am his time), the owner of the company replied to my email, assuring me everything was fine. (It's a glitch they're aware of.)
And then we discussed the evolution of his company, and his future goals until about 1:30 am (2:30 his time) on an hour-lost daylight savings Sunday morning. ;)

-Ordered late Saturday night.
-Error on the invoice cleared up at nearly midnight on a Saturday night.
-The order shipped and was headed for my local FFL at 1 pm, today.

You can't beat service like that. :D