How hard is it to change out a mainspring housing on a 1911?

lonegunman

Specifically, I am talking about a Springfield with that new lock thing on the mainspring housing... it is an officer's size gun, if that makes a difference.

nemesis

It's all pretty logical as long as you remember that the pin only goes in and out one way. Probably the hardest part is holding in the spring cap while depressing the spring and pushing out the retaining pin. It helps to have the right tool or extra hands.

Press it against the table. That allows you to align the mainspring housing so as to insert the pin. Opps. Don't use the dining room table or the missus will deal you a can of whoop-a**. Place it on a sheet of plywood or a 2x4 instead and she won't be sending you to sleep with Rover.

9x19

If replacing an ILS housing, along with a new MSH, you will need a new main spring cap, main spring cap retaining pin and a new main spring.

rlpinca

Good advice 4v50 Gary. I have a BIG scrape on my coffe table from trying to put my gun together.

The mainspring housing is fairly easy to get off, but it can be a pain in the a$$ to get back together. Sometimes they'll go together smooth as can be, but others will give you a stroke from fighting with it.

Here's a good set of instructions for it.

http://www.m1911.org/stripin1.htm

H46Driver

I changed mine out along as well as installing a C&S kit to lighten the trigger pull. 9x19 has it right with the parts that you will need. I put a Wilson flat housing on my Springfield (ILS) and it slid right in. Good luck.

blades67

Replacing the mainspring housing as a complete unit is easy. Removing and replacing the mainspring in the housing is the real pain.

nyetter

I changed just the mainspring in mine, which entailed removing the housing and disassembling it. It seems replacing one housing with another would be very similar. I didn't have any problem with it, except that I shot the mainspring cap at the ceiling once ;)

For a challenge, try replacing the mainspring in a Ruger MkII :mad: :barf:

dsk

This past weekend I picked up a nice 1913-vintage Colt 1911. Only thing was, somebody had installed the hammer pin in the MS housing pin hole and vice-versa! The gun still worked, too.