horatioo

At a hundred yards if I could consisitently hit with iron sights
  • a basketball size target
  • a volley ball size target
  • a softball size target
  • a tennis ball size target
  • a golf ball size target
  • a marble size target

What is the biggest one I could consistently hit and you still think I was a 'good' shot? Not great or anything, just good?

Thanks

Last edited:

zoomie

With what rifle? With a custom 6mmBR, a "good" shot could hit a golf ball. With an iron-sighted Marlin 444, a "good" shot could hit a softball, maybe volleyball.

Ifishsum

It would depend some on the rifle used - for a typical scoped bolt action from a supported position I'd say softball = good, golf ball = excellent, marble = amazing. For a semi with iron sights I'd probably cut you a little more slack and bump the scale up a size.

Jimro

For hunting, from a standing position with no rest, three shots into a pie plate at 100 yards is a good shot. From the bench off of sandbags with the same hunting rifle, into a baseball is a good shot.

With a service match rifle or tactical F class rifle, from a standing position, into a baseball is a good shot. From sandbags into a golf ball is a good shot.

With a benchrest rifle, from a benchrest, into a marble is not going to win matches. Need tighter groups than that.

Being a good shot isn't always about group size, it is about accomplishing your intent when you pull the trigger. If your target is the 12" heart/lung area of a deer and you can put lead into that EVERY time at 100 yards, that is good shooting.

Jimro

mapsjanhere

Open sights, accuracy of your rifle +1". If your garand produces 1" groups from a benchrest, a good shot should hit a tennis ball reliably. But you can easily get a garand with which you're lucky to get 5 rounds on a volley ball.

horatioo

Open sights, accuracy of your rifle +1". If your garand produces 1" groups from a benchrest, a good shot should hit a tennis ball reliably. But you can easily get a garand with which you're lucky to get 5 rounds on a volley ball.

I am getting my Garand from CMP. I thought these guns were supposed to be pretty accurate. Is that not so? I think I am going to join a range this spring and they have a 500 yard range, I think. I want to learn how to shoot out to that distance. Are you suggesting my Garand might not be capable of that unless I get a 'good' one?

Thanks

Jimro

A rack grade Garand shooting service M2 ball ammo should give you about 4-5 inch groups at 100 if everything is in good working order.

If a rack grade Garand shoots tighter than that, consider yourself lucky.

You can usually develop a handload for a particular rifle that cuts the groups considerably if you have a decent throat, bore, and crown on your barrel. For a Garand I'd get an adjustable gas plug so I could use longer/heavier bullets to wring more accuracy.

Jimro

L_Killkenny

I like the response of plus 1". You aren't gonna hit a marble much from field positions with a gun only capable of 3 moa off a bench. 1" might be a little tight though. Let's make it 2" instead before you are good. 1" would be excellent.

Good =
1 moa gun = 3" offhand
2 moa gun = 4" offhand
3 moa gun = 5" offhand
etc, etc, etc

LK

BTW, looking at my definition, I need to do some work!!!!

horatioo

I am getting a service grade M1 Garand. What kind of groups should I expect with that?

I have an norinco SKS now. Will the Garand be more accurate then that? I dont know how accurate the SKS is.

I am just getting more involved in shooting and only shoot a 22 at 25 meters in practice. I dont have a lot more length to shoot right now.

azredhawk44

A shot-out garand may not keep 4MOA (4" circle, or roughly a softball).

That same shot-out garand, with a new barrel, may shoot 1.5MOA with surplus and 0.75MOA with match ammo.

A garand with a good barrel can shoot a perfectly good 2MOA. It's just a question of whether or not the shooter adds more error to the rifle's accuracy potential.

To me, a good field position shooter adds no more than 2MOA error to his rifle's accuracy potential.

The cynical part of me suggests that a "good" bench shooter slaps his rifle into a lead sled, secures the butt, ties a string around the trigger, steps back 10 feet and gently pulls the string.:rolleyes: Not much left to the shooter when bench shooting since he's not supporting the rifle at all.

I'm a good shooter from prone and seated. I'm still pretty wobbly when standing though, using only a sling for rifle support.

PetahW

"At a hundred yards if I could consisitently hit with iron sights:
*a basketball size target
*a volley ball size target
*a softball size target
*a tennis ball size target
* golf ball size target
* marble size target

What is the biggest one I could consistently hit and you still think I was a 'good' shot?
Not great or anything, just good? Thanks"

None of the above.

I'm with Jimro - IMO a "good shot" is a person who can consistantly hit their target with their FIRST shot, regardless of it's size, especially at a random/unknown distance.

dgludwig

Most things are relative and I think this question is. For instance, how well I could shoot when I was 20 years old as compared to what I can shoot at age 66. Whereas golf balls used to be the norm, I'm now happy with softballs. :eek:

horatioo

I'm with Jimro - IMO a "good shot" is a person who can consistantly hit their target with their FIRST shot, regardless of it's size, especially at a random/unknown distance.

So a guy shooting at the center ring of a target and misses a lot, but is consistently close, you would say he is not a good shot? By that definition I am a better shot then some world class shooter, because I can hit my 25 yard target and they miss their 1000 yard target.

Chipperman

If you are shooting a run of the mill M1 Garand off-hand with iron sights.

I'd call you a decent shooter if you could consistently hit a volleyball at 100 yards.

I'd call you a good shooter if you could consistently hit a softball at 100 yards.

I'd call you a great shooter if you could consistently hit a tennis ball at 100 yards.

That's my opinion of it.

NWPilgrim

If you are shooting a run of the mill M1 Garand off-hand with iron sights.

I'd call you a decent shooter if you could consistently hit a volleyball at 100 yards.

I'd call you a good shooter if you could consistently hit a softball at 100 yards.

I'd call you a great shooter if you could consistently hit a tennis ball at 100 yards.

That's my opinion of it.

+1 with Chipperman

We often shoot at a gravel pit with AR15 and M1 Garand (CMP service grade, no mods) and once warmed up at various distances can hit clay pigeons at 90-100 yds about 3 out of 4 times from standing, no sling. With a fairly new AR15 I can hit them about 9 times out of ten same distance and position. This is not slow deliberate fire, just plinking/blasting. A clay pigeon is maybe 4" or 5" at most.

I don't consider myself a great shot, maybe a good one. At least a decent shot. Getting harder with 55 yr old eyes to get that front sight sharp!

I think hits would go way up with any kind of scope, using a sling, or supported position like sitting, prone, or a rest.

LongRifles Inc.

300 meter free rifle competitors shoot at an X ring that's 1.5" in diameter. It's 20 rounds standing, kneeling, and prone (60 total) all shot with iron sights.

You better be 297 or higher and a 80% X count at a world/international event to have any hopes of taking a medal home. Quite often shooters go clean on the course.

Pathfinder45

A good shot on paper.....

......is a lot different than a good shot on game. A deer at 100 yards with a kill zone the size of a basket-ball sounds easy enough but you have to get that shot off before he wanders off into the brush. Trying to be too precise can sometimes work against a hunter. Target shooting is a whole different game. You have to beat someone else's score, rather than bring home the venison.