How important is reliability and durability of a pistol?

Saab1911

The other day, I talked to a guy at the range. He had a S&W 22A. He
said he bought it because the Ruger Mk III was too expensive. I asked
him what other pistols he had. He told me that he mostly had Taurus pistols
and a Saturday night special.

I did not say this to his face, but that's absolutely not how I shop
for a pistol. I'm more like another guy I ran into at the range that owned
an HK Mk 23 :eek: and an HK USP Tactical. He said that he saved up to
buy quality firearms.

I don't get the logic of shopping in the bargain basement bin for firearms.
A firearm that is poorly made can be more dangerous to the shooter than
to anybody else. And I simply hate shipping firearms, and every time I ship
a firearm my wallet becomes a lot lighter. So, I would much rather
own a firearm that will not have to be fixed several times right out of the
box.

What about you? Do you buy the cheapest possible firearms? How important
is reliability and durability?

There are gun manufacturers that make good quality firearms and
sell them at a modest price such as Ruger and Glock. I'd rather own one
Glock than ten Saturday night specials. The other way around does not
make any sense to me. :confused:

Cheers,

jae

If he's shooting a .22 on the range and all he cares about is that it puts holes fairly close together when it goes 'bang', then he's not too worried about reliability.

You can purchase the fastest, or the most powerful, or the most reliable automobile. Or, you can purchase the one that costs the least per mile driven. If all you care about is that it takes you to work and back cheaper than anything else, then you made the correct choice that fits your perceived needs.

The same pretty much applies to anything that has price/quality points, whether you're speaking of telephone service, cellular call plans, food, medicines, health care, insurance, automobiles, motorcycles, airlines, tanks (Sherman vs Panzer), etc.

Saab1911

If he's shooting a .22 on the range and all he cares about is that it puts holes fairly close together when it goes 'bang', then he's not too worried about reliability.

You can purchase the fastest, or the most powerful, or the most reliable automobile. Or, you can purchase the one that costs the least per mile driven. If all you care about is that it takes you to work and back cheaper than anything else, then you made the correct choice that fits your perceived needs.

The same pretty much applies to anything that has price/quality points, whether you're speaking of telephone service, cellular call plans, food, medicines, health care, insurance, automobiles, motorcycles, airlines, tanks (Sherman vs Panzer), etc.

Tell that to GI's that have burns over half their bodies because German
Panther 88mm shells sliced through the front armor of their Shermans like
a hot knife through butter. To engage the Panther, the Sherman had to
drive up way close because the guns were inferior, but even when the
Sherman got within range, the shells that it fired just bounced off the
Panther. The Sherman is a really bad example.

And poor choice of telephone service will not kill you.

Relability and durability does not always have to cost a lot (e.g. Glock, Ruger, CZ)

Last edited:

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
And poor choice of telephone service will not kill you.

That's my take.... if life depends on it, quality above all.

If the only question is quality vs price it depends on the significance of the purchase. For example, I will generally get whatever cell phone is free or cheapest because all I care about is calling people, not taking pictures or texting or fancy ring tones or gps, my phone calls people, and that's my only criteria.

Christian James

Reliability and durability are very important qualities. I only own three firearms at the moment, a Ruger 22/45, a Les Baer Concept II, and a CZ-452. I expect all three of them to outlast me.

It all comes down to what you want. Some people want a bunch of guns. Me, I only want guns that I can shoot, I don't have much fun with a gun that stays in the safe. So I'd rather have a few really nice pieces that I'll shoot often.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
My firearms MUST BE stone cold reliable; and built by a QUALITY
manufactuer'er. Did you hear me? I said, stone cold reliable, and
built by a quality manufactuer'er~! Therefore, don't come to my
house expecting too find inexpensive, cheaply built junk firearms.
I have spent countless $$$$$ on my firearms inventory; and I
expect too spend some more in the future, especially if our next
presidential election goes south~! :rolleyes: :( :barf:

Van55

When it comes to the safety of my family and me, there's NO substitute for reliability. That's why I bought a GP100 as my first home protection handgun.

Saab1911

When it comes to the safety of my family and me, there's NO substitute for reliability. That's why I bought a GP100 as my first home protection handgun.

And Rugers are affordable.

I expect too spend some more in the future, especially if our next
presidential election goes south~!

If the election comes South, we'll be sure to put two in its head for screwing up.
I'm afraid Hussein (a.k.a BO) is going to take this one, though.

The Great Mahoo

Quality is important, but not always my highest priority. I have a few guns of various grades. For a weapon I intend to trust my life with, I have dependable guns that I can count on working.

However, I am not above buying a cheaper gun to use on the range and don't worry much if i have to send it somewhere (though I won't be happy) as I have others to use in its stead.

