How hot of load for New Vaquero, 45 colt

sixgunnin

I made some handloads for my .45 colt new vaquero, cast 255 grain RNFP, 9.5 grains Herco, I borrowed a chronograph and they clock in at 1035 fps. So is this a load that will not be abusive in the long run?

I really don't know and I cant find any info on the long term effects of using such rounds.

Dufus

By the books, your load is a max load for that particular handgun.

If it were me, I would back it down to 8.5 grn Herco.

Also if it were me, I would use a different powder. Something in the burn rate of Unique.

The effects of shooting max loads are that the handgun was designed to shoot less than 20kPSI. It will eventually take its toll and something could possibly come loose or break. Remember I said could not would.

The first Super Blackhawk that I had was hotrodded pretty good and it was constantly coming loose. I finally decided in one of my wiser youthful moments that I should back down some. This was a handgun that was designed to shoot loads in the 50kPSI range.

If you want a hot rod 45 Colt handgun, buy one that is appropriate for the task. There is a big difference in the construction between the New Vaquero and the Black Hawk for instance.

Berserker

People talk about manuals for Rugers, but I have never seen one. Maybe old ones. Maybe urban legend. You are still limited by case pressure.

44 special is one I will load over the manuals, depending on gun. They were wrote for old 44 specials, pre magnum. Not if 45 colt is same way. But I have put a bit of research into into, and only not that hot.

Real Gun

Should be no problem in a gun that will withstand above SAAMI spec, since it is sold in 45 ACP. I don't see a point in beating it that hard routinely though. If you are going to shoot heavier loads around the ranch, get some better bullets that will expand. The books I have say 9.0 is your top load without really pushing it, and that is for 250 gr, I believe.

My favorite is Power Pistol, which has some pizzazz but still within spec. Trailboss is more easy going.

Don Fischer

Strange I've been handloading handgun's close to 50yrs and still won't get very close to a max load. These days it's all cast bullet's. Now if it's a rifle shooting jacketed bullet's, going max or better is I can doesn't bother me!

Berserker

I've loaded up to max SWC and copper, maybe I am missing the signs, but no issue.

I only do .357, 44 spcl/mag, for handguns. Rifle so far so good too.

When loading to max you need to pay attention to seating depth. What you are doing may not be what they tested at. I have a number of manuals, and compare loads. Not all the same. Some will go higher by a bit.

mikejonestkd

the new vaquero is not designed for " ruger only " loads that you see in some load books.
I would not run it that hard, you are not doing that handgun any favors pushing the loads to the max.
Like Dufus said above- buy a Blackhawk if you want to push a 45 colt that hard and fast.

Real Gun

the new vaquero is not designed for " ruger only " loads that you see in some load books.
I would not run it that hard, you are not doing that handgun any favors pushing the loads to the max.
Like Dufus said above- buy a Blackhawk if you want to push a 45 colt that hard and fast.

Too many cite that without understanding the full context of "Ruger only". Look up the articles about loading 45 Colt and appreciate that there are 23k psi max loads separate from the full bore 30k psi max loads better suited to Blackhawks, Redhawks, original Vaquero, T/C Contender, and similar cannons. The New Vaquero is not the only Western style, modern production gun that can handle the loads between 14 and 23 k psi. The load the OP posted should be well within the New Vaquero's capabilities IMO.

Last edited:

LOLBELL

The Vaquero can handle the 30k psi loads, it's built on the larger frame. The New Vaquero should stay under the 23k psi loads.

Berserker

In all my modern books, I see no mention of right only. Some loads for #1s and different 45-70s.

Did they ever actually list right only? 20 year old manual does not list it.

LOLBELL

I think you mean Ruger Only loads ( I hate spell checker). Some manuals have loads listed as Ruger Only or Ruger and T/C only. I have a couple that has the Ruger only loads and a couple that don't. There is data out there for Tier I (14k), Tier II (20k), and Tier III (30k) loads for 45 Colt, but I have not seen these loads listed as such in any manuals. I think it was Brian Pierce that put out the Tier loads. You could probably find them in some of his writings.

https://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/PDF/HL 246partial.pdf

Pathfinder45

If you have a lot of Herco, by all means use it. That is a maximum load. I would run that load in my Vaquero, but for a New Vaquero, I would back it off at least 1/2 grain, maybe even a full grain. Remember that accuracy is more important than velocity. If you want the most velocity at an acceptable pressure, you could try some AA-9 or IMR-4227. A pound of powder won't go as far with those slower burning powders. You can burn a lot more powder for a modest increase in performance.

mikejonestkd

Too many cite that without understanding the full context of "Ruger only".

Realgun, the info straight from the Alliant website lists the above load as the max for Herco and 'standard loads' for the 45 colt.
If it was my gun I would not push it that hard - I don't see a point in beating it that hard routinely though. I agree with Pathfinder- back off the powder charge a bit and rest easy at night knowing that you are not running to the max.

I stand by my statement- if I wanted to get more out a 45 colt I would get a Blackhawk.

Last edited:

Real Gun

Realgun, the info straight from the Alliant website lists the above load as the max for Herco and 'standard loads' for the 45 colt.
If it was my gun I would not push it that hard - I don't see a point in beating it that hard routinely though. I agree with Pathfinder- back off the powder charge a bit and rest easy at night knowing that you are not running to the max.

I stand by my statement- if I wanted to get more out a 45 colt I would get a Blackhawk.

Before you try to represent the New Vaquero's limitations, you should be informed by the articles about loading above SAAMI standard, which is set to protect guns that are not as strong as a New Vaquero or any other gun that is also offered as a convertible in 45 ACP at 23k psi max. The NM Vaquero is not suitable for the full range of "Ruger-only" loads, but it can be loaded in the range between SAAMI max and approaching "Ruger-only". Herco is not mentioned as tested in that range, but the OP's 9.5 gr behind 255 gr is above Alliant's 9.0 max behind 250 grain.

Dufus

Alliant's 9.0 max behind 250 grain.

Alliant's max with a 250 LSWC and Herco is 9.5 grn. And I can assure that it does not exceed the established SAMMI guidelines for max pressure.

Therefore, it will be within the New Vaquero's design limits.

44 AMP

Staff
Just for comparison, the Speer #11 (1987) lists a max of 8.7 Herco with a 250gr LSWC.

Test gun was a 5.5" Colt SAA

The same book has a ".45 Colt for Ruger or Contender ONLY" section. Test gun is a 7.5" Ruger Blackhawk. It lists the same bullet, with loads in the 1200fps range.

It does NOT list Herco for that bullet (lead swc) but does list Herco loads for 200,225, 260gr Jacketed bullets.

Now, go figure out WHY, because I can't. Of course the answer might be as simple as they never bothered to test heavy loads of Herco with that particular bullet, or it might be that there was something "unsuitable" about Herco for that bullet & speed, though I can't imagine what that might have been.

The "listed max" loads are going to vary with everyone who lists it, dependent on the test material used, AND where the testers decided to stop.

It's the nature of the beast, so to speak.