How good is Tanfoglio?

Saab1911

I can't figure out Tanfoglio. I know that some of you are saying Tan-who?
Tanfoglio makes EAA Witness, which you can pick up LNIB for $1.50.
Apparently, Tanfoglio managed to enslave a bunch of elves who work for
peanuts but produce very high quality work.

Is Tanfoglio the best kept secret in handguns? They copied from CZ, yes, but
CZ essentially copied Sig 210.

Does Tanfoglio produce products which are as high quality as CZ's products?

Are Tanfoglio pistols higher quality and offered at cheaper prices than
Beretta pistols?

Why do these guys charge so little for their fine products? What's wrong with
them?

Cheers,

Jae

wingman

I have a witness elite match 45acp nice pistol, accurate, I think biggest
problem is EAA service as it seems to be a big issue on various boards.

bennnn

EAA,,,

Why do these guys charge so little for their fine products? What's wrong with
them?

Most real shooters who buy them buy them for the frames,, and work upwards from there.

ever heard of the Olympics?

Bill DeShivs

Tanfoglio used to make medium quality guns of the Beretta genre.
Lately, they have been getting into the higher-end gun business.

Dfariswheel

Tanfoglio got into the CZ-75 "clone" business in the 70's and were the actual maker of virtually all the CZ-75 copies sold by many companies.

Among other's, Tanfoglio made the complete gun or semi-finished parts for:
European American Armory (EAA).
F.I.E. TZ series.
Excam.
Springfield P9.
Gambia.
Action Arms AT series.
Some early parts for the Sphinx.
And had some sort of relationship with the new Turkish Armalite AR-24.

Their guns are considered to be "best buys" by owners.
While not usually up to the standards of the CZ guns, they are good, accurate, serviceable guns.
I actually prefer my limited production stainless steel EAA Witness .45 auto to the CZ-97B.

imp

IMO, tanfoglios are the best kept secret in handguns. I have a fullsize 9mm P/S (polymer frame) and a P-carry in .45 (gonna get the 10mm conversion if I can find one). The 9mm has been 100% flawless for the 4 years since I bought it. The .45 didn't like wide-mouth hollowpoints like the Gold-Dot to begin with, but with a good polishing it has been perfect feeding anything as well.

The P-carry is my overall favorite pistol that I own. It's commander size, as slim as a single stack 1911, the DA trigger is better than any da/sa that I own, the SA trigger is like breaking etched glass, it's accurate as can be, and holds 10+1 rounds of .45. I like it so much that, in the winter, its my carry gun instead of my Sig P220. I can't brag enough about this gun.

I don't know about the quality of the older tanfoglio/witness's. I bought the P/S in 2004 and the P-Carry about a year ago, and I have many rounds through both, and they are both rock solid. I've also heard horror stories about customer service, but knock on wood, I haven't needed to contact them yet.

Hope that helps.

Saab1911

I don't know about the quality of the older tanfoglio/witness's. I bought the P/S in 2004 and the P-Carry about a year ago, and I have many rounds through both, and they are both rock solid. I've also heard horror stories about customer service, but knock on wood, I haven't needed to contact them yet.

It appears that Tanfoglio is doing themselves a big disservice by associating
themsevles with EAA. If they distribute their own guns with good marketing
and customer service they probably could charge more for their pistols and
rake in some money.

powwowell

Best Value. Period.

I think highly of my Witness. It's the best value going. Luckily, I've not had to deal with EAA service. I read bad things about it though.

I thought so much so the Witness that I bought a CZ P-01. If I liked the clone so much, then I would really dig the origiinal. Right? Well the CZ is great too. For general shooting, the Witness is the best. It suits me to a tee. The CZ is lighter and smaller.

It looks like Tanfoglio may also be making parts for the Armscor CZ clone.

ISC

I saw a TZ 75 9mm yesterday at the gun shop for $225. It was beat up and well used, but for a high capacity DA/SA pistol with a decocker it seemed pretty good.

Saab1911

I bet Tanfoglio has helped CZ's reputation. If CZ clones had been made by
say Taurus, CZ may not have the reputation that it enjoys now in America.

Borch

My witness p-compact is definately the one that got away. I deeply regret selling this gun. In the 5 years I owned it, it functioned flawlessly, was not ammo fussy and it was a great size for CC. The only issue I had with this gun was that it waas hard to find quality spare mags for it, usually had to go to gun shows and they were expensive. I see that parts and accessories for these guns are now becoming more widely available though.

Firepower!

Force 99

Tangfolio Force99 in 9mm is awesome pistol with excellant ergo and durability/reliability marks.

In my hands it feels better then crude CZ75.

andrewskaggs

My brother has a TA-90 that is a sweet shooter. Feels comfortable in my hand and points well. The first mag I put through it produced a pretty small grouping from about 50 ft.

TATER

Didnt Tanfoglio also have somthin to do with the "baby" Eagle from Magnum Reserch?
Yes..... Jericho, UZI Eagle and then Baby Eagle
Tanfoglio made and IMI assembled in Israel.

ranburr

Anything in the "Elite" series will be first rate. The standard line is hit or miss. I had one full size .45 that was fantastic and one that was very rough. I have two Elite Stocks in 10mm and 38Super that are fantastic guns at any price.