How Hard? Changing USP from righty to lefty??

Bullwinkle

How hard is it to change the trigger/safety set up on a USP from right to left or to change the whole trigger steup (DA/SA/Decocker, etc)? Is it a do-it-yourselfer? How much for the parts? Are they easy to get? How long does the switch take? Are the procedures and parts model interchangable??

TIA.

Onslaught

I had mine done at the shop I bought it from. It took about 5 minutes. They did it for free, and just kept the old lever as "payment". It's ONLY a lever swap, but you kinda have to know what you're doing to do the deed. It didn't look that hard, it was just a unique process.

I've been told that HK will do it for $25, but I'd look around and find someone locally who can do it.

Shake

This is heresay, but I was under the impression H&K doesn't want anyone doing it unless they're an H&K armorer. I have heard they are pretty particular about shipping any parts of thay type unless its going to someone who is an armorer. Again, these might be rumors. If it were me I would call H&K and ask who could do it for you locally.

Shake

selfdefense4me

From looking at a current catalog, it states somehwere in there that HK wants to do the work in-house. Don't remember for sure if they would approve having it done at HK armorer.

Have heard similar stories to the effect that HK will not ship part for job. Suggest calling them (good luck, their voice mail system is a joke).

Onslaught

No, you don't have to do all that 'stuff' like drifting out pins. You just remove the slide, take off the little 'clip' on the side, and remove the safety lever. It's tricky, but there are definitely no punches needed. Just a small screwdriver for leverage.

Everyone's right though, HK wants to do it themselves, and they WON'T send you the parts to do it.

I don't see the safety levers on the fountainarms site, but I'll give 'em a call. It would be nice to have an ambi on my HK, even though my wife's a leftie too. (offhand and all that).

slojim

Seems like a bad deal they only want to do it themselves, but they are probably protecting themselves, as they include a lifetime warranty with their guns purchased new.

Psycho

To answer Bullwinkle's original question, yes it is a do-it-yourselfer IF you are mechanically inclined. I myself used the instructions on the link that Cawdor posted to take my USP apart. It is good enough to the point of getting the trigger group apart.

It was in the reassembly process that I had trouble with. One of the parts (I think it was the disconnector) had a hole that needed to line up with a small pin before everything could come together. That wasn't in the instructions and it took me a while to figure it out.

Some tips: Keep the manual in front of you. The exploded diagram will be very useful. Print out the instructions on the link. Also, do it under a lamp so you can see the small springs tucked inside. Be patient, NOTHING needs to be forced into place. If it doesn't want to go in, then it probably doesn't belong there.

Bottom line, yes it is doable in about 30 minutes.

As for the parts, call HK. They will refer you to a company named SPC who sells the parts (sorry I don't have SPC's number in front of me).