Laserlips

JMOfartO:

Qualities I require in a firearm in order of priority:

1. RELIABILITY
2. RELIABILITY
3. RELIABILITY

4. Durability
5. Accuracy (at self defense range).

6. Everything else.

Jesse

Archie

What is the Function involved?

For a defensive pistol, reliability is one of the top three, the other two qualities being adequate power and adequate accuracy.

With no question, a defensive pistol must work every time it is needed. Therefore, I choose quality handguns for defense. I test fire my defensive guns on a regular basis with the ammunition I use when carrying.

For a competitive target pistol, accuracy is probably more important. Some competitions allow 'alibis' and therefore, one can overcome an occasional malfunction. (Too many malfunctions seriously detract from one's concentration, so one wants a fairly reliable handgun). Those types of competition which do not allow alibis or refires for pistol malfunction of course require more reliability. However, accuracy is the key quality and power is defined by the rules of the game.

For hunting, reliability is a serious factor, but variable. For large dangerous game, reliability is more important than for shooting bunnies, for instance. In any event, reliability must be balanced against suitable power - the most reliable .22 long rifle pistol is not suitable for black bear, for instance - and accuracy required for proper delivery.

For blasting cans or dirt clods informally, reliability is not very urgent. Other than to suggest a firearm that requires constant 'clearing' and manipulation is probably not the pistol for a younger shooter (like one's child) as this manipulation can be dangerous. The more one 'fools' with a handgun, the more opportunity for improper discharge or hangfire.

I rate my carry guns on five points...

Concealability (size)

Ease of carry (weight)

Power

Ease of shooting (comfort/accuracy)

Appearance

As you can see, reliability is not even on the list. That is because I will not even consider a gun that I do not consider to have a reputation for 100% reliability. Even then, reputation is not enough to get a gun considered for CC. To even get rated the gun has to be perfectly reliable at the range first.

And yes, appearance is on my list. I know some people will not think appearance is important, but it is important to me so I include it. I have always found that manufacturers that take the time and effort to make a firearm look good usually also take the time to make it work well.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus

You sir, have really thought this through. Excellent criteria IMO.

I do have to add though that I had a shotgun that I only owned because it looked cool, shot it about twice because it kicked like a mule with skeet loads, but we're talking handguns. :D

I can see owning a gun that has crap reliability if you know and understand but just like it for some reason, certainly never to put your life on the line.

Yankee Traveler

"And poor choice of telephone service will not kill you."

I have, and more to the point my wife has, been on a long road trip through cities and states unknown when faced with unexpected detours at night. Do I want my wife on the Cross Bronx Expressway at night? No. Do I want my in East St. Louis at night? No. Do I want my wife to break down in some bad nieghborhood we never heard about just to find out the cell phone service we cheaped out on is second rate?

You can buy a reliable economy car, reliable cell phone and service without bluetooth/camera/etc...and you can buy reliable firearms at less then top shelf prices.

I'm not slow, I'm not fast, but I hate half A55ed anything. Quality and reliability are the most important factor with any purchase.

"...Reliability is the single factor that I base my carry choice upon...."
"...Reliability is number one on my list. I got Glocks..."

You guys do realize the person referenced is shooting a S&W 22 pistol, right? That's a .22 caliber target pistol, Not what anyone would call a 'carry gun'. He just wants to put holes in paper. He realizes he not in the Olympic class, he's just a plinker. Why does he need ultra-reliability, when if there's a misfire all he has to do is toss out a rimfire .22 and load another one?

Not everyone requires the very best there is, and sometimes, ....Sometimes a Ford will get you down to the corner store just as well as a Ferrari.

And yes, it IS another story when we're discussing defensive armaments, reliability is paramount; a hit with a .380 is better than a misfire with a .44.

Saab1911

PlayboyPenguin said:
Concealability (size)
Ease of carry (weight)
Power
Ease of shooting (comfort/accuracy)
Appearance
As you can see, reliability is not even on the list. That is because I will not even consider a gun that I do not consider to have a reputation for 100% reliability. Even then, reputation is not enough to get a gun considered for CC. To even get rated the gun has to be perfectly reliable at the range first.

Do you have an evaluation form with weights assoicated with each category?

Now, that would be too much.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Not everyone requires the very best there is, and sometimes, ....Sometimes a Ford will get you down to the corner store just as well as a Ferrari.

I didn't say most expensive, I meant best for the job.

I had a friend with the "most expensive" bug. We were trying to build a drag car ('71 Nova SS, 406). He ran us out of money buying things for $1000 because the parts were "better" when a $600 part would have worked fine.

My point is get the best for what you need and don't waste money. If your life doesn't depend on it, it's another world but what fun is a gun that's unreliable?