How hard is it?

hbhobby

When I load my rifle rounds I have to pull the lever quite hard when resizing/depriming the brass, I mean REALLY hard like the wood on my bench crackles. Is this normal? I thought it was a lack of lube but have tried several types with similar results and have even had dimpled brass from too much lube. Just curious if I was doing it wrong or if it is normal
I load 7 mm rem Mag and .30-06 most of the time and full length size each time since I have several rifles chambered in the same caliber.

Northof50

Some brass can be stronger than others and some loads [generating more pressure] will make it more difficult. A lot will depend on your press and your bench as well as how securely it is attached. It takes a tremendous amount of force to form a case. It really is amazing how much pressure is generated by a press.

What type of press? How is it attached? What type of wood? What type of dies? Are the dies clean? What type of lube? Notice any difference between brass from different rifles?

Any answers will help.

condor bravo

It simply sounds like your press isn't up to the task. One thing you might consider is getting one of the massive number 3 Herter's press and all sizing problems disappear. These pressed have been discussed quite a bit on the forum. Not available new of course but some good used ones are out there. When getting one though, get the newer model that has a platform extending out from the bottom opening of the C frame. Easy to recognize in photos.

tranders

I have an old Rock Chucker and a Lyman T MagII turret and have no problem resizing 7.62x54R and .243 Winchester. I use Hornady's Unique lube.

I have heard good things about Imperial sizing wax.

If you are using liquid spray on lube,you must let it dry before sizing the brass.

mikld

What press are you using? Some presses have less leverage than others. I believe there are some single stage presses out there without compound leverage, just a handle and a ram (with little leverage/power)...

T. O'Heir

"...my bench crackles..." What's it made of? Mine started out as a cheap work bench kit from a lumber store. Has a particle board/OSB/crap top that broke on my very first use. Had to put a square foot of 1/4" steel plate on.
Doubt it has anything to do with the press. Can you post a picture?
"...tremendous amount of force to form a case..." Sometime, but hbhobby isn't forming cases.

jamaica

"A very sturdy bench is required."

Yes, this! and it is good also to fasten the bench to the wall. My bench has a 3/4 inch plywood top, but I reinforced the spot where the press mounts with a piece of 2x6 wood so at the spot the press mounts the table is 2 1/4 inch thick. Have fun!

gwpercle

Which Press and what brand of dies are you using.
7 mm Magnum can be a bear to full length resize...magnum = high pressure= more brass expanded and the cases are tougher.
A big sturdy press, securely mounted on a heavy bench will usually get the job done, good quality dies are finer finished for easier operation. Sizing in two steps often helps, partial sizing first then adjusting dies to completely full length size .
Remember , when a case goes into the sizing with a lot of effort...it's going to take a lot of force to get it out , and you run the risk of the rim being pulled off ...
Stuck Case is no fun !
Not all case lubes are created equal...what have you been using ? For hard jobs you need something old school , thick and greasy , spray on stuff isn't going to do it.
For tough jobs I use STP oil Treatment and full length resize in two steps.
My press is mounted to a 1/4 inch thick steel plate about 24" x 24" and all is bolted to a 1 1/2" thick top.
Gary

jugornot

As said any time I had to use excessive force, I stop before I stick a case and lube. I've used a pad, oneshot and homemade (Lanolin/Alcohol.) All have worked the homemade is probably best. I have run into cases that were very hard to put through the press and sprung back to original shoulder (no resizing.) The only way to get that out is to anneal. How many times have they been reloaded? Just slightly less than half a nickles worth.

jackstrawIII

Sounds like a lube problem to me. I resize cases up from 308 to 358 caliber in one pass all the time, and never have that much resistance. Cracking a wood bench is NOT normal.

I use Dillon spray lubrication, and the secret is getting the lube INSIDE the case mouth. I stand all the cases on their ends in a box and spray into them at and angle from each side, so the inside of the necks are fully coated. Do that, and there should be no problem operating your press.

hbhobby

I use a press just like this one
https://s3.amazonaws.com/mgm-conten...783_01_rcbs_single_stage_press_with_p_640.jpg
Dies are all lee or rcbs.
My bench is 3/4 plywood on 2x4 base. Bolted on with carriage bolts.
I have tried several different lubes from thick sticky stuff to waxy gooey to spray on to regular oli oil and grease. Some are better than others but still requires significant force to resize a case.
Luckily I have never had a case get stuck (yet)
Most brass is on its second to third reloading
Not a big deal as I will re-enforce the bench with some 3/16 steel I have laying around but was curious if I was doing something wrong

ammo.crafter

RCBS Jr

I bought this press 50 years ago and still use it when converting brass from one caliber to another. Great press.

Try case slik lube and spray the INSIDE of the cases as well as the outside.

Northof50

hbhobby - looks like an old RCBS Partner press, but cannot be certain. It also doesn't look like the arm has a compound leverage to it. So, you're probably not doing anything wrong and your lubes are fine. The newer presses have compound leverage linkage. Do a search for RCBS RockChucker or Partner press and you will see the difference in the link from the arm to the ram. You can certainly stiffen the platform [3/4 ply is not that strong] Until you get the steel in place, run 2 2x6 perpendicular to the working edge and under the table -- then run long carrage bolts through the ply and the 2x6. This will give the table more support and less likely to flex. The cracking you are hearing is skin of the plywood flexing. My guess is the effort you are exerting is due to the mechanical design of the press and the flex of the table top. For lube, I simply spray lube to a few paper towels laid out on the table, then roll the cases over. Works fine for me. For what it's worth

F. Guffey

I have 2 presses that are identical to the press in your link, my presses are not suspect but they do not have the leverage of a Rock Chucker. Most of my case sizing does not require anything special when it comes to lube. I have a lube that is not a case lube, the label is long gone, I call the lube 'no name'.

I do not lube the neck and I avoid lubing the shoulder. When sizing a case I start by adjusting the die overtime. When I start sizing I make sure the case gets sized.

A case has an ability to resist sizing, there is a chance the case has a greater ability to resist sizing than the press can overcome. Back to checking to see if the press won or the case won. If the case wins the die does not make it down to the shell holder, for me it is a matter of measuring the gap between the bottom of the die and top of the shell holder.

When the going gets difficult I go to the 'no-name lube' especially when case forming. I have 16 forming dies, there are times case forming gets tuff. Again, the lube makes the difference.

I purchased a new rifle from Winchester with the ugliest chamber I have ever seen. The length from the shoulder to the bolt face was too long, the diameter of the case was too large and the chamber was gouged. I went to the range with two Winchester 300 Win. Mags. The Winchester shot patterns like a shot gun and the Weatherby shot one hole groups when shooting the same ammo.

The cases shot in the Winchester could not be sized in a Winchester 300 Winchester Mag dies. I sent the Winchester back to Winchester, we had words. I wanted a rifle with a chamber that matched my dies or I wanted Winchester to make me a set of dies that matched their chamber.

F. Guffey

F. Guffey

hbhobby - looks like an old RCBS Partner press, but cannot be certain.

I have a Partner, it is aluminum. The partner does not have a lot of leverage. I tested the one I have, I suggest if anyone is going to road test one use eye protection.

F. Guffey

Nathan

That press is a bit small, but your real issue is the bench top. I think if you add a 1” thickness of solid wood above and below the bench top, as well as big washers..., you should be ok. Use lock washers.