How involved are you?

Maser

I was wondering how involved are you guys who shoot muzzle loaders or cap and ball revolvers. When I used to have my cap and ball revolver I casted my own bullets and made my own powder and even on a few occasions made percussion caps. Buying all the components is way too expensive I think.

What about you guys? Are you a do-it-yourselfer like I was?

tinker2

Maser

I cast my own bullets when I can’t buy what I want. My
powder making was just so I could if needed. Making
my own percussion caps was a pain to do.

I still flake my own flint sometimes and build a gun if
it is something that I can’t get. I would rather spend the
same time making a new gun, then the components.

I buy what I can from my local gun shop, that way when
I need something they will still be in business when I need it.

I went to your forum, nice I liked it. Needs more black powder.

Good luck with it.

Tinker2

I cast my own balls - especially the minie balls. They way too expensive to buy and it's cheaper to cast them. Regarding flints, I buy them and have hundreds at home just in case the British decide to go for Round #3. Caps I can make (Tap-o-Cap) so I'm not too worry about them.

Low Key

I cast my own balls and make my own lube for my 1858 Remington. I've looked at making my own bp, but I think I'll pass on that until Hodgedons goes out of business. I've also refinished 2 of my guns to my own liking. I antiqued one of my 58's by stripping the blue off and then browning with Birchwood Casey Plum Brown, then polished that down with 0000 steel wool until it looks like an original.
jointedpinD.jpg

The 5.5in barrel Rem no longer has any blue on it, I stripped it to bare metal and polished it to a nice shine - no pics yet, and I'm looking around for some simulated Ivory grips for it to complete that project. :)

Here's a better pic of the "antique":
fakeantique.jpg

Duncaninfrance

I buy them and have hundreds at home just in case the British decide to go for Round #3.

Too busy with the Cricket and Football World Cup right now Gary so you don't have to worry for a few months!
Duncan