How is TiteGroup for lite loads?

Dave R

I ask because I have Unique and TiteGroup, and I found out by experience that Unique is lousy with light loads. Unburnt powder everywhere.

Will I have the same problem with TiteGroup?

Don't wanna have to buy a new powder, but may be persauded, if some powder excels at lite load in pistols

The use is a Charter Pitbull––revolver in .40S&W. Want some lite loads to entice the wife and daughters to shoot it. Have bullets from 130gr. to 180gr. Would like to get around .380acp levels. No worries about cycling the slide in a revolver. :)

I like using a fast burning powder for light loads. Recoil is less and it burns cleaner. I prefer to use WST or AA2 for light loads. They will even cycle a semi-auto. I haven't used Tite Group so I can't say how it will work.

aiming fluid

I've had good success with it in reduced loads in sw500. It's not position sensitive, meters well and it's economical. But it's also very dense so most titegroup loads can be double or triple charged without overflowing the case. Be sure you have some means of visually inspecting each charged round in your reloading routine.

warningshot

TiteGroup was designed for light loads, and, and, ...producing & maintaining consistant pressures between temperture exstreams.

Huskerguy

Titegroup

You will get lots of pros and cons on TG with this thread. I personally like it. Although I have NOT tried a lot of powders. Yes, it does not take much so the spread between minimum and maximum loads is small. Yes, it is possible to double charge if you are not careful. Having said all of that, it is a very accurate powder for me in 38, 9 and 40. It meters well, economical, and price effective.

PhilGarn

I load 40 S&W bullets (155gr) over 5.5gr of TiteGroup and get a really smooth cycling load without a lot of recoil. I don't think it's quite as soft as the .380 but my wife and daughter both shoot it without hesitation. I was loading 135gr bullets over 6.0gr for plinking and it seemed to have even less recoil. I've since moved up to 155s for my SD loads and just quit loading the lighter bullets altogether.

BigJimP

TiteGroup is a good powder....and it ignites well in large volume cases
( like .44 mag where you have a lot of room in the case ) ...so it'll probably burn cleaner than Unique....

but there is no way you're going to find a published recipe that will let you get a 135 or 180 gr bullet in a .40S&W case ...because you'd have to slow that bullet down to between 500 and 675 fps... and you might be risking getting a bullet lodged in your barrel / ...its too risky in my view.

I would look for a powder that will give you the lowest muzzle velocity in the .40S&W case using that 135 gr bullet you have ...in the books I have here...Hodgond Clays will be your best option ...but there may be others...load the minimum published...and not worry about unburnt powder...its not that big a deal.

Dave R

Update

I loaded some 180gr. at 3.1gr of Titegroup. No chrony, but had plenty of recoil, and I checked for bore obstruction after each shot. Much cleaner than Unique, and very consistent and accurate.

I'll try 3.1of Titegroup under the 135gr. this week.

zxcvbob

Do you know anyone who reloads shotgun shells, especially 12 gauge target loads? Borrow a few ounces of Red Dot or Promo powder from 'em and give it a try